s

LeakingSink251

s

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another" Ernest Hemingway

codeacademy.com

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

codeacademy.com

It's codecademy, without the a.

There's also a pinned thread in this section with a myriad of resources.

You could also try khanacademy, the lessons are kinda for 10 year olds but it works. Also it uses the ProcessingJS library so it uses functions like ellipse(x, y, height, width); that aren't in normal JavaScript

Watch out behind you!

Go to school lol

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

It's codecademy, without the a.

There's also a pinned thread in this section with a myriad of resources.

It redirects to codecademy even with the a:)

˙ǝɯᴉʇ ɹnoʎ ƃuᴉʇsɐʍ ǝɹɐ noʎ 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ ƃuᴉʎɹʇ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟI

It has been a very big interest for me for the better part of my life... I would really like some input on how i can learn to code not anything fancy but not as simple as Hello World.

First find out what you're interested in, for example, website development, app development, games, databases etc... Then I would grab a book on that subject aswell as codecademy and so on. My biggest tip to you is exhaust ever resource you can in order to learn the language. What I mean is, don't just focus on using one source of information like a book, but instead use books, codecademy, youtube, forums, and even meetups with other programmers. 

It has been a very big interest for me for the better part of my life... I would really like some input on how i can learn to code not anything fancy but not as simple as Hello World.

There are 3 main groups of programming resources.

- Books

- Online courses (codecademy.com, khanacademy.org)

- Youtube series

You can use one or more of these resources to become a good programmer in whatever language you choose (I recommend python if you can't decide) and from there you can add languages to your repetoir.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

s

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another" Ernest Hemingway

s

I'm in school taking web design and video game design. Still In HS.

We were born 9 days apart :) I was born the 17th of November in 2000, I takeEarly College classs though sl C# is one of them.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

As mentioned before it definitely depends on what exactly you're interested in doing. There are a lot of different concepts that all build on each other if you're interested in proper development. Learning a language is fine, but learning the underlying concepts is better IMHO. If you're interested in going into it fully I couldn't recommend a degree in IT, focussed on development, more. But in all honesty, most developers these days don't seem to have that and still do fine.

If you're looking for the complete package, I'd say to have a look on https://www.google.com/about/careers/students/guide-to-technical-development.html. It's intended for people trying to improve their technical skills for Google, but they include links for a lot of free course material.

Other than that, youtube is a great source of information, as well as Coursera, Udacity, and Udemy. Some of their stuff requires payment, but if I remember correctly, you can view the content for free. I may be mistaken though. There is also the aforementioned CodeAcademy. There is also Lynda.com, but you will definitely need to pay for that. As you get into development you can also have a look at http://www.codewars.com/ which is a site with real world challenges you can complete. They get quite tough, but they do improve your ability to problem solve.

Hope that helps.

s

A few more things, if you're looking for a language to learn, I'd recommend C++ as your first. Most people advocate Python, but if you're going to go into depth with development and want to explore the underlying concepts, C++ won't hide the ugliness of computers from you, and it'll still give you access to Object Orientated stuff. I learnt it first and I think it definitely helped me grasp concepts in "easier" languages faster.

Learn programming by.. programming! For your uses, Python would be great IMO.

May I suggest learning C if your intention is to study Computer Science in higher education. The principles of C will show up in many other languages (especially Java, Python, C++ and many other C based languages).

Another reason to learn C is because it is reasonably close to the machine language (therefor it is often called a higher assembly language). Things like 'optimization techniques' and such will be much clearer if you learn C first.