2 power supplies for 1 pc...waaaaa

Boyce05

As a solution to my power supply going boom boom bang, i have devised a plan using 2 lower power psus 1 for my cpu and 1 for my gpu. If anyone knows why this wouldn't work could you please comment.Thanks

What GPU are you planning to get? 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

get a real power supply

he already has an EVGA 500w 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

As a solution to my power supply going boom boom bang, i have devised a plan using 2 lower power psus 1 for my cpu and 1 for my gpu. If anyone knows why this wouldn't work could you please comment.Thanks in advance

Yup works fine, just make sure to bridge the 24pin green wire to any black wire on the PSU or wire it up to the power switch if u don't wanna flick switch on the GPU PSU every-time! Good luck ;) 

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Yeah i did until it blew and its only for a week or two maximum

As a solution to my power supply going boom boom bang,

The solution to a power supply going "boom boom bang" is to RMA it and/or buy something higher quality next time. I don't see how having two power supplies solves that problem whatsoever.

It will but you need to trick one of your psu's that isnt plugged into the mobo. using a paperclip

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

he already has an EVGA 500w 

In theory this would work, but I would rather not endanger my $2000 system over a 90 or 100 dollar power supply.

get a real power supply

+1, it is a good idea how ever blunt @lexidobe put it ;) a good quality PSU will last u for years most cases!

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

The heat....

But it doesn't have as much...

but

but

I don't have a good reason to say no...besides the fact that you need two seperate outlets in your chassis

Shipping sucks

Yeah i did until it blew and its only for a week or two maximum

just get another EVGA 500w :/ i wouldn't recommend getting 2 15 dollar PSUs 

Usually if your power supply goes, you get a new, high quality one that can support your entire system all by itself.

You arent reading this right! I already have these and i am planning on only using them as a temporary solution

You arent reading this right! I already have these and i am planning on only using them as a temporary solution

Usually if your power supply goes, you get a new, high quality one that can support your entire system all by itself.

just get another EVGA 500w :/ i wouldn't recommend getting 2 15 dollar PSUs

+1, it is a good idea how ever blunt @lexidobe put it ;) a good quality PSU will last u for years most cases!

The solution to a power supply going "boom boom bang" is to RMA it and/or buy something higher quality next time. I don't see how having two power supplies solves that problem whatsoever.

my last comment sums up why i am doing it, i know a decent power supply is important, my last one blew because the ovp worked

my last comment sums up why i am doing it, i know a decent power supply is important, my last one blew because the ovp worked

At this day and age basically there isn't a need for this since there are high wattage units and would be better to just invest in one large one now, but if you want to know of a solution it can be done with a jumper like theses which basically will turn on both PSU's at the same time:

http://www.amazon.com/Vantacor-Dual-Adapter-Cable-2-way/dp/B00DL3L2J6

You can but it come with risk. I would always use one if possible. only use more then 1 IF you plan on using more then 1200+W. I know people that BTC minded on GPUs use to use 2 1200W PSU to run like 6 cards on 1 machine.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

You can but it come with risk. I would always use one if possible. only use more then 1 IF you plan on using more then 1200+W. I know people that BTC minded on GPUs use to use 2 1200W PSU to run like 6 cards on 1 machine.

whats the risk?

Alright. But I still don't understand how you start with a power supply blowing up, and conclude that therefore you need two. There's something in the middle that's missing. Why not just get one PSU that suits your power needs on its own?

whats the risk?

Your basically having two points of failure with more connections, in general if they are both quality units it will be less of an issue but noise from one unit can be amplified by the other making power possibly quality worst.

Alright. But I still don't understand how you start with a power supply blowing up, and conclude that therefore you need two. There's something in the middle that's missing. Why not just get one PSU that suits your power needs on its own?

well mine went boom i have some old ones which i can use as a TEMPORARY solution until i buy one single ok?

well mine went boom i have some old ones which i can use as a TEMPORARY solution until i buy one single ok?

Personally I would just wait until you buy a new unit for a peace of mind, just less risk to using two lesser units than a single quality one.

What are the 2 old ones, so we can see if they are of at least good quality. still don't recommend it though.

think of it if you have 2 good PSU (95%) its like .95 x .95 = .90 (90%) but if you have some low end PSU (70%) .7 x .7 = .49 (49%), this is basic representation of decay of a series system. I would only do this with really high end PSUs. you don't want to brake other parts of your PC.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc