AMD chipset confusion

Go to solution Solved by NinjaStyle013,

An APU with a graphics card is a good way to go here.

On chipsets, anything A I think is APU, 990 is usually fully support FX CPUs and 760 is fully FX supported but only with bios updates unless it has a revision or something.

So yeah I'm thinking of building a low end gaming pc (£300($450)) so AMD was the obvious choice, but the problem is, I don't  have a clue what all of the chipset numbers mean  :wacko: ( I know Intel really well from linus' videos, but it's too expensive  :unsure: )

Can someone help me out with figuring out what I need? I've tried Google, and it doesn't help that much, so I thought I would try here.

Sorry if I appear to be really new and annoying, but I tried my best

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I don't like saying this but at that budget you are better off going with console like a ps4 it will give you better performance for the money, unless your friends play pc and you want pc exclusives 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

So yeah I'm thinking of building a low end gaming pc (£300($450)) so AMD was the obvious choice, but the problem is, I don't have a clue what all of the chipset numbers mean :wacko: ( I know Intel really well from linus' videos, but it's too expensive :unsure: )

Can someone help me out with figuring out what I need? I've tried Google, and it doesn't help that much, so I thought I would try here.

Sorry if I appear to be really new and annoying, but I tried my best

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

I could try to make a build for you at that price, but $450 is a really hard price to hit, do you need windows?
 i7-4770K, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB, Samsung 840 120GB, 2xSeagate Barracuda 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ACX Cooler, NZXT Phantom 820, Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold, 2xASUS VH238H Build Log- http://bit.ly/1bWZKu6

I don't like saying this but at that budget you are better off going with console like a ps4 it will give you better performance for the money, unless your friends play pc and you want pc exclusives 

I understand what you're saying, but my friends play PC and I'd also be using it for rendering videos, sorry, I should have said that originally  :mellow:

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I understand what you're saying, but my friends play PC and I'd also be using it for rendering videos, sorry, I should have said that originally  :mellow:

I recommend saving till at least £500-600 for a decent build £300 will not get you much in terms of anything probably a used PC at that or something with integrated graphics like a pentium even then its a steep budget.

it denpens on what games u are playing 

i did a low end one for my cosuin for like 300 dollars all used parts but it works 

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£83.28 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£38.69 @ Ebuyer)
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£46.80 @ Aria PC)
Video Card:  MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card  (£73.35 @ Amazon UK)
Case:  Cooler Master RC-361-KKN1 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£26.82 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply:  XFX 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  (£34.99 @ Maplin Electronics)
Total: £303.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 00:02 BST+0100)

Here you go good sir ^_^ should be able to run anything you through at it at medium settings (maybe lower in some of the more intensive games)

Just thought I'd add that it can indeed run BF3 at relatively high settings.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£83.28 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£38.69 @ Ebuyer)

Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£46.80 @ Aria PC)

Video Card:  MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card  (£73.35 @ Amazon UK)

Case:  Cooler Master RC-361-KKN1 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£26.82 @ Scan.co.uk)

Power Supply:  XFX 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  (£34.99 @ Maplin Electronics)

Total: £303.93

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 00:02 BST+0100)

Here you go good sir ^_^ should be able to run anything you through at it at medium settings (maybe lower in some of the more intensive games)

Just thought I'd add that it can indeed run BF3 at relatively high settings.

What if he needs windows though  :unsure:

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Oh yeah that's true :/ well he could always get it from MSDN and do the 60 day thing until he has enough to get it?

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

If he needs windows he can open a window in a web browser. Naaimsayinn?

On chipsets, anything A I think is APU, 990 is usually fully support FX CPUs and 760 is fully FX supported but only with bios updates unless it has a revision or something.

Thanks, this was exactly the type of thing that I wanted someone to post!  :D

Thanks, this was exactly the type of thing that I wanted someone to post!  :D

You can check with the distributor what version the bios is, the guy I'm getting my board from (ECS A950M) said he would put in an old CPU, flash the bios to latest and send it.

Cheers for making my answer best, I appreciate it.

OK, on AM3+ there's the following chipsets available

760G Entry level with cheep boards, tends to be missing stuff like SATA3 or much ability to overclock. But it does have onboard graphics unlike the rest.

There there is the latest generation of chip sets the main difference is their PCIe support, however higher end boards will have higher end chipsets the 990FX chipset isn't inherently a better overclocker than the 970.

970 One Card at 16x, 990X Two Cards at 8x8x, 990FX, Two cards at 16x16x or even four cards all at 8x on some boards. 

On FM2 there are thee

A55 Only has SATA 2 and USB2.

A75 The middle of the road one.

A85x supports more hard drives and RAID 5.