Fool's gold could mean faster-charging batteries

Dobbsjr

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3004829/components/nanoparticle-breakthrough-could-mean-faster-charging-batteries.html

However, the team discovered that when using iron pyrite quantum dots, the battery stores energy in a fundamentally different way, and the same chemical reaction doesn't occur. The work was led by graduate student Anna Douglas.

In a conventional lithium ion battery, the lithium ions enter a storage material during charging and leave during discharge. When lithium ions enter the prototype battery they react with the iron pyrite molecules -- which are comprised of one iron atom and two sulfur atoms -- to form lithium sulphur, and the iron atom moves out. On discharge, the reverse happens and the iron pyrite is reformed.

I think we can all agree that shorter charging times are awesome. Maybe Linus' battery needs will be fulfilled soon.

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

Maybe Fool's Gold was valuable...  :blink:

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

haha I always liked to imagine every element is there for a reason! This is proof of that.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

that's a lot more taking place, I can't see these types of batteries having as long a lifespan when exposed to constant reconstructing on the molecular level. Also heat could be a problem, I will admit though, I've not looked far enough into the chemical reactions to figure out if it is or not.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Very interesting non-the-less.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

haha I always liked to imagine every element is there for a reason! This is proof of that.

Fool's gold isn't an element, it's FeS2.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Fools gold isn't an element.

Fool's gold isn't an element, it's FeS2.

Damn it! You beat me to it. :(