Apple store asks black students to leave for fear of theft.

killcomic

A group of African born students in Melbourne were asked to leave by staff at an Apple store and were told 'We're worried you might steal something'.

"These guys are just a bit worried about your presence in our store," an Apple staff member is heard telling the teenagers. "They're just a bit worried you might steal something."

Advertisement

The students appear shocked by the accusation and despite their protests are asked to leave.

"Guys, end of discussion, I need to ask you to leave our store," the staff member says.

The six Year 10 students involved in the incident say they were shocked by their treatment.

"I've been coming to Highpoint for a long time and I never thought something like this would happen ... of course I was offended," Mabior Ater told Fairfax Media on Wednesday.

1447275400107.jpg

Students Petrie Alemu, Mabior Ater, Mihamed Semra, Ese Oseghale and Gereng Dere go to Apple at Highpoint Shopping Centre for the store's apology. Photo: Rachel Wells

A spokeswoman from Apple said it was looking into the situation but said Apple was committed to cultural diversity and inclusion.

The spokeswoman supplied a quote from Apple chief executive Tim Cook, which reads: "We want every person who joins our team, every customer visiting our stores or calling for support to feel welcome.

"We believe in equality for everyone, regardless of race, age, gender, gender identity, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation. That applies throughout our company, around the world with no exceptions."

It is understood a private security guard hired by Apple first raised concerns about the teenagers being in the store. It was an Apple staff member who was shown in the video asking the teenagers to leave. A Highpoint security staff member was called to attend the incident, but did not get involved in the dispute.

Highpoint Centre Manager Ryan Ling said: "Melbourne's West is a multicultural area and we want to stress that Highpoint welcomes all guests."

Source (Sydney Morning Herald): http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/were-worried-you-might-steal-something-apple-ejects-six-black-students-then-apologises-following-claims-of-racism-20151111-gkwkd0.html

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

inb4 all of the "THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I DON'T LIKE APPLE"

No it's not.

This is why is don't like apple

Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one - Emmett Lathrop "DocBrown 

So some employees at an Apple Store were racist. Many other stores also have racist employees, but they don't always get in the news. Apple will most likely make sure that stuff like this doesn't happen again, so imo it's pointless to hate on Apple because of this, unless this happens repeatedly.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

that is some next level racism... why did he do it?

Doesn't sound next level to me. But it is bad.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

So was it because of Apple employees felt that way, or customers felt that way and complained to Apple employees? The later seems far more likely.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

So was it because of Apple employees felt that way, or customers felt that way and complained to Apple employees? The later seems far more likely.

Considering that they are not turning other people away other than a bunch of black kids because they might steal something, it's not hard to see the angle the Apple store was taking.

That's pretty dang awful. Although I'm sure the employee/employees in question are going to get reprimanded or let go for this, I can't see any company letting a worker do something like that without consequences. Especially with the statement from the Apple spokeswoman.

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

Considering that they are not turning other people away other than a bunch of black kids because they might steal something, it's not hard to see the angle the Apple store was taking.

So Apple Store is definitely racist?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Or....  race had nothing to do with it and the private security guard saw something suspicious.   But hey a group of kids gets asked to leave and they are black so that MUST be the cause.

Fun fact, APPLE requires ALL employees with bags to be searched when leaving the store because they are afraid of theft.   Note every one of them has a backpack on, and APPLE cant search them.  

*EDIT*  To be clear I have no idea the cause, BUT THERE IN NO WAY THAT ENOUGH INFORMATION HAS BEEN RELEASED FOR ANYONE TO DEFINITIVELY KNOW WHAT THE CAUSE WAS.  Any presumption as to cause is speculation.

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

That's pretty dang awful. Although I'm sure the employee/employees in question are going to get reprimanded or let go for this, I can't see any company letting a worker do something like that without consequences. Especially with the statement from the Apple spokeswoman.

I would assume that you'd be unaware of this, but what makes this worse for Apple is that discrimination, whether age, race, sex or political allegiance, is illegal in Australia. So Apple could have broken the law.

So Apple Store is definitely racist?

Well, the person who kicked them out probably is, but what makes it worse is that discrimination of any kind is illegal in Australia, so even if they got kicked out for being teenagers, Apple still could be charged with discrimination.

Or.... race had nothing to do with it and the private security guard saw something suspicious. But hey a group of kids gets asked to leave and they are black so that MUST be the cause.

Fun fact, APPLE requires ALL employees with bags to be searched when leaving the store because they are afraid of theft. Note every one of them has a backpack on, and APPLE cant search them.

*EDIT* To be clear I have no idea the cause, BUT THERE IN NO WAY THAT ENOUGH INFORMATION HAS BEEN RELEASED FOR ANYONE TO DEFINITIVELY KNOW WHAT THE CAUSE WAS. Any presumption as to cause is speculation.

I assume you don't know Australian law, but searching bags cannot be enforced legally. Also, discrimination of any kind is illegal too. So even if they got asked to leave just for being kids, still a breach of the anti-discrimination act.

Well, the person who kicked them out probably is, but what makes it worse is that discrimination of any kind is illegal in Australia, so even if they got kicked out for being teenagers, Apple still could be charged with discrimination.

That doesn't make the person racist. For all you know, they have a rule at these stores to do something when customers complain* and the guy was so stupid he didn't stop to think about what he was doing.

*I know Wal-Mart has one...

Can you even steal anything in an apple store?

Last time i entered one everything was locked in place pretty securely 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

That doesn't make the person racist. For all you know, they have a rule at these stores to do something when customers complain* and the guy was so stupid he didn't stop to think about what he was doing.

*I know Wal-Mart has one...

There was no customer complaint. The Apple store employee was afraid that they might steal something.

There was no customer complaint. The Apple store employee was afraid that they might steal something.

Can you tell me where it clarifies who "these guys" are in the story? The only employee in the article is the man asking them to leave because of how others feel, but I ask again: how do you know he wasn't just following rules established by the store? You can't call him a racist when he wasn't even the person complaining or causing the issue. It is a stretch made on assumptions.

Is there another article I am missing or something that makes these details clear?

Can you tell me where it clarifies who "these guys" are in the story? The only employee in the article is the man asking them to leave because of how others feel, but I ask again: how do you know he wasn't just following rules established by the store? You can't call him a racist when he wasn't even the person complaining or causing the issue. It is a stretch made on assumptions.

Is there another article I am missing or something that makes these details clear?

Read the full story in the source link.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/were-worried-you-might-steal-something-apple-ejects-six-black-students-then-apologises-following-claims-of-racism-20151111-gkwkd0.html

Okay, they were employees complaining but all that video confirms what I am saying and asking about the employee talking. Others being racist doesn't mean he has to be...

*you should include the video in the main article*

Okay, they were employees complaining but all that video confirms what I am saying and asking about the employee talking. Others being racist doesn't mean he has to be...

*you should include the video in the main article*

I'm on my work PC ATM ,so videos and stuff are firewalled.

I'm on my work PC ATM ,so videos and stuff are firewalled.

Ah, okay. I didn't see the video when I first loaded the article on my Moto G, so if it were on the opening post I would have seen the black box, is all. :P

Can you even steal anything in an apple store?

Last time i entered one everything was locked in place pretty securely 

I am pretty sure you can steal there mice and keyboards from the display systems. Why you'd want to is another question, though.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

My phone got robbed by black people

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

My phone got robbed by black people

and my country was illegally occupied by white people. So what?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.