Athlon x4 860K with 2400MHz RAM>

So, I am going to be getting a Mobo + RAM for my recently aquired Athlon II x4 860K. I need a mITX mobo for my Silverstone rvz01 mITX case.

Anyway, the mobo is the MSI mITX A88XI AC V2 : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WB9N1ZO/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

The CPU is obviously the Athlon II x4 860K.

And the RAM is either

--> 8 GB Patriot Viper DDR3 2400MHz (10-12-12-30)   or

--> 8 GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1866MHz (9-10-9-27)

Now, the kicker here is that I can get the RAM for about the exact same price, (give or take $2 occasionally)  I know that the timings and clock speeds have everything to do with it, especially with APUs, but this is no APU. I am getting a dGPU to go with this thing (260x), so it really won't boost performance too much...

But since I am here, I want to know is if there are any benfits for one over the other, and also if there are any incompatibilites. Can I even use the 2400MHz RAM with my Athlon II x4 860K?

Thnx in advance, robinspi.

if you can get it for the same price grt the higher speeds

Shipping sucks

Faster ram certainly DOES help more when the CPU is actually pegged at high usage for extended periods.

With multiple programs running, proper multitasking or HEAVY CPU usage scenario's.

If its only a margin of a few dollars or less, go for it.

There are small minute differences between performance in every day use, but when it counts at full CPU usage, is where the benefit lies.

Faster ram isn't only just for boosting igpu bandwidth.

Even if your motherboard allows 1866/2133 out of your 2400mhz that doesn't mean the benefit still isn't there as I suggested above, or that you couldn't use the memory in another build at any given time or swap it out when your financially equipped to do so.

As I said though... If its only a margin of a few dollars or less, go for it.

RAM is either

--> 8 GB Patriot Viper DDR3 2400MHz (10-12-12-30)   or

--> 8 GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1866MHz (9-10-9-27)

Now, the kicker here is that I can get the RAM for about the exact same price, (give or take $2 occasionally)  I know that the timings and clock speeds have everything to do with it, especially with APUs, but this is no APU. I am getting a dGPU to go with this thing (260x), so it really won't boost performance too much...

But since I am here, I want to know is if there are any benfits for one over the other, and also if there are any incompatibilites. Can I even use the 2400MHz RAM with my Athlon II x4 860K?

Thnx in advance, robinspi.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You could use 2400MHz, but if you see Linus' video on RAM speeds, 1866MHz is the peak and faster RAM goes downhill.

But are they at similar latencies? I have 2400MHz @ CL10 and 1866MHz @ CL9.

But are they at similar latencies? I have 2400MHz @ CL10 and 1866MHz @ CL9.

Overall not a big deal.....Does 0.5 - 1.5 fps matter that much in regards to how memory affects you, not when eventually later on,...overclocking the CPU/GPU or lowering in-game settings (which is normal to do on such a system) will be the issues to worry about when it comes to performance.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Oops. Well, I forgot to post a rather important link in the OP.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/466206-which-cpu-for-a-server/?p=6255698

This is more for a personal, web-hosting, NodeJS sandbox, online mathmatical calculator, whatnot-hobby server. Not exactly for gaming (I mean, it could be), but more for more intensive math-workload and server hosting (hence the quad-core athlon over the dual-core pentium g3258).