Asus Z170 Premium revealed

snowComet

After 3 years, Asus finally revealed a new Premium Grade board, the Z170-Premium, the new top board of the Signature series board.

mb.png
Z170-Premium

As reported previously, this board is based on the Z170-Deluxe, so it shared many features with the Z170-Delxue, like the 3x3 802.11ac Wi-Fi module, onboard displayport, 5-Way Optimization, and others. But because it has an onboard Thunderbolt 3 port, it has less USB 3.1 Type-A ports, and one more SATA Express port than the Z170-Deluxe. Also, it has a built-in U.2 connector, just like Maximus VIII Extreme, which has a data-transfer speeds of up to 32Gbit/s. Lastly, it will be bundled with NFC EXPRESS 2 & Wireless Charger, which according to Asus, you could "control your PC or pop down your mobile gadget and charge, as if by magic."

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png
NFC EXPRESS 2 & Wireless Charger

Pricing and availability is still unknown at this moment.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-PREMIUM/

Great addition to black and white builds but I doubt it will be able to compete with the krait due to the way Asus prices motherboards.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Will definitely be looking into this board when it comes time for me to need one. Right now I will be debating between the Krait and this board for my Black and White Skylake build. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

so a motherboard even more expensive than the Deluxe why?..

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

That's one beefy looking board. Not the biggest ASUS fan, but it looks slick.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I feel like this is ASUS saying "Well, the Z97 Deluxe was really good and came with all of that Qi crap and whatnot, but people kinda forgot about that mobo a little so now we're gonna release the Z170 Deluxe and take away some of that cool stuff but make a new mobo and make it like $500 (just a guess) and no one will bat an eye."

EDIT: Did anyone notice that lonely 90 degree USB port at the top of the I/O?

REEDIT: It was a display port but still it's so cute in it's little corner

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

I feel like this is ASUS saying "Well, the Z97 Deluxe was really good and came with all of that Qi crap and whatnot, but people kinda forgot about that mobo a little so now we're gonna release the Z170 Deluxe and take away some of that cool stuff but make a new mobo and make it like $500 (just a guess) and no one will bat an eye."

EDIT: Did anyone notice that lonely 90 degree USB port at the top of the I/O?

It's for flashing the BIOS, so you know which specific port it is without having to read the manual.

EDIT: Actually that may be the display port that they were talking about.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

FANCY.

It's for flashing the BIOS, so you know which specific port it is without having to read the manual.

EDIT: Actually that may be the display port that they were talking about.

Yea it's a display port I edited my post

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

If only it had a PS/2 port ;-;

PS/2 is either WS or low end these days.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

PS/2 is either WS or low end these days.

Not for Asus.  PS/2 is all but gone from their mainstream and Workstation boards.  Only the gaming ones have it.  Same for EVGA, but everyone else still carries it on.  Useful for keyboards.  Love it for keyboards.

Really... You want another exceedly overpriced board that can't even match most white/color builds because of the stupid ass blue stripes you added.

I mean really. You want an area to put RGB lighting on? RIGHT FUCKING THERE. Everything that is blue in that build should be rgb instead and then at least it would match with everything.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

It looks really nice, though I'm tired of white and black/blue.  They need to start working on some other colors, like orange and purple and green. Or pink.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Or pink.

impending breast cancer foundation computer parts.

there are a couple of boards for orange and green (SOC Force, G1 Sniper, and some asrock boards)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

impending breast cancer foundation computer parts.

there are a couple of boards for orange and green (SOC Force, G1 Sniper, and some asrock boards)

Yea, but asrock sucks and the rest are designed like turds. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

It looks really nice, though I'm tired of white and black/blue.  They need to start working on some other colors, like orange and purple and green. Or pink.

I mean ASUS tries to hard to find a reason to add rgb lighting and yet they SOMEHOW fail to realize that those color accents are the EXACT places to do it.

But yea, Asrock's boards look so smexy this round.

IMHO MSI's gaming m line also super dropped the ball this generation. At least the Xpower and Krait/sli plus have some sleekness.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

hmm.. apparently this probably the one ttl was saying about, wonder if there will be a rampage version of z170 soon

Details separate people.

I mean ASUS tries to hard to find a reason to add rgb lighting and yet they SOMEHOW fail to realize that those color accents are the EXACT places to do it.

But yea, Asrock's boards look so smexy this round.

IMHO MSI's gaming m line also super dropped the ball this generation. At least the Xpower and Krait/sli plus have some sleekness.

Whatever they fail at, at least they know how to make a generally pleasing board. RGB lighting problems or not. B)

Asrock smexy? I think I ever saw one nice looking board from them. I smell lies. :angry:

Whatever they fail at, at least they know how to make a generally pleasing board. RGB lighting problems or not. B)

Asrock smexy? I think I ever saw one nice looking board from them. I smell lies. :angry:

I'd say the OC formula and extreme 7+ are two of my top 5 for the z170 platform... Mind you I still much prefer the look of 6 or 8 dimm motherboards (yes I know that's then only x series for "prosumers")

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-z170-motherboards,29763.html

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I'd say the OC formula and extreme 7+ are two of my top 5 for the z170 platform... Mind you I still much prefer the look of 6 or 8 dimm motherboards (yes I know that's then only x series for "prosumers")

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-z170-motherboards,29763.html

Well...okay then. They do look really nice. :lol:

Got some nice specs too. up to 4000MHz oc, HDMI 2.0, but that TB3 is a bit confusing. The overall view shows that usb type C is also TB3, but on the specs page it just says USB 3.1 type C and does not mention anything about TB3. There is a TB header on the board which uses the add on card.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Well...okay then. They do look really nice. :lol:

From what I understand Asrock quality has been improving rapidly with each succeeding generation, and they're really making some -gorgeous- designs.  The evolution between Haswell and Skylake is incredible, meanwhile Gigabyte seems to have downgraded with their white and red scheme.