Converting a .ISO file to .AVI

raxx

Like the title says, I want to convert a movie that is a .iso file to a .avi file. I can burn it onto a dvd but I want to make the copy on my harddrive. What (free) software can I use to do this? Thanks.

all smart user will come online around 8 to  12 hours later or else your Qs would have been answered by now and this is a really good forum in my experience this is the best one i ever known

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

did try opening up the file  with http://www.daemon-tools.cc/downloads something like this plus you could try http://www.any-video-converter.com/

but i am not sure it will work :/

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

you could mount the .iso to a drive, play it, and then screen cap it with fraps. That is probably your best bet

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

you could mount the .iso to a drive, play it, and then screen cap it with fraps. That is probably your best bet

LOL

You have to be kidding right?

There are a Gazillion free apps that will convert a DVD to any format you like in a few minutes.

LOL

You have to be kidding right?

There are a Gazillion free apps that will convert a DVD to any format you like in a few minutes.

I have never done that, so i can't recommend it.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Besides, I thought this has an asshole-free forum.

Ouch!

Okay, don't blame you for the malware scare, no one wants to get into that garbage.

Have you checked over at VideoHelp.com?  I used to hang there a long time ago, there forums and info go way back to almost the beginning of CD imaging.  I'm certain, in their Software and Tools area, there's a program that will work for your needs.

I would do what this guy does in this video:

Assuming you don't want to waste your DVDs pointlessly just mount the ISO using Daemon Tools then select that mounted ISO as the source in the program the rest is explained in the video. I have no idea if this will work for you but you might as well give it a go.

I have never done that, so i can't recommend it.

You should do some research about the Applications that are available for free to do things like that and more.

The ability to convert DVD to any other format on a computer has existed since day 1.

Alright so I found a program(aimer-video-ultimate), but since it is a "free" version, which really means "trial" it is going to put a watermark on the video which is no good.

You should do some research about the Applications that are available for free to do things like that and more.

The ability to convert DVD to any other format on a computer has existed since day 1.

Dude, this isn't a DVD file, it is an ISO ripped to my harddrive. I have it burned on a DVD, but I want to convert it to avi or something so I can edit it with a video splitter. I am a noob in the video editing world so I thought this was a cool place to ask.

Alright so I found a program(aimer-video-ultimate), but since it is a "free" version, which really means "trial" it is going to put a watermark on the video which is no good.

http://www.makemkv.com/

Mkv is better.... Avi is obsolete.

Dude, this isn't a DVD file, it is an ISO ripped to my harddrive. I have it burned on a DVD, but I want to convert it to avi or something so I can edit it with a video splitter. I am a noob in the video editing world so I thought this was a cool place to ask.

When you mount the ISO, what do you see on it?

If there is folders with VOB files, then yes, it is a DVD... a ISO image of a DVD.

http://www.makemkv.com/

Mkv is better.... Avi is obsolete.

Thanks. I tried that program but it is throwing a bunch of "file is corrupt at.." error messages. I can play the video just fine from the drive so I don't know what it is.

You could try handbrake, usually that program will find video streams in .iso and such files. Newer versions don't support .avi as an output, but if you insist on using .avi, you could try finding an old version since they did offer .avi output.

You could try handbrake, usually that program will find video streams in .iso and such files. Newer versions don't support .avi as an output, but if you insist on using .avi, you could try finding an old version since they did offer .avi output.

Ok, does it support mpeg or anything like that? That is all I care about. I don't know what are new formats and what are old.

Ok, does it support mpeg or anything like that? That is all I care about. I don't know what are new formats and what are old.

Yeah, you can either encode using h.264 (best video codec in handbrake imo), which is going to give the best results at the best file sizes, but it also supports VP3, mpeg-4, and mpeg-2 video for outputs. I've yet to find a video codec Handbrake can't convert from.

Yeah, you can either encode using h.264 (best video codec in handbrake imo), which is going to give the best results at the best file sizes, but it also supports VP3, mpeg-4, and mpeg-2 video for outputs. I've yet to find a video codec Handbrake can't convert from.

Handbreak worked! It couldn't convert the dvd, but it converted the iso, and it also lets me cut the movie into smaller sections just like I wanted.