970 or 980 or other?

mbryant

I currently have a Superclocked 780, I love it and it runs everything I need it to. However I am kind of toying with the idea of upgrading. My current machine is pulling double duty as a work/gaming machine. I edit video quite often. My gaming needs aren't too intense, for instance, I'll be happy running GTA V at High settings between 40-80 fps. Ideally averaging 60 (as I'm sure most people would find that ideal) Some guidance would be nice. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

^ this

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

390 for the price of a 970

390x for the price of something cheaper than a 980

r9 fury for the price of a 980

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

970 would be good, 980 would be ideal, and something like a 390X is also very good coz 8 gigs, r9 390 would be another option, go with the 390x, it pulls alot o power but its worth it 8 gigs of vram is alot and if u r editing go ahead and do 390x

970 would be good, 980 would be ideal, and something like a 390X is also very good coz 8 gigs, r9 390 would be another option, go with the 390x, it pulls alot o power but its worth it 8 gigs of vram is alot and if u r editing go ahead and do 390x

but the 390 and 390x have nearly the same performance. in the op's scenario i would choose the 390

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

If you want to upgrade you pc why bother with your current graphics card? It still a beast card. If you've got some spending money why not grab another storage drive or maybe even a second gpu.

but the 390 and 390x have nearly the same performance. in the op's scenario i would choose the 390

then the 970 and the 980 have nearly identical peformance

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

if your pc already plays everything you want it to at avg 60 fps then why bother getting a new one , i would wait to see what the next gen brings us, if anything it will atleast lower the cost of this gen

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

I currently have a Superclocked 780, I love it and it runs everything I need it to. However I am kind of toying with the idea of upgrading. My current machine is pulling double duty as a work/gaming machine. I edit video quite often. My gaming needs aren't too intense, for instance, I'll be happy running GTA V at High settings between 40-80 fps. Ideally averaging 60 (as I'm sure most people would find that ideal) Some guidance would be nice. 

R9 390 or 390x

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

If you want to upgrade you pc why bother with your current graphics card? It still a beast card. If you've got some spending money why not grab another storage drive or maybe even a second gpu.

I actually just built a new machine a few days ago which the 780 came from. The old machine was an FX 8320, ASUS M5A97 MOBO, GTX 780, 1TB WD BLACK drive and a 120GB SSD with 8GB RAM. New system is the 780, i7 4790k, MSI SLI Krait, same storage drives and 16GB of RAM. I guess what I'm getting at is that now everything in the system is new save for the 780 and the storage drives were new as of July 2015 so I don't need more storage. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Low Power Usage = 970/980

Performance = 390/390X

[insert get 390 instead 970 here] 

But I use the Adobe suite which plays nicely with CUDA, I didn't think that AMD GPU's had CUDA cores. 

I really would not upgrade from a 780 - it doesn't make any sense imo. If you really want to however I'd go at least for an r9 fury, otherwise the performance boost won't be very marked.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

But I use the Adobe suite which plays nicely with CUDA, I didn't think that AMD GPU's had CUDA cores.

the adobe suite plays well with opencl on and GPUs now I think that started with the cc2014

Your current 780 is very good. You can upgrade if you really want to. A 980 is a great card so would a 980 ti. Unless you need or want certain Nvidia features a 390x is a great option. 100 bucks cheaper then a 980 and will out perform a 970.

people recommending an R9 390 as an upgrade for the GTX 780 are clueless..this card is pretty much as fast...not as fast but almost...it's certainly not a worthy upgade..i would consider nothing less than a GTX 980/980ti or R9 FURY

OP, realise the 390 is just a rebrand of a R9 290, a card which your GTX780 with a slight overclock has absolutely no problem matching in games and even outperform it in many titles...the GTX 970 is only around 10% faster than what you have...and the GTX 980 is where you start seeing a somewhat worthy upgrade with a 30% performance increase...but even then it's most likely not worth your money...a 980ti is the next real step-up (+65%) from a GTX 780 but this is a 700$ graphics card...so unless you game at 1440p 144hz or something (like me) it's not worth your money either.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

people recommending an R9 390 as an upgrade for the GTX 780 are clueless..this card is pretty much as fast...not as fast but almost...it's certainly not a worthy upgade..i would consider nothing less than a GTX 980/980ti or R9 FURY

OP, realise the 390 is just a rebrand of a R9 290, a card which your GTX780 with a slight overclock has absolutely no problem matching in games and even outperform it in many titles...the GTX 970 is only around 10% faster than what you have...and the GTX 980 is where you start seeing a somewhat worthy upgrade with a 30% performance increase...but even then it's most likely not worth your money...a 980ti is the next real step-up (+65%) from a GTX 780 but this is a 700$ graphics card...so unless you game at 1440p 144hz or something (like me) it's not worth your money either.

Well I guess I should also mention that I'm wanting to upgrade my "old machine" to make it gaming only and my new machine be work only, so I've also considered getting a workstation GPU which I shouldve mentioned in the post, however I'm still undecided. I only even posted this topic because I don't know much about the 780 as I got it for a steal from a friend back in July. Other than the fact that it's got 3GB of VRAM and it's superclocked, I know nothing. Question, I got a minimum FPS on Uniengine Valley benchmark of 19fps. The average was well above 60, I was wondering if that's normal? 

Well I guess I should also mention that I'm wanting to upgrade my "old machine" to make it gaming only and my new machine be work only, so I've also considered getting a workstation GPU which I shouldve mentioned in the post, however I'm still undecided. I only even posted this topic because I don't know much about the 780 as I got it for a steal from a friend back in July. Other than the fact that it's got 3GB of VRAM and it's superclocked, I know nothing. Question, I got a minimum FPS on Uniengine Valley benchmark of 19fps. The average was well above 60, I was wondering if that's normal? 

yes that's normal for valley when you are changing scenes sometimes it's not fully loaded and this is where the minimum will be recorded...it's normal...just ignore it!

About your work machine, what softwares are you using? do you happen to know if they have support for CUDA acceleration or only Open CL?

this will dictate whether you should go with an AMD or an NVIDIA GPU for work...NVIDIA support both CUDA and Open CL, AMD support only open CL...but AMD is faster than nvidia at Open CL, but CUDA is generaly faster than open CL if/when it's supported...so yeah!

i wouldn't recommend a computing card (quadro or firepro) unless you are doing this professionally and have no budget limits...what kind of money would you be willing to spend on a new graphics card?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

yes that's normal for valley when you are changing scenes sometimes it's not fully loaded and this is where the minimum will be recorded...it's normal...just ignore it!

About your work machine, what softwares are you using? do you happen to know if they have support for CUDA acceleration or only Open CL?

this will dictate whether you should go with an AMD or an NVIDIA GPU for work...NVIDIA support both CUDA and Open CL, AMD support only open CL...but AMD is faster than nvidia at Open CL, but CUDA is generaly faster than open CL if/when it's supported...so yeah!

i wouldn't recommend a computing card (quadro or firepro) unless you are doing this professionally and have no budget limits...what kind of money would you be willing to spend on a new graphics card?

I use the Adobe Suite, it seems to prefer CUDA, and a lot of reputable people use NVIDIA GPUs. I was considering a 4GB quadro but I'll probably end up going all out on whatever GPU I decide to get once my needs call for it. I'm currently debating new monitors as well. UGH. But I will say CUDA has been recommended by everyone I ask, and AMD's future doesn't look too bright ATM

I use the Adobe Suite, it seems to prefer CUDA, and a lot of reputable people use NVIDIA GPUs. I was considering a 4GB quadro but I'll probably end up going all out on whatever GPU I decide to get once my needs call for it. I'm currently debating new monitors as well. UGH. But I will say CUDA has been recommended by everyone I ask, and AMD's future doesn't look too bright ATM

can't agree more...