AMD isn't the only one who pulled stuff.

Does anyone remember Intel's commercial where they claimed the Pentium 4 would make your internet experience faster ? Any Old Timers on here ? I remember it being on TV but oddly enough *cough*, that commercial doesn't seem to be in any archives of Intel commercials i've seen on youtube, even the ones claiming to have ALL the commercials in one video. Pretty sure that some company made sure to delete that on in particular.

We all know what Intel has done. I like AMD but doing whataboutism doesn't make anything AMD does better.

Now I personally don't think the 8 core thing is a big deal at all, but others may feel differently and that's their prerogative 

yeah, and the fac that intel rigged all the results in the megahertz war by having their benchmarking software fasttrack intel resources.....yeah, old news, and we all know it, doesn't change the fact that AMD is struggling to keep up, and we hope a process change will help them stay competitive.

Well... I had written a really nice reply about some intel chip I couldn't remember the name of burning motherboards with it's ridiculous (for the time) power draw... vs the AMD 9590, and the old 486 or pentium or whatever it was missing its math co-processor, vs the AMD "tri-cores" that were actually just failed quads, and how nvidia "pulled" something with the 970 and its 3.5 GB of VRAM, but that thread disappeared mysteriously and it was lost so forget it

Every company pulls things, why call out Intel specifically?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well... I had written a really nice reply about some intel chip I couldn't remember the name of burning motherboards with it's ridiculous (for the time) power draw... vs the AMD 9590, and the old 486 or pentium or whatever it was missing its math co-processor, vs the AMD "tri-cores" that were actually just failed quads, and how nvidia "pulled" something with the 970 and its 3.5 GB of VRAM, but that thread disappeared mysteriously and it was lost so forget it

It wasn't a 486 or Pentium missing its co processor (the 486 was a 386 with its maths coprocessor integrated), it was the first Celerons without any L2 cache. I tried running a Celeron 300A and 333A (the replacements) without their L2 cache and long story short, Windows XP was extremely slow and blue screened constantly, and I was only able to get Windows 95 fully stable (well, stable for Windows 95) with the L2 cache disabled.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Everyone has done shit like that. With the most recent being Nvidia. Its simply just AMD's turn.

This

There is nothing to see here.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

It wasn't a 486 or Pentium missing its co processor (the 486 was a 386 with its maths coprocessor integrated), it was the first Celerons without any L2 cache. I tried running a Celeron 300A and 333A (the replacements) without their L2 cache and long story short, Windows XP was extremely slow and blue screened constantly, and I was only able to get Windows 95 fully stable (well, stable for Windows 95) with the L2 cache disabled.

windows 95 stable? now that's an achievement. I had a thinkpad 486 dx4/ something or other, that I had to constantly rebuild because windows95 wanted to pull an unrecoverable error on every week.

windows 95 stable? now that's an achievement. I had a thinkpad 486 dx4/ something or other, that I had to constantly rebuild because windows95 wanted to pull an unrecoverable error on every week.

That's why I said stable for Windows 95. Windows ME/98 third edition on the other had I can get running better than XP service pack 3 (just defrag whenever you can-once a week is the minimum).

PMSL

That's why I said stable for Windows 95. Windows ME/98 third edition on the other had I can get running better than XP service pack 3 (just defrag whenever you can-once a week is the minimum).

lol, yep, and xp is still stableish, despite being no longer supported... just don't try running anything recent.

Sorry what's this in reference to?

A thread about AMD getting sued for deceptive marketing. People are pretty polarized on both sides it seems, but to me that kind of crap intel pulled back then was just as bad. They just got away with it.

Intell actually claimed that the P4 made your internet go faster. Regardless of anything else, most people were on 28- 56 k dial up and so...it couldn't possibly do SH## for the intended masses.

I was wondering if anyone remembered that SPECIFIC lie sir. 

I think that's just part of the "bad old days" of hardware, because my copy of Windows 95a OEM was far more stable than my Windows 98 SE install, not even counting the network stack "rebuilding driver information database" every other day.

lol, yep, and xp is still stableish, despite being no longer supported... just don't try running anything recent.

Vista actually ran quite well once I'd optimized it for performance-but its, well Vista-it really needs a computer that's good enough for Windows 7.

I think that's just part of the "bad old days" of hardware, because my copy of Windows 95a OEM was far more stable than my Windows 98 SE install, not even counting the network stack "rebuilding driver information database" every other day.

I've always managed to get any MS OS running quite well-though out of the Windows 9* series ME is still the one that I've had the best experience with.

PMSL

Vista actually ran quite well once I'd optimized it for performance-but its, well Vista-it really needs a computer that's good enough for Windows 7.

I've always managed to get any MS OS running quite well-though out of the Windows 9* series ME is still the one that I've had the best experience with.

to little, to late....And it didn't support what win7 did, so what was the point.

Every second release of windows seems to actually work... win 7 did, win 8 didn't......I figure that's why they've come up with win 10,,, they didn't want to disturb the trend.

You know the 'person' who brings up cases like this, years after the product and documentation have been available, is totally seeking justice for consumers?

/s

But i totally want justice...and a small cash settlement.

to little, to late....And it didn't support what win7 did, so what was the point.

Every second release of windows seems to actually work... win 7 did, win 8 didn't......I figure that's why they've come up with win 10,,, they didn't want to disturb the trend.

Current problem in Windows 10, the audio stutters all over the place and at times screeches-unlike other versions of Windows on this computer. Windows 8.1 and 10 are only Windows 8 service packs, and while Vista was greatly improved in its first service pack, and was quite good, it still isn't quite up to par on Windows 7, just like Windows 8 with the UI that MS is trying to push as being "modern".

PMSL

Current problem in Windows 10, the audio stutters all over the place and at times screeches-unlike other versions of Windows on this computer. Windows 8.1 and 10 are only Windows 8 service packs, and while Vista was greatly improved in its first service pack, and was quite good, it still isn't quite up to par on Windows 7, just like Windows 8 with the UI that MS is trying to push as being "modern".

I rest my case.

I rest my case.

Uh...what?

PMSL

lol,

Uh...what?

you quoted an OS I said was the best current, and outlined the flaws of OS's that were supposed to be upgrades. You expected me to argue with you?

lol,

you quoted an OS I said was the best current, and outlined the flaws of OS's that were supposed to be upgrades. You expected me to argue with you?

Oh-I just didn't know what you meant.

PMSL

I loved ME myself, but it crashed a lot for me. Loved the new GUI look, hated the reworked DOS mode.

But i totally want justice...and a small cash settlement.

ROFL 

It works okay on my older hardware (maximus V formula) so maybe it's just newer stuff with new drivers ?

Many tech companies pull all sorts of questionable things, but our short attention spans leads us to forget and then jump on the band wagon of bashing when another tech company gets caught red handed.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | RAM: G.Skill 32Gb at 3200Mhz | GPU:  GTX 1080ti

I loved ME myself, but it crashed a lot for me. Loved the new GUI look, hated the reworked DOS mode.

ROFL 

It works okay on my older hardware (maximus V formula) so maybe it's just newer stuff with new drivers ?

P5Q Turbo right up to my Z97 Sabertooth-same issues.

PMSL