GTX 780/780 Ti back on sale, which one to get?

Go to solution Solved by SteveGrabowski0,

Thanks, but aren't these benches old or something or are they tested on new drivers? 

How's GTX 780 by the way? What games have you tested it on? (what settings, how much fps, etc.) :)

Here are some recent benchmarks:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

This is the new Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone released last month:

I need to reserve this one really quick guys.

So as is stated in the title.

The GTX 780 Ti costs about $350 here, and the GTX 780 is cheaper by about $90, it costs $260.

Which one would be better to get? My budget literally is about $250. $350 is really pushing it, but is it worth it?

My original contender for $250 is the R9 380.

THE SALES :blink: , THE STRESS  :wacko:

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

780 Ti = 980-ish (a tad worse)

780 = 970-ish (better by a reasonable margin)

Personally, I'd opt for the 780 Ti for better performance, but the better deal is the 780.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Im using gtx 780 and its good enough to run everything on high details as long as vram is sufficient so i say unless you are gaming in 120mhz get the normal one.

780 Ti = 980-ish (a tad worse)

780 = 970-ish (better by a reasonable margin)

Personally, I'd opt for the 780 Ti for better performance, but the better deal is the 780.

Im using gtx 780 and its good enough to run everything on high details as long as vram is sufficient so i say unless you are gaming in 120mhz get the normal one.

Yeah, figured. But with new drivers coming out does the 780 perform better now?

Being an Nvidia user for about 2 years (back in me old GTX 660) I've experienced that the newer drivers kinda supported the newer cards better than it supported mine. I started getting lower performance for my old card when the 700 series came out. Is it the same thing now?

How does the GTX 780/Ti fare now?

@xgn, could you show me some benches on your system?

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Being an Nvidia user for about 2 years (back in me old GTX 660) I've experienced that the newer drivers kinda supported the newer cards better than it supported mine. I started getting lower performance for my old card when the 700 series came out. Is it the same thing now?

The 780 in DX11 and DX12 performs better for the money.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

780ti

the 780 doesn't have great performance, its worse than a 970, and even worse than a 390 which costs the same as a 970

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I can't say I've experience degrading performance on my gtx 560ti, unless we're comparing your experience on older games vs newer games.

Either way, the gtx 780 should still be very capable for modern gaming, only slightly behind the 970 (it also depends on what the game prefers).

The 780 Ti is about 970 performance so... That's better...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Checking out some old benches. The GTX 780 is just under the GTX 970. The price of the GTX 780Ti here would be the same as a GTX 970 but it would generally perform better.

I need like ultra solid "pow" reasoning to go over budget and get the GTX 780 Ti. In terms of pricing, the GTX 780 would outperform the R9 380...

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

the 780ti is 18% faster

The 780 Ti is about 970 performance so... That's better...

the 780ti is 5% faster than the 970.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The 780 is about 970 performance so... That's better...

FTFY

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Thanks, but aren't these benches old or something or are they tested on new drivers? 

How's GTX 780 by the way? What games have you tested it on? (what settings, how much fps, etc.) :)

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Nvidia did gimp the 780 Ti for a while to where it was performing a little below the 970, but after a lot of complaints from Kepler owners the 780 Ti has taken its rightful place back a little above the 970.

drivers are back to where they should be my card perform better than ever i run some test after gameready drivers launch and performance is only going up...it's a strong card i played most games that came out in 2014 and 2015 at 1080p on it and it can run most of them completely maxed out at 60FPS+ and now i'm on a 1440p monitor and it still play fine on high settings with less anti-aliasing (not required at such high res.) but still i would recommend if you can afford a Ti do that...i',m looking for an upgrade to a ti myself if i can find one for a good price ill buy it and sell my 780...but if you plan to stick to 1080p the 780 is a beast...

The 780 is slightly slower than a GTX970 and the 780ti is slightly faster than the GTX970...both are good choice like i said the 780ti is 18-20% faster than the 780 because the 780 only has 80% of the cuda cores enabled where as the 780ti is fully enabled...so it's worth the little extra i'm sure.

Here are some recent benchmarks:

This is the new Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone released last month:

It seems like the GTX 970 does beat the GTX 780 Ti in some cases.

But both are above the budget...The GTX 780 even though it's getting old is still a good contender in the $250 range. I don't think the $90 difference between it and the Ti is justifiable as I could get the GTX 970 which would definitely be prioritized in newer drivers...

Getting a GPU now really means pushing the new system upgrade to December :lol:

Anyway, I'll try reserving a GTX 780 by this week or the next. Thanks guys :)

Still on the lookout for R9 290/290X  :ph34r:

UPDATE: The store I'm checking out, it's not that I don't trust it, but I don't think I trust it :lol:

I might pass on a "meh" for now and get the system upgrade first. Dunno. Still thinking about it.

UPDATE 2: The R9 380X will get released this November. Might as well check it out first before buying to avoid any ragrets.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler