Using RAM as disk storage?

I know this is insane, but if I get 32 GB of RAM, then reserve 16 GB of that to only my OS, then do you think I'll get those MLG boot times?

This is just something I thought up. I don't think paying 100 dollars for MLG boot times is worth it. But I just posted for the opinion, or any other problems that this would stir up.

Right. RAM can not store data unless constantly powered, which means you'll have to have an additional storage (HDD/SSD) to load the data into the RAMdisk before you boot up. So, no, with modern SSDs breaking 1 GB/s read speeds there's little to no need of using RAM as storage.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

You can set up a RAM disk yes, but there isn't a lot of point to it since ever time the PC loses power or shuts down all info in RAM is whipped. Only really worth it if you have 64+ gigs of RAM on a desktop and only need 16 of it and dedicate the rest to your favorite games or applications, but even then, just buy an SSD and call it good.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

ramdisks do exit, but they need to be recreated at every boot, so you'd loose any data on it every time you reboot. This means you can't install an os on it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

ramdisks do exit, but they need to be recreated at every boot, so you'd loose any data on it every time you reboot. This means you can't install an os on it.

You should be able to install an OS on it, just that it will need to be loaded from a non-volatile storage drive first. If you lose power suddenly, then you'll lose data, but shutting down normally won't lose any data. 

You should be able to install an OS on it, just that it will need to be loaded from a non-volatile storage drive first. If you lose power suddenly, then you'll lose data, but shutting down normally won't lose any data. 

yeah, but you'd still need to lead a kernel first, and that kernel should be able to just die and boot the newly copied kernel once it's finished. It wouldn't make boot times better (in fact they might be worse) and it would need an ad hoc solution

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

yeah, but you'd still need to lead a kernel first, and that kernel should be able to just die and boot the newly copied kernel once it's finished. It wouldn't make boot times better (in fact they might be worse) and it would need an ad hoc solution

Boot times should almost certainly be worse, yeah. Rather than loading straight from a drive, it needs to load to the RAMDisk first, then load from that. 

By no means a good or practical thing to install an OS on, but it is possible.