Good enough motherboard for i7 6700K and Single GPU

Go to solution Solved by Aytex,

Asus-A, its got that IO sheild armor thingy

Hi guys,

So, the time is drawing near for a new system upgrade. Hopefully, I'm getting an i7 6700K but I know very little about motherboards. I just know the high-end ones are the ones with a 'Z'.

The socket of the motherboard I'm looking for is obviously LGA 1151 that supports DDR3.

The motherboard I'm currently eyeing is the MSI Z170A PC Mate as this is the cheapest Z170 motherboard around here in retail.

I'm only going for single GPU configurations.

So the question - is there any advantage in getting a Z170 compared to other chipsets? Could some of the B150s or H170s do just fine?

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Hi guys,

So the question - is there any advantage in getting a Z170 compared to other chipsets? Could some of the B150s or H170s do just fine?

With the B and H series you are limited in overclocking potential which is the point of getting the K series CPU

the board you mentioned is fine :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A, unless you really have 100 dollars burning a hole in your pants, I'd highly recommend you don't buy a 6700k and instead grab a 6600k.

If you are going to do a -k series chip, then you will want to grab a z series chipset (which allows overclocking). 

Outside of that, literally any z170 mobo will work fine.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Hi guys,

So, the time is drawing near for a new system upgrade. Hopefully, I'm getting an i7 6700K but I know very little about motherboards. I just know the high-end ones are the ones with a 'Z'.

The socket of the motherboard I'm looking for is obviously LGA 1151 that supports DDR3.

The motherboard I'm currently eyeing is the MSI Z170A PC Mate as this is the cheapest Z170 motherboard around here in retail.

I'm only going for single GPU configurations.

Grab an i5 6600k and get a Z-series motherboard. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z170a

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

asus Z170-a

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

With the B and H series you are limited in overclocking potential which is the point of getting the K series CPU

the board you mentioned is fine :)

A, unless you really have 100 dollars burning a hole in your pants, I'd highly recommend you don't buy a 6700k and instead grab a 6600k.

If you are going to do a -k series chip, then you will want to grab a z series chipset (which allows overclocking). 

Outside of that, literally any z170 mobo will work fine.

Grab an i5 6600k and get a Z-series motherboard. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z170a

Good point on that "Overclocking part". Actually, part of why I'm getting a K - series is because there seems to be a logical rumour that the non-k ones "aren't unlocked for a reason".

Anyways good point. Also, why is everyone pushing for an i5-6600k? I really want to make the bulk of this system last probably a good 5 years. I know i5-2400Ks are holding up pretty good until now but does it feel the age? or should I be thinking about DX12 and that games would run better on the same hardware?

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Good point on that "Overclocking part". Actually, part of why I'm getting a K - series is because there seems to be a logical rumour that the non-k ones "aren't unlocked for a reason".

Anyways good point. Also, why is everyone pushing for an i5-6600k? I really want to make the bulk of this system last probably a good 5 years. I know i5-2400Ks are holding up pretty good until now but does it feel the age? or should I be thinking about DX12 and that games would run better on the same hardware?

i5 6600k will last you that long, or even longer.

But if you have cash to blow on an i7 6700k that you won't probably take advantage of (hyper-threading, rendering etc) then it's your choice.

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Asus-A, its got that IO sheild armor thingy

asus Z170-a

I don't see a local listing for this motherboard, but checking out the Asus website, it seems to be a lot more expensive than the MSI one, should I push for this and an i5-6600K instead?

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

i5 6600k will last you that long, or even longer.

But if you have cash to blow on an i7 6700k that you won't probably take advantage of (hyper-threading, rendering etc) then it's your choice.

Actually I might do some light rendering...but then again, if I wanted to be serious about it I'd be going with LGA 2011 stuff or even touch some Xeons. That's too much. Thanks.

Hm, I'll get back here in a bit. I'll be checking out some benches.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Actually I might do some light rendering...but then again, if I wanted to be serious about it I'd be going with LGA 2011 stuff or even touch some Xeons. That's too much. Thanks.

Hm, I'll get back here in a bit. I'll be checking out some benches.

But seriously, light rendering will be more than capable for an i5.

Old Rig

But seriously, light rendering will be more than capable for an i5.

Wow you're very good, I'm convinced the i5-6600K would do a lot and with good price-performance, even the power draw is one of the lowest I've seen. Thanks! :D

By the way, I got a look at some benches...where it really matters - Gaming :lol: and there's not much difference between this and an i7, so I'm really convinced :)

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Guys, thanks a lot!

New goal - Processor: i5-6600K

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A (If I can find one)

Thanks for all who helped. I can't really decide who I should give the "Solved" to since most of you gave out the same answer. Thanks a lot :D

But I'll give it to Aytex as he was the one who mentioned the motherboard first :)

Also, special mention to SeanAngelo for convincing me that the i5 is good enough for what I need. Additional cash I'll save up further increases my budget's flexibility. Thanks!

UPDATE: I found a local listing for Z170-A from Asus that costs about $200 here. Oh well, at least I save something from the i7-i5 :P

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Wow you're very good, I'm convinced the i5-6600K would do a lot and with good price-performance, even the power draw is one of the lowest I've seen. Thanks! :D

By the way, I got a look at some benches...where it really matters - Gaming :lol: and there's not much difference between this and an i7, so I'm really convinced :)

Yeah, benchmarks for gaming between the i5 and i7 aren't that big of a difference. The only time where the i7 outperforms the i5 is heavy rendering and editing, because it has the hyper-threading to take advantage of :) But apart from that, they perform the same.

Enjoy your build! :D

Old Rig

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you guys.

I did get a system upgrade just yesterday however the I didn't get the Asus board because it was too overpriced, they were selling it for $250 here.

I went with an MSI Z170 Krait gaming. Upgrade includes the core i5 600K and G.Skill Trident Z 8GB 3200MHz

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler