Diablo 2, Starcraft and Warcraft 3 HD Remakes Possibly Coming!

Samfisher

Blizzard has 0 history of doing this, so... FYI..

They even removed the auction house because it was unbalancing the game.

Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 started with battle.net at release...I don't know about starcraft, though.

Diablo (1) in 1996 & Starcraft in 1998 came with B.Net, Warcraft 2 had a separate B.Net Edition. Mind you WC2:BNE, Diablo, SC/BW, D2/LoD & WC3/FT are Battle.Net 1.0, WoW was the start of Battle.Net 2.0 (which is what D3/RoS, SC2:WoL/HotS/LotV, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm & Overwatch work on with the B.Net Launcher).

Once they have a team for remakes, they may very well do them!  Warcraft 1 and 2 are practically impossible to play on modern systems now.

Create a VM with Win XP or lower, install W1/2 on it, play, ???, WIN!

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

As long as the art style is intact and doesn't require online logging in, I'd be interested in a remade Diablo II. But that is a big IF.

Warcraft III was the worst Warcraft, so I'm not into that. Went 3D before 3D was ready. Same reason GTA III turned me off.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I remember when Diablo2 came out, the 640x480 max resolution made it hard to appreciate the graphical side of the game. Expansion helped a lot, but still 1080p Diablo 2 would be awesome. 

As long as the art style is intact and doesn't require online logging in, I'd be interested in a remade Diablo II. But that is a big IF.

Warcraft III was the worst Warcraft, so I'm not into that. Went 3D before 3D was ready. Same reason GTA III turned me off.

I liked War 2, but maybe not as much as War 3.  I'm not THAT into the RTS, but I do love the world and lore of the Warcraft universe so a remake would be decent.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Risky move if they did.. Specially for Diablo 2.

If they make a HD version with new graphics, not just upscaled...then I foresee people moving from D3 back to D2, so many people prefer D2 over D3 still, this would only give them more reason to go back.

Warcraft 3, not so much an issue, u can play that game now with no issues and crank the resolution. New higher poly graphical assets wouldn't be a bad thing though.

StarCraft, yea that could do with a full remake, its technical great but the visuals have aged.

Risky move if they did.. Specially for Diablo 2.

If they make a HD version with new graphics, not just upscaled...then I foresee people moving from D3 back to D2, so many people prefer D2 over D3 still, this would only give them more reason to go back.

Warcraft 3, not so much an issue, u can play that game now with no issues and crank the resolution. New higher poly graphical assets wouldn't be a bad thing though.

StarCraft, yea that could do with a full remake, its technical great but the visuals have aged.

Why would Blizzard care if they moved from D3 to D2-HD? They'd still be selling you a copy of a game. In fact, they would want you to buy both.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Diablo 2 HD remake?! YES, YES ,YES!!! So much want, so much need!!! *Drool*

This I have been waiting for I love warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 and would love see a modern rerelease

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

It would be nice if you get it for free if you already have the games, but they probably won't do that. I would love to replay diablo II at a resolution other than 480p

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

Even though Warcraft 3 is the base for the whole universe I think, Warcraft 2 is really epic and it'd be truly new experience far larger amount of people.

Another epic game I'd wish to get Witcher 3 like treatment is Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen because it is brutal story, basically Dante's Inferno as Vampire.

Even though Warcraft 3 is the base for the whole universe I think, Warcraft 2 is really epic and it'd be truly new experience far larger amount of people.

Another epic game I'd wish to get Witcher 3 like treatment is Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen because it is brutal story, basically Dante's Inferno as Vampire.

Why would Warcraft 3 be the base of the whole universe?  Every Warcraft game is a story that is part of canon lore :P

I don't know if this is a good move. I think remakes are good when they can improve upon the original game. For example like in Pokemon FireRed where the underlying mechanics got upgraded. I don't see what they could do with Diablo 2 other than make the graphics better. Making the graphics better would kind of ruin the feel of the game. Especially if they make it cartoon-ish like Diablo 3.

Yes, I hate how they went with WC3 art style for all new games -.- Ruined SC2 and D3 dark and realistic feel.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This is awesome! One of my favorite games :)
D2 and SC1 mainly, they're so awesome. Hope they do a good job with HD remakes, played so much of these games, specially D2

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It would be nice if you get it for free if you already have the games, but they probably won't do that. I would love to replay diablo II at a resolution other than 480p

Free? Nope, not going to happen. Nor should it happen either. If these games were, say, less than 5 years old? Sure, having an HD revamp (Akin to Metro:2033 and Last Light getting their makeovers), then sure, having it as a free update or only cost like $5 for previous owners, makes sense.

But these games are 10+ years old. StarCraft is 17 years old! If StarCraft were a person, they'd be graduating high school. Let that sink in for a moment.

A SC1 HD remake deserves to be bought and paid for by fans. If they make a shitty HD remake, feel free to not play it and not buy it. But if it's good, then damn right they should make us pay for it.

Make it affordable, sure - say $30 or $40 tops? Since some of the assets (All or most of the voice acting), all of the dialog/story/writing) can be re-used. But there's still a large amount of content that will likely need to be remade.

Yes, I hate how they went with WC3 art style for all new games -.- Ruined SC2 and D3 dark and realistic feel.

Uhhh, what? Have you played SC? Have you played SC2? The art style matches pretty well. SC2 doesn't feel like Warcraft/WC3/WoW in the slightest, unless you're specifically playing a single player campaign mission with a hero unit and limited minions.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Uhhh, what? Have you played SC? Have you played SC2? The art style matches pretty well. SC2 doesn't feel like Warcraft/WC3/WoW in the slightest, unless you're specifically playing a single player campaign mission with a hero unit and limited minions.

No I have not? Lol...

Art style doesn't match. SC2 have rounded goofy units and color palette aside, it reminds of WC3 more than SC1 but whatever.

No I have not? Lol...

Art style doesn't match. SC2 have rounded goofy units and color palette aside, it reminds of WC3 more than SC1 but whatever.

Some of the stuff in SC1 was definitely more goofy:

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gradius00/media/kerrigan.jpg.html

This one I believe is cutscenes only

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gradius00/media/artanis.jpg.html

Marine unit comparison

SC1:

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-14673-1193543439.jpg

SC2

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/3/32/Marine_SC2_Game2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090109125045

There's not less "realistic" about anything I'm seeing. Can you point out something specific? Yes, some of the art style is more rounded in places - in a more organic/realistic way. Terran technology is still very angular and realistic/gritty feeling, for example.

I really don't see it. SC2 did an excellent job of taking a pseudo 2D/3D sprite game and turning it into a full blown 3D engine, while keeping authentic to the original art style.

so blizzard is apparently going full ubisoft.... they are going to give those games better graphics and charge full price again like 40-50 euros... gg 

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Why would Warcraft 3 be the base of the whole universe?  Every Warcraft game is a story that is part of canon lore :P

Because that was the game what everyone knew about, and Blizzard did use that as core for WoW. I still remember that curiosity for WoW and our imagination just went wild that "how it must be."

Like, these days imagining how some Skyrim or Witcher would be with VR I'd say.

so blizzard is apparently going full ubisoft.... they are going to give those games better graphics and charge full price again like 40-50 euros... gg 

Good luck trying to run those games in a few years if they weren't updated.  Still costs them money, time and effort to do what they do.

Unless regular balance patches come for Diablo 2 you can expect it to die again.

Bugs + Hacking/Cheating + Overpowered Rune Words + Enigma + no end-game content + Imbalanced Uber system + Dead content zones that look amazing to start. Round it off with a rant about the aspect ratio limits, FPS limiter, the game revolving around FPS in terms of calculation for a lot of things (think Skyrim/Triple A game physics, but with everything RPG), and Nonladder vs. Ladder system..

Yeah, it'll take a lot for me to buy a remastered Diablo 2. I've got the original and that's fine by me; like 14-16k hours logged in it before the Xbox 360 existed and another 5-8k after that in 2008-2011. The original only has problems because of neglect, not because it doesn't look modern.

Remastering their old games seems like a scummy way of telling the world "We're incapable of developing what you want, so I guess we'll retexture our best titles and sell it to you for $49.99 each to make up for it!"

Unless regular balance patches come for Diablo 2 you can expect it to die again.

Bugs + Hacking/Cheating + Overpowered Rune Words + Enigma + no end-game content + Imbalanced Uber system + Dead content zones that look amazing to start. Round it off with a rant about the aspect ratio limits, FPS limiter, the game revolving around FPS in terms of calculation for a lot of things (think Skyrim/Triple A game physics, but with everything RPG), and Nonladder vs. Ladder system..

Yeah, it'll take a lot for me to buy a remastered Diablo 2. I've got the original and that's fine by me; like 14-16k hours logged in it before the Xbox 360 existed and another 5-8k after that in 2008-2011. The original only has problems because of neglect, not because it doesn't look modern.

Remastering their old games seems like a scummy way of telling the world "We're incapable of developing what you want, so I guess we'll retexture our best titles and sell it to you for $49.99 each to make up for it!"

Until D2 no longer works on Win 11 or 12 or whatever the future holds.  Warcraft 2 no longer works properly.

Some of the stuff in SC1 was definitely more goofy:

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gradius00/media/kerrigan.jpg.html

This one I believe is cutscenes only

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gradius00/media/artanis.jpg.html

Marine unit comparison

SC1:

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-14673-1193543439.jpg

SC2

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/3/32/Marine_SC2_Game2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090109125045

There's not less "realistic" about anything I'm seeing. Can you point out something specific? Yes, some of the art style is more rounded in places - in a more organic/realistic way. Terran technology is still very angular and realistic/gritty feeling, for example.

I really don't see it. SC2 did an excellent job of taking a pseudo 2D/3D sprite game and turning it into a full blown 3D engine, while keeping authentic to the original art style.

Lol that first comparison is art style simply not in game, and still original haves creep factor in it.

Marine one better to compare, but I'm talking about overall art style between the two games. SC2 is clearly different type of approach in art style. It's not just in 3D everything is kind of less dark, more zoomed in and overlarged and rounded.

Same thinf D3 and D2