Samsung 850 EVO vs 950 PRo

Gogu
Go to solution Solved by multifrag,

Hello,

I'm looking to buy an SSD that will work best in programs like Autodesk Revit and Autodesk CFD.

I was considering the 850 EVO 500 GB and the 950 Pro 512 GB.

Is it worth the price difrence? will those programs work on a higher QD than 1?

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum and any ssd will give you a performance boost over HDD, but ssd vs ssd in real world comparison will be negligible. Your software is limited to cpu performance on fluid dynamics and a little bit of gpu for previewing. SSD won't change anything apart software loading times

Hello,

I'm looking to buy an SSD that will work best in programs like Autodesk Revit and Autodesk CFD.

Thank you.

How much of a difference?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Hello,

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum and any ssd will give you a performance boost over HDD, but ssd vs ssd in real world comparison will be negligible. Your software is limited to cpu performance on fluid dynamics and a little bit of gpu for previewing. SSD won't change anything apart software loading times

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

The 950 pro is 80% more expensive in my country.

If you have a MOBO with an m.2 slot get the 950EVO if not or you are on a budget the 850EVO will not be a bad choice either.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I will use an X99 MOBO with i7 5820k and m.2 slot.

the 950 pro is allegedly 3 times as fast

• Max Sequential Read: Up to 2500 MBps
  • Max Sequential Write: Up to 1500 MBps

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P03H20193&cm_re=950_pro-_-20-147-467-_-Product

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I get that the 950 is 3-4 times as fast but will i use these speeds in CAD based programs and fluid dynamics?

Hello,

Thank you.

Why are you going M.2?  I mean yeah it's pretty nice but the 750 Series PCI slot SSD is a bit faster in sequential write and sequential read speeds for around the same price depending on the capacity and seller.

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

I get that the 950 is 3-4 times as fast but will i use these speeds in CAD based programs and fluid dynamics?

No you won't notice the speed.

Why are you going M.2?  I mean yeah it's pretty nice but the 750 Series PCI slot SSD is a bit faster in sequential write and sequential read speeds for around the same price depending on the capacity and seller.

The 750 series is way more expensive, and it SUCKS balls at regular applications. It isn't designed for consumer use, and it shows. One of the worst ssd's on the market for loading and boot times.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

No it isn't.

The 950 just walks all over the Intel 750. 

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Samsung-950-PRO-256GB-and-512GB-M2-NVMe-PCIe-SSD-Review/Sequential-Performance-HDTac

Hello,

Thank you.

I don't think it is worth the price difference.

My knowledge of SSD is pretty narrow, so I cannot tell you of the extra amount of performance matters to you and your applications.

I just think that an 850Evo is already an excellent drive and anything faster than that isn't "that noticeable?". Not sure how to say this.

If you want to know about the 950Pro you should have a look at this very detailed review: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Samsung-950-PRO-256GB-and-512GB-M2-NVMe-PCIe-SSD-Review

No you won't notice the speed.

The 750 series is way more expensive, and it SUCKS balls at regular applications. It isn't designed for consumer use, and it shows. One of the worst ssd's on the market for loading and boot times.

Really?  Mine works fantastically and boots up MSX in a matter of seconds it's quite amazing.

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Really?  Mine works fantastically and boots up MSX in a matter of seconds it's quite amazing.

Com'on man. This is twice you have fallen for literally the exact same error.

RELATIVE TO THE COMPETITION the 750 series is AWFUL at booting and loading.

http://techreport.com/review/28050/intel-750-series-solid-state-drive-reviewed/5

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS