How does this magical compression scenario work?

Yeagdrasil

So I Just had a thought....

Windows 7 Retail disk fits inside a DVD disk (4gb) very nicely.....

so how come when you install it it takes up 10gb at least?

Even if it's NTFS block head and such I just dont get it....

So I Just had a thought....

Windows 7 Retail disk fits inside a DVD disk (4gb) very nicely.....

so how come when you install it it takes up 10gb at least?

Even if it's NTFS block head and such I just dont get it....

Take windows 8 for example. 4.7GB and when you install, it takes up a fucking 27GB!

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

It's microsoft were talking about. I'm sure they would know a thing of two about programming and how to compress files :D

Maybe the disk contains scrips instead of actual files that tells the system to create other files from codes. who knows what magic microsoft pulled from their ass.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Take windows 8 for example. 4.7GB and when you install a fucking 27GB!

the iso that you can download of their site is even smaller then 4.7gb actually.. its more like 3.2gb and thats the 64bit variant 

Microsoft knows how many gigs you take up

i'm not even joking...

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Magnets, how do they work right? Bunch off Hard drive magnet magic.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

2 handy vids that should help you wrap your head around it ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Cant wait till they can compress everything onto a 1/2gb :D fastest downloads ever for a OS

I am a happy wuffy

Someone sat on the files and made them tiny.

I am a happy wuffy

I already know about compression algorithm and the dictionary database thing

but even with that..... thats some magic done on method of compression to be cutting the size by half

Just a side note: I kept an archive of all the stats files from Folding @ Home for

a while (I downloaded the complete stats every hour for a few months). They were

already compressed by F@H.

But, wanting to get the most out of it, I de-compressed them after each day, made

one archive for the whole day and recompressed that. I got each daily archive file

down to around 13% of its original size, from ~900 MiB to ~120 MiB (.xz compression

on Linux). If I had made larger archives the percentage would have been even better

(I did test one monthly archive, but can't recall the specific numbers, it was just

too unwieldy, although even better compressed).

Now, of course there is a lot of redundant data in all of those files (the usernames

stay more or less the same throughout all files, and probably make up about half

of the data, and since there are lots of inactive users there are also lots of numbers

which don't change) but still, it shows what can be accomplished with data that is well-

suited for compression.

Anyway, just FYI, it's really not that unusual. ;)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

You have to remember that when you install windows, it reserves a ton of space on the disk that has nothing on it. There's a file that's made that matches the size of your system memory that is basically empty until you put your computer into hibernation. There are all sorts of other files that reserve disk space like that but I don't know enough about the OS to give a complete list.

Tl;DR, your '20GB windows install' isn't 20GB of actual stuff; it's mostly fluff.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

[...]

Also what @alpenwasser said.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

It's probably compressed data and multiple programs/scripts executed to write more data. Idk for sure because Microsoft is secretive.

Guild wars 2 compresses from over 50GB to a 15GB .DAT file. It's not difficult to compress files.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Guild wars 2 compresses from over 50GB to a 15GB .DAT file. It's not difficult to compress files.

really? i didn't know that. i hope they can use that skill to optimize the game better. :/

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

I get what you mean, but I'd just like to point out that compression algorithms

(especially the good ones) can be extremely complex both in their theoretical

foundations as well as in their implementations in code (at least as far as I can

make out, I'm no compression guru). After all, there is an enormous amount of resources

being poured into research in compression, and has been for many decades. So I would

say that compressing files is very difficult, but gets good results for many types of

data.

</pedantic mode> ;)

EDIT: Just realized that you might have been talking merely about the end

user deploying compression on his/her data. Then yes of course it is very easy.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

really? i didn't know that. i hope they can use that skill to optimize the game better. :/

It was one of the first things people did during the beta events, using similar tools to extract the .dat file from GW1.

As for optimizing the game, that's an ongoing process that they're working on. No game is perfect on release, or even up to a year or two after release. Especially MMOs. I haven't played it on older hardware much, so can't say. Going to try playing it again on my old computer back home; I only used that during the beta events before switching to my new gaming rig.

EDIT: Just realized that you might have been talking merely about the end

user deploying compression on his/her data. Then yes of course it is very easy.

Yup. Compression from a programming standpoint is more difficult, and kudos to ArenaNet for accomplishing it.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2