Hot Swapping and Locks/"Security"

Hi, so after doing some searching for rackmount cases on Newegg, I noticed that several of them had locks on their hot swapping bay areas and I was wondering or maybe we could like even straw poll this or have this open for a discussion or something, should server cases have hardware security locks on them? I can understand why in certain cases like for companies in case of a security issue that someone could be sued more or in more legal trouble if they were to break into them for data or something for like obstruction or property, but I mean it just seems too easy to get around. I just don't see a point to that. What do you guys think? 

linus' security server has drive bay locks

and they dont seem easy to get around at all unless you have a saw, which would probably damage the data anyway and you would get nothing

for a home PC its practically useless

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

linus' security server has drive bay locks

and they dont seem easy to get around at all unless you have a saw, which would probably damage the data anyway and you would get nothing

for a home PC its practically useless

I mean for a security issue, it doesn't make sense to have even for business that's fairly cheap and can easily get around just by picking a lock 

I see it as more of a secondary thing more than anything else, say if someone was to accidentally take out the wrong drive that was in an active array it would be pretty bad so keeping it locked in place so someone doesn't take out the wrong drive would be good.

I mean for a security issue, it doesn't make sense to have even for business that's fairly cheap and can easily get around just by picking a lock 

picking a lock isnt "easy"

if you consider that easy then you can "easily" get inside any building you want and steal anything you want

but the point of those locks isnt to keep the data secure

its to prevent the data being taken

like if an employee pretends to fix a server to steal a drive it will be really obviously if they try to pick the lock or cut the server open with a saw

either way if you can get inside the building in the first place there isnt really anything preventing you from taking stuff, but every security measure helps

even if its just stalling for time

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

picking a lock isnt "easy"

if you consider that easy then you can "easily" get inside any building you want and steal anything you want

but the point of those locks isnt to keep the data secure

its to prevent the data being taken

like if an employee pretends to fix a server to steal a drive it will be really obviously if they try to pick the lock or cut the server open with a saw

either way if you can get inside the building in the first place there isnt really anything preventing you from taking stuff, but every security measure helps

even if its just stalling for time

"picking a lock isn't easy" 

Are you kidding me. 

Are you kidding me. 

have you picked locks before?

and im not talking about the pieces of crap on the door of your house than can be opened with a paper clip

Spoiler

have you picked locks before?

and im not talking about the pieces of crap on the door of your house than can be opened with a paper clip

Making assumptions over things you can't fully predict. Where do I even begin with this? How about the value of the storage on the drive? Is the person that's trying to break in an expert that has had experience? Honestly your comment was so poorly thought out it looks like click bait, no offense. 

Are you kidding me. 

It depends on the lock but I agree it is easy, unless it's a safe lock or a deadbolt as they tend to snap makeshift tools.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

It depends on the lock but I agree it is easy, unless it's a safe lock.

Yes, I agree of course it depends on the lock and several other factors to the situation as well that could make things easier and or harder 

Making assumptions over things you can't fully predict. Where do I even begin with this? How about the value of the storage on the drive? Is the person that's trying to break in an expert that has had experience? Honestly your comment was so poorly thought out it looks like click bait, no offense. 

well the point of those locks on drives are for deterring robbery, not preventing it

you cant prevent it if someone really wants to take it then can steal the whole server

but you probably dont understand that, based on the fact that you don't know that the word "clickbait" means

maybe a dictionary would help?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=click+bait

Spoiler

Before trying to attack another member, it would be to your benefit to learn not to post Storage related questions in the networking forum. Which you did. Twice.

Before trying to attack another member, it would be to your benefit to learn not to post Storage related questions in the networking forum. Which you did. Twice.

It is a networking related question. 

It is a networking related question. 

Right..Asking about lock on hot swap bays and asking "Hi, Just wondering are hot swapping drives considered internal or external storage?" are both networking related questions.

Sure.

Let me put it in a way that might make it easier for you to understand. If you do not use the words ethernet, wifi, internet or router, it does NOT belong in networking.

If you use the word drive anywhere at all, it belongs in storage; regardless of any other words used. You could ask something about your "internet accessible drive that's plugged into your wifi router via ethernet" and it would STILL probably belong in storage.

Right..Asking about lock on hot swap bays and asking "Hi, Just wondering are hot swapping drives considered internal or external storage?" are both networking related questions.

Sure.

Let me put it in a way that might make it easier for you to understand. If you do not use the words ethernet, wifi, internet or router, it does NOT belong in networking.

If you use the word drive anywhere at all, it belongs in storage; regardless of any other words used. You could ask something about your "internet accessible drive that's plugged into your wifi router via ethernet" and it would STILL probably belong in storage.

You're obviously not thinking hard enough

HA HA HA

I'm done feeding you.

What a waste of time

Are you kidding me. 

Generally speaking, sometimes a simple deterrent (a lock in this case) is enough to drive a person with malicious intentions away, even if that deterrent isn't that major.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

You're obviously not thinking hard enough

I think he's right. I don't really consider this a "networking" question. Your question is relating to physical security involving server hardware, it in no way DIRECTLY relates to networking. I don't see any conversation about IEEE standards, network typologies, even network security (since your topic involves security), should probably be somewhere else tbh but I'm not trying to pick a fight, just saying.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Having worked with servers for a rather long time the last thing I want on the drive sleds is security locks. Having to try and find a key for a server disk that has failed, possibly at night, is just a giant frustration and adds no security. In fact it could incur more risk than anything else, not knowing where the key is and not having been involved with the setup of the server could delay the replacement while another drive could then also fail.

Secure the room, secure the cabinet but don't go crazy. Drive sled locks only make sense in unsecured environments but then why wouldn't someone just steal the whole server?

If a vendor wishes to put locks on disks I am totally fine with that, it is their system and they would be contracted to look after it. Anyone coming on site would be coming with the key and is fully prepared and knows what to expect.

You wont find disk locks on any HP, Dell, IBM, Lenovo, EMC, NetApp servers and storage systems.

P.S. A more appropriate place for this would have been either Storage Solutions or Cases and Power Supplies.