Best school laptop for sister under $500?

School is coming up fast for my sister, and she needs a laptop bad. I can't put much here so I will just get to the point. Some things I should add is not flashy (black/grey/white), good battery life, and lightweight. I plan to purchase this at Frys, it is the only good store near me (maybe best buy).

What is your budget?
Under $500 USD

What country will you be buying this in?
United States

What size notebook do you prefer?
Ultraportable (11 - 12-inch screen)
Thin and Light (13 - 14-inch screen)

What brands do you like or dislike?
Like: Lenovo, Asus
Dislike: Toshiba, Dell

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
No

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software, Listening to Music, Movie Streaming and Viewing

General school, so MS Office, iTunes, Web browsing, etc.

Where will you be using this laptop?
Will be used different places

How many hours of battery life do you need?
5-6

Will you be buying online or in store?
in store

Which OS do you prefer?
Windows 8 or Windows 7

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
Standard Resolution (1366 x 768)
High Resolution (1600 x 900)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
Glossy or Matte is fine

Is the laptops design important to you?
No

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
Around 8/20/13

How long do you want this laptop to last?
3 years

How much storage capacity do you need?
160 GB

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
No

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
No

Spoiler

What is your budget?

Under $500 USD

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?

No

How many hours of battery life do you need?

Will you be buying online or in store?

in store

These are some quite difficult parameters..

Error: 410

why do you not want to buy online also that battery life at that budget will be difficult to find why does it need to be so long

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

why do you not want to buy online also that battery life at that budget will be difficult to find why does it need to be so long

I'd have to agree.

I looked around a bit and I don't think there's anything available to fit your criteria

Error: 410

I think the battery life could be reduced to 5-6 hours. She just told me 10 hours and I put what she said.

Spoiler

now that is possible at that budget 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Really the only laptop that has 10hr battery life is the macbook air 13in 2013. I would say look at some stuff in the apu range you may find something there.

is this okay for her needs its a little bigger and has a five hour battery life but I couldn't find any better http://www.amazon.com/Acer-V3-551-8458-Notebook-Computer-A8-M4500/dp/B00AVYPR7G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312830

5 hours battery life, but realistically may be less. Search for the equivalent in stores, though afaik, Lenovo laptops are rare at retail stores.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2