Negative consequences of an overpowered PSU

Shades1484

Lets say your building a rig, basic at first, but planning on upgrading and swapping out better parts as they become affordable.

The power draw at first is about 1000va / 599w

When upgrades will be finished down the line (lets say a year from now) the power calculation is about 2000va / 1197w

Does it make sense to get a PSU that will supply the final product? (1197w / 2000 volts)

Or will it cause damage (or a fire) having a 1197w PSU for a 599 power draw?

Lets say your building a rig, basic at first, but planning on upgrading and swapping out better parts as they become affordable.

The power draw at first is about 1000va / 599w

When upgrades will be finished down the line (lets say a year from now) the power calculation is about 2000va / 1197w

Does it make sense to get a PSU that will supply the final product? (1197w / 2000 volts)

Or will it cause damage (or a fire) having a 1197w PSU for a 599 power draw?

PSU efficiency decreases with decreased load, but it is perfectly safe. Overpowering a PSU however is not safe, and many times will just lead to a system shutdown.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2000 volts will absolutely kill anything you plug in :)

But there are only 2 real downsides to an excessively powerful PSU: Higher upfront cost, and lower efficiency when running.  It's not going to damage anything though.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Getting a bigger one now will save you the cost of buying 2 PSUs which is a lot more than the electricity will cost.

also using a higher power psu may lower the psu fan noise/load considerably while your using the lower power configuration depending on PSU

IMO unless you want a backup PSU later just get the big one now.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

2000 volts will absolutely kill anything you plug in :)

I'm going to assume he meant to put 2000VA (volt/amps)

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

I'm going to assume he meant to put 2000VA (volt/amps)

yeah I think so but he literally typed out "volts".  It's like the written "one" in !!!1!11!!11!!one!!!! :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You are not getting less efficiency with less load, its the other way around: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

Power supply's are most efficient at 50% load.

and it is at it's lease efficient sub 20% load. if you PC idles a lot (like most do) and your pc uses say only 10-15 of your PSU's capacity its is using the energy less efficiently per watt than if it where pulling more.

here is an image of a pretty common efficiency curve for a higher end 900w PSU

eff-comparison.png

You are not getting less efficiency with less load, its the other way around: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

Depending on the PSU design the percentage load for peak efficiency changes. Efficiency increases as it approaches this level of usage whether up or down. So with a heavily overpowered psu at say double the capacity of the the peak system load will be most efficient at peak load, but less so when the system is under light or idle load like it is most of the time.

Well, maybe I should have been more clear.  If your power supply can provide twice* (or more) as much power as you need, increasing it further will make it less efficient, but if your power supply is supplying only 10%* more than you need, getting a larger one will make it more efficient.

* I'm basing these numbers on the fact that in general most power supplies are at peak efficiency around 50% load.  This will vary of course but it is pretty common I think.