980ti being overkill at 1080p doesn't make any sense!

Le_Doken

How people say that just because the 980ti is overkill at 1080p that it's a bad thing like "No I would never buy a 980ti for 1080p" is beyond me!

If you have a GPU that get's you over +100fps in most current games that just means you have a powerful GPU that's futureproof for a long time! I just don't get it why people have to push the GPU to the core by buying 4K specifically because they have a 980ti like "yeah I could get a 1080p but I have a 980ti so I'm gonna go with 4K"... unless 4K really means that much to you, it would make sense but a lot of people just buy it because their gpu can do it... I mean unless you have the money to upgrade your GPU every year, this kind of logic is beyond me

aha playing games at 400+FPS is so much fun on a 144HZ panel. thats why its pointless

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

My 390's eat almost everything at 1440p 144hz... A 980TI at 1080P is stupid.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

aha playing games at 400+FPS is so much fun on a 144HZ panel. thats why its pointless

it doesnt even come close to that, its 180fps on newer games at ultra

well 4k pannels are expensive if you are in australia the cheapest at a retail stor was 1grand i was like are you mad i was using a r7 370 running grid auto sport splitscreen on a 4k tv and i was getting 68fps

Because you should never spend that much on a GPU for 1080p

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

How people say that just because the 980ti is overkill at 1080p that it's a bad thing like "No I would never buy a 980ti for 1080p" is beyond me!

If you have a GPU that get's you over +100fps in most current games that just means you have a powerful GPU that's futureproof for a long time! I just don't get it why people have to push the GPU to the core by buying 4K specifically because they have a 980ti like "yeah I could get a 1080p but I have a 980ti so I'm gonna go with 4K"... unless 4K really means that much to you, it would make sense but a lot of people just buy it because their gpu can do it... I mean unless you have the money to upgrade your GPU every year, this kind of logic is beyond me

Haterz gunna hate m8,...those who don't have a 980Ti yet - You've never heard of DSR technology???

A 980Ti at 1080p is silly (for the NOW), but not stupid... (for the future) and IMO it's totally not overkill when using other technologies...

Plus if NEED be, you can limit your overall FPS if you feel 100-180fps is overkill.

But wait... there's more....

FORCE higher details with Upscaling Resolutions, Using SSAA instead of MSAA, Chasing a higher-HZ panel in due course... or a higher resolution in due time.

980Ti @ 1080p is plenty usable for the long term.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Be careful, there are CS:GO players on the forum!

Le wild CSGO Player incoming.

My GPU is a GTX 970, and I play csgo at ~250 fps on a 60Hz (OC to 75Hz) Monitor. Although you cant see above 75Hz since the screen refresh rate is capped, you can definitely feel the difference when playing between a stable 120 fps vs a stable 250fps.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Because you should never spend that much on a GPU for 1080p

My 390's eat almost everything at 1440p 144hz... A 980TI at 1080P is stupid.

because having something that's more futureproof is bad? alright

Buy what you know you'll need. Not what you think you'll need. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Im stuck with 2way sli 980ti on 1080p. U thought 1 was bad I got 2. Waiting for Asus's new 4k sync to come out. PG27AQ.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

Futureproofing.

Futureproofing.

There is no such thing as futureproofing.

Come ten years time, the 980Ti won't be enough to run some high-end games.

To futureproof something is to negate the future's influence on it. You can't do that with graphics cards.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Im stuck with 2way sli 980ti on 1080p. U thought 1 was bad I got 2. Waiting for Asus's new 4k sync to come out. PG27AQ.

Some people will hate on it for the sake of not having it themselves... and while thats not everyone, sure as hell feels like it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Futureproofing.

Futureproofing.

To futureproof something is to negate the future's influence on it. You can't do that with graphics cards.

Precisely. 

Le wild CSGO Player incoming.

My GPU is a GTX 970, and I play csgo at ~250 fps on a 60Hz (OC to 75Hz) Monitor. Although you cant see above 75Hz since the screen refresh rate is capped, you can definitely feel the difference when playing between a stable 120 fps vs a stable 250fps.

That is latency.

No one likes latency, so much so I turned off V-Sync on HL2 (Valve needs to work on their V-Sync)

I also hate tearing, so I was pissed off!

Futureproofing.

Futureproofing.

With futureproofing I mean 4-5 years not 10... I think not even an SLI setup would last 10 years

Even if you had two of these, that ten year expectation is bogus, and YOU should know that, so why bring up the ten year holdout, no one (who likes GPU/Graphics) would do that and would upgrade in due fashion before that time frame was up.

That said, he can use DSR until its not powerful enough, then stick with 1080p until its not powerful enough. <-- how hard is this DSR logic......really?

With futureproofing I mean 4-5 years not 10... I think not even an SLI setup would last 10 years

Same thinking here...

Some people will hate on it for the sake of not having it themselves... and while thats not everyone, sure as hell feels like it.

Not gonna lie, GTA V still rekts both those cards at 1080p. I have tried DSR but I don't notice the difference and it caused problems so i just leave it off. I think 1 980ti would be fine for 1080, if you can budget it then get it. Although running 2 at 1080p is a waste, i'm only doing it till i get my 4k panels. 

I think you're dumb as all hell.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Oh, no one's necessarily hating the fact people have a 980 Ti for 1080p.

I mean, it's unlikely I'll be getting new a new monitor any time soon, but I would love a card like that. I want it.

That's all it comes down to. It's a 'want' card, not a 'need' card...unless you have displays that can take the fullest advantage of it without dynamic super-resolution.

DAYTONA

Future compatibility, then.

Don't use futureproof in that context.

DAYTONA

Its called being a baller, if someone was on a tight budget then you aren't gonna recommend a 980ti, but if they are just like yolo, i have all this cash then why not recommend a 980ti.

And what if the person doesn't intend on upgrading at any point in the near future 780ti is hardly any good for AAA games at ultra 144FPS 1080p and in a year that will probably be where the 980ti is so it's not pointless it will just last longer doing what you want it to do.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

We usually say that when there's a budget in mind. Or when op doesn't want to spend too much.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case