Why do people actually hate OSX so much?

...they took something open-source and went out of their way to close it off as much as they could.

Do you really need more? You ask me why I dislike it, I answered. I do not hold any gripes to it on a technical level, that's fine, because they didn't even make that themselves.

I also don't really like the way it's marketed as being innovative, while they pretty much just added a bunch of images to something that already existed, but hey, w/e.

its also quite a bit different than the original bsd base. 

and windows isnt marketed the same exact way.....right?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

i dont hate it, but i prefer windows.   osx has a lot of great features, but i cant stand the file structure. i dont like that all i have to do is drag a program to the trash to uninstall it, its not intuitive for me, and i never believe its really gone(this comes from using windows my entire life, i know).   and i personally despise the app packages, where your programs are basically just zip files, and that the package itself can break, but not the content inside it. (a common fix for iphoto is to copy the contents of the library file into a new library file wtf).

its not a bad os, but its so unintuitive and locked down for somebody who is a windows power user

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

i dont hate it, but i prefer windows.   osx has a lot of great features, but i cant stand the file structure. i dont like that all i have to do is drag a program to the trash to uninstall it, its not intuitive for me, and i never believe its really gone(this comes from using windows my entire life, i know).   and i personally despise the app packages, where your programs are basically just zip files, and that the package itself can break, but not the content inside it. (a common fix for iphoto is to copy the contents of the library file into a new library file wtf).

its not a bad os, but its so unintuitive and locked down for somebody who is a windows power user

as Someone who uses windows, osx and a slit of Linux, I would say the three os's are basically all the same aside from a few technical specifics. you are partially correct, dragging an app In to the trash doesn't remove all of the application's metadata, but it does remove the application.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

as Someone who uses windows, osx and a slit of Linux, I would say the three os's are basically all the same aside from a few technical specifics. you are partially correct, dragging an app In to the trash doesn't remove all of the application's metadata, but it does remove the application.

i did tech support for apple for a little while, so i got used to it, since i had to use it all day at work, and it was nice on a professional level, but i could never use it at home.   its a great os for somebody who doesnt game, and has no desire or need to change a lot of things.  with windows, if anything goes wrong, i can fix it, even if it means going into system files, or editing the registry. with osx, fuck it, reinstall(yes you can do that on windows too, but ive never felt like i HAD to).

in the end, it all comes down to personal preference.  OSX definately has its place though.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

its also quite a bit different than the original bsd base. 

and windows isnt marketed the same exact way.....right?

"Quite a bit different" 

The interface, mainly.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

it has no customizeability. although windows doesn't either, it has more than OSX

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

it has no customizeability. although windows doesn't either, it has more than OSX

define customizeabilty 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

define customizeabilty 

Source http://www.yourdictionary.com/customizability

customizability

Noun

(uncountable)

The ability to be customized.

customizability - Computer Definition

The ability for software to be changed by the user or programmer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/customizable

customizeor (especially British) customise

[kuhs-tuh-mahyz]

Word Origin

verb (used with object), customized, customizing.

1. to modify or build according to individual or personal specifications or preference:

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I also dislike El Capitan's version of mission control; I don't in c how hides the desktops until you highlight that region.

I don't like the Disk Utility, well sometimes it causes lots of errors, but in OS X Yosemite I didn't face it at all.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

So I was catching up and just realised I missed a whole bunch of your responses. I apologise.

Its obvious that we have clearly different use cases therefore why we have a difference of opinion.

I never use two monitors nor do I use print all that much lol. I have a few dozen tabs spread out across multiple windows across Chrome and Safari, with occasional Terminal use to do something really quickly if I can't be bothered using the GUI to do so. OneNote, Pages and Safari are all open in one Virtual desktop whereas iTunes, Terminal Chrome and Reminders are open on desktop 2 etc...

Oh man I multi-monitor and screenshot so hard!

I just guess I've never seen why Windows would be all that productive for me when OSX is literally perfect for me cause I'm used to everything with it. 

The few reasons I've even decided on making a gaming rig is well obviously:

1. For gaming 

2.This is a forum for the nerds, geeks and tinkerers and I definitely am one (major reason why I'm switching back to Android after using an iphone 6 for two years)

3. I want to see how much Windows has progressed since the Windows Vista days Talking about things that got more hate than they deserved... Vista? what was everyone's problem with that.

4.I just wanna learn about new things in general and having a rig that allows expansion via multiple SSDs will allow me to triple boot OSX, Windows AND Linux as I see fit. 

I bet you're praying that Apple switch to AMD for CPU's given you seem to be pretty keen on Zen. I mean apparently you can hackintosh hard with Yosemite and AMD CPUs so it won't be that big of a deal.

"Again, Intel is pretty fricking evil for pretty much killing AMD with their anti-competitive practices. Why don't you boycott Intel?"

All I can say to that is have a look at my system specs. (Alright I have an intel SSD but I got it for an excellent price)

Boycott nVidia for the same reasons. (gonna get some hate for this)

"That's the way modern OSs work though. Unused space is wasted space."

This is correct. The catch was. OSX wasn't clearing memory... at all, Even if you were out of memory. So you ended up with hundreds of GB's of page file. (Oh did I mention it doesn't (well at least didn't) have a max page file size. This was a huge issue in OSX servers for years.

"10.9 was supposed to vastly improve that experience to make it function like Windows."

"Wat.Wat. Wut?? I swear...I'm not messing or being biased but I've never had that problem"

I probably should have been a bit more clear, So this problem only occurs when using multiple monitors.

Say you have 2 screens

and a application on the left screen.

All of a sudden that application needs to alert you about something.

a pop up appears....

In Windows above the window on the left screen

In Linux, Above the window the user is actively using.

In OSX.... Well lets just say Kevin's been back and is ****ing with us again. Because it might pop up on the left screen or the right. It appears to be completely random to me. 

I don't like the Disk Utility, well sometimes it causes lots of errors, but in OS X Yosemite I didn't face it at all.

That's quite interesting. I've heard a lot of people have had problems with disk utility, I've not ever had an issue with it. Probably one of the best things about OSX in my eyes.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I don't hate it, I actually like it, I just can't game on it lol

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Source http://www.yourdictionary.com/customizability

customizability

-dictionary.com snip-

zzzzz 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't hate OS X, I hate Apple for making changes to OS X that don't support older devices. Had a 1st gen Mac Mini (PowerPC), Apple changed to x86 and dropped PowerPC support. Had a 1st gen MacBook(32-bit Intel), Apple changed to 64-bit only. Stopped buying Apple computers at that point and went back to Linux & Windows.

I bought a game for OS X once, it was coded to blacklist Intel GMA 950 graphics. Not the fault of Apple, but still another situation where the hardware was being restricted.

I don't hate OS X, I hate Apple for making changes to OS X that don't support older devices. Had a 1st gen Mac Mini (PowerPC), Apple changed to x86 and dropped PowerPC support. Had a 1st gen MacBook(32-bit Intel), Apple changed to 64-bit only. Stopped buying Apple computers at that point and went back to Linux & Windows.

I bought a game for OS X once, it was coded to blacklist Intel GMA 950 graphics. Not the fault of Apple, but still another situation where the hardware was being restricted.

I mean....you can't really fault them for not supporting PowerPC with new versions of the OS. 32 bit, on the other hand they should have supported for a few years at least (I don't actually know how long PowerPC/32bit was supported after the switch to x86/64 bit respectively, so I'm just going by what you're saying). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

you cant really mess oround with anything, plus there are very few applications that woik, and overall, windows is better.

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

you cant really mess oround with anything, plus there are very few applications that woik, and overall, windows is better.

Elaborate please. What can't you mess around with? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

So I was catching up and just realised I missed a whole bunch of your responses. I apologise.

"Again, Intel is pretty fricking evil for pretty much killing AMD with their anti-competitive practices. Why don't you boycott Intel?"

All I can say to that is have a look at my system specs. (Alright I have an intel SSD but I got it for an excellent price)

Boycott nVidia for the same reasons. (gonna get some hate for this) - Oh good. Side note, can't wait for Zen!

"That's the way modern OSs work though. Unused space is wasted space."

This is correct. The catch was. OSX wasn't clearing memory... at all, Even if you were out of memory. So you ended up with hundreds of GB's of page file. (Oh did I mention it doesn't (well at least didn't) have a max page file size. This was a huge issue in OSX servers for years. Yep. There was a massive memory leak problem before. Its been fixed, for me at least. Is the memory leak happening on 10.11? AFAIK, the memory leak only happened for some releases of Mavericks and after that it was fixed. 

"10.9 was supposed to vastly improve that experience to make it function like Windows."

"Wat.Wat. Wut?? I swear...I'm not messing or being biased but I've never had that problem"

I probably should have been a bit more clear, So this problem only occurs when using multiple monitors.

Say you have 2 screens

and a application on the left screen.

All of a sudden that application needs to alert you about something.

a pop up appears....

In Windows above the window on the left screen

In Linux, Above the window the user is actively using.

In OSX.... Well lets just say Kevin's been back and is ****ing with us again. Because it might pop up on the left screen or the right. It appears to be completely random to me.  - I suspect there'a pattern but I won't be able to find it as I don't have an external monitor that I could use. I'm gonna take your word for it though as I can't comment on that.

That's quite interesting. I've heard a lot of people have had problems with disk utility, I've not ever had an issue with it. Probably one of the best things about OSX in my eyes.

"I bet you're praying that Apple switch to AMD for CPU's given you seem to be pretty keen on Zen. I mean apparently you can hackintosh hard with Yosemite and AMD CPUs so it won't be that big of a deal."

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! This x100000000000000 

When the rumour came out that Apple might use Zen for the iMac I pretty much lost it it. And it makes sense right? the iMac is a test bed. They don't like dGPUs and AMD seriously cares about making a high end APU as shown by the 16 core behemoth of a Zen chip with HBM on die, right? Some quad core APU variant goes into the iMac with HMB on die with HSA support? Boom. Apple pretty much get their dream chip. Then for the Mac Pro? Switch to the server class Zen APU chip with the highest end Mac Pro getting the 16 core chip obviously with HMB. If Metal will allow dual GPUs to work the way they do under DX12, can you imagine the combined compute power of a Zen APU and say, a Fury Nano type GPU that is based of Arctic Islands?? 

...I think my face is broken right now. Can't stop grinning :P

I'm not a fan of iOS at all, but OSX isn't bad whatsoever. The design beats Windows by a longshot IMO. People still live under the "down with apple, i hate apple becuz i cant afford $1000 macs" umbrella for some weird reason. It's dumb

What's wrong with not liking a company because they sell to expensive products where you can get a similar product for hundred less or at least a product that performs for what you need at a much lower price point. Apple doesn't satisfy a lot of people for choice reason. They have little choice at a higher price point. That's a valid reason to not like the company I think.

I don't hate OS X. I love it! It's great for productivity and crashes minimally. 

EDIT: That being said, I prefer Windows and Linux for compatibility and customizability, respectively. 

Good reasons to like either.

nobody really hates OSX, they hate that apple locks in their hardware and overcharges for it because uninformed consumers dont think twice if it has an apple logo on it. brand loyalty is hate-worthy. 

High prices and locked down OS are good reasons to not enjoy Apple's OSX.

I think there is nothing wrong with brand loyalty. We probably all by products because we like a certain brand. It's like people who drink Coke instead of Pepsi. They like the taste of their soda better typically. You probably go to certain restaurants or buy certain computer parts because of the company/brand that it comes from.

Though, It's really annoying when someone tells you that "this brand is soo good, way better then this and I can prove it" when it's actually a very subjective answer. OSX is good for some things while Windows is better for others. Both can do basically the same stuff. It all comes down to preference of what you want to do and what you like to do.

@TechGod these are the few reasons why people don't like Apple OSX as much. 1. More expense to own a Mac. 2. Locked down OS. 3. Personal preference of how things work such as using the Start Menu and Task Bar on Windows vs the Dock on OSX. 4. Some times people rave about OSX and it can get on someones nerves as well. This only happens if you know an annoy Mac guy. This can also happen with an annoying PC guy as well.

What's wrong with not liking a company because they sell to expensive products where you can get a similar product for hundred less or at least a product that performs for what you need at a much lower price point. Apple doesn't satisfy a lot of people for choice reason. They have little choice at a higher price point. That's a valid reason to not like the company I think.

Good reasons to like either.

High prices and locked down OS are good reasons to not enjoy Apple's OSX.

I think there is nothing wrong with brand loyalty. We probably all by products because we like a certain brand. It's like people who drink Coke instead of Pepsi. They like the taste of their soda better typically. You probably go to certain restaurants or buy certain computer parts because of the company/brand that it comes from.

Though, It's really annoying when someone tells you that "this brand is soo good, way better then this and I can prove it" when it's actually a very subjective answer. OSX is good for some things while Windows is better for others. Both can do basically the same stuff. It all comes down to preference of what you want to do and what you like to do.

@TechGod these are the few reasons why people don't like Apple OSX as much. 1. More expense to own a Mac. 2. Locked down OS. 3. Personal preference of how things work such as using the Start Menu and Task Bar on Windows vs the Dock on OSX. 4. Some times people rave about OSX and it can get on someones nerves as well. This only happens if you know an annoy Mac guy. This can also happen with an annoying PC guy as well.

The PC master race comments all over the internet piss me off. Not to mention the idiots that think that OSX users are too dumb or stupid to understand computers.

The XPS 13, Lenevo Yoga 900, Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 are all expensive as well. Why not bash them? here's a hint. Its not because they're over priced but because they provide a better overall experience than cheaper laptops. 

No, that's not a reason to hate a company. You can think their products don't make sense to YOU, but that's not a reason to hate a company. Not every product in the world is marketed towards everyone. I can assure you, a Bugatti Veyron doesn't offer 70x the performance of a normal car; does that make it a bad product? Or that I should hate Bugatti? No, of course not. Just because I wouldn't buy it (because it's not marketed to me) doesn't make it a bad product. The same is true for any Apple product (or any other product for that matter). Not everything is marketed to everybody. 

More expensive...well, it depends on the models and what you're after. If you're the rMBPs to the ultrabook competition, then no, they're not really priced all that much more; the same goes for the AIOs. 

Locked down....not really, the vast majority of things you can do on Windows you can do on OSX. 

That's a fair point, there are slight functional differences between the UI's that one might prefer one way or the other. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

IBM will seriously disagree with you. (As will I, having worked in IT)

Many companies develop their own in-house software negating that as an issue; and the majority of other programs that a business may need are available on both. 

You sound very credible....Knowing quite a few people involved in the IT industry, programming, other, the vast majority of which have no complaints with Macs (no more so than with any Windows computer). So yeah....I find it hard to take anything from someone who's clearly so objective on the matter that they're just going to call Apple systems 'shit'. 

Right, that's why so many people use Mac's/OSX; it's just so bad that everyone flocks to it to experience how bad it really is and to laugh at it while they're using it all day long. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ufpf_yfXpRD7Qcid4ft2c-cGd_6XgYEZy_FPP78lXQQ/mobilebasic?pli=1

If you read that, it seems that

1. IBM doesn't use AD or any non-IBM software it manage it's fleet.

2. They basically give local admin access to everyone.

3. They have no (or little) endpoint management. Seriously, the question about an application to reset local passwords... Nope, they just deploy a configuration profile that enforces password complexity. 

4. No SSO (wtf?!?!?)

5. Implications that they don't use AV on endpoints?

6. most of the macs seems to get a windows VM anyways.

7. "Help them help themselves by showing them how to reset their own password" wtf? while good in principle (i.e. educate the end user, rather then just fix the issue) this screams bad practice. I can see it now. "oh, that is Boss' Macbook" i'll just log into single user mode, reset his password, login as him, do whatever I want as the boss, then leave it on his desk, and he will reset his own password to get back in". <- there are some things you don't what the user to know how to do.

8. A lot of the things they refer to are best practice, that should have been implemented on a windows environment anyways, which where not by the looks of it.

Seriously, Fletcher Previn, seems like a typical VP, doesn't know a thing (he also seems like a bit of a dick). So i wouldn't be placing too much stock in articles based off this presentation. I know I give IBM a hard time about 'not being the big name they once where' But not even I think they'd have fallen so far as to pay no regard to best practices. 

The PC master race comments all over the internet piss me off. Not to mention the idiots that think that OSX users are too dumb or stupid to understand computers.

The XPS 13, Lenevo Yoga 900, Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 are all expensive as well. Why not bash them? here's a hint. Its not because they're over priced but because they provide a better overall experience than cheaper laptops. 

Unfortunately most OSX users are "idiots" at least in the tech world anyway. I'd estimate maybe 1 in 100 OSX users to be what I would qualify as tech savvy. (Admitedly better than the 1 in 10,000 windows users that are Tech Savvy) 

What really grinds my gears though. Is that almost all "Mac" users I've dealt with are just full of them selves, they don't use OSX for any logical reason they use it, but because they think it makes them "cool". Yeah there are the exceptions like yourself, a couple of the guys I work with also use Macs and have very valid reasons for using them, But even they joke about apple customers because when it comes to anything tech related you're better off talking to a brick wall.

Mind you we are dealing with those who don't know how to fix their own problems, the trouble is those are the people who buy Macs. 

The problem stems from retailers. The sell customers macs on the basis that nothing goes wrong with them. (ARGH!!! Of coarse they have problems. No software is flawless that's just how shit is)

The most annoying type is the "Oh so what was wrong with it?" customer. They want you to explain to them what the problem was, You can't just tell them "IT WAS YOU!" (This isn't just apple users, I just had a bad day)

As for your other point about expensive computers. People do point out how expensive they are, All the time. The reason you don't hear about it is because the people who have the price issue can go and find something cheaper in the "Windoze" world. If you want a mac (and you're a typical apple person, So you don't know or want to know how to hackintosh) then you can't find a cheaper option.

At one point I would have even gone to the stage of saying Macs weren't overpriced. I dunno how your Kiwi dollar is doing, But ours is shot. Apple are putting Macs up here on a monthly basis. Much faster than the AUD is falling. for example a specific 13" MBP is now $1697. 3 months ago was $1297. That's $400 in 3 months. That's more than a 30% price increase. That's not just 1 of them either the whole range has done it.The windows machines have gone up about 5% in the same time. Whats Odd is the iPads have only gone up 10%. 

To end on a happy note. BRING ON ZEN! I need a new CPU, I'm not buying intel!

Spoiler

Unfortunately most OSX users are "idiots" at least in the tech world anyway. I'd estimate maybe 1 in 100 OSX users to be what I would qualify as tech savvy. (Admitedly better than the 1 in 10,000 windows users that are Tech Savvy) 

What really grinds my gears though. Is that almost all "Mac" users I've dealt with are just full of them selves, they don't use OSX for any logical reason they use it, but because they think it makes them "cool". Yeah there are the exceptions like yourself, a couple of the guys I work with also use Macs and have very valid reasons for using them, But even they joke about apple customers because when it comes to anything tech related you're better off talking to a brick wall.

Mind you we are dealing with those who don't know how to fix their own problems, the trouble is those are the people who buy Macs. 

The problem stems from retailers. The sell customers macs on the basis that nothing goes wrong with them. (ARGH!!! Of coarse they have problems. No software is flawless that's just how shit is)

The most annoying type is the "Oh so what was wrong with it?" customer. They want you to explain to them what the problem was, You can't just tell them "IT WAS YOU!" (This isn't just apple users, I just had a bad day)

As for your other point about expensive computers. People do point out how expensive they are, All the time. The reason you don't hear about it is because the people who have the price issue can go and find something cheaper in the "Windoze" world. If you want a mac (and you're a typical apple person, So you don't know or want to know how to hackintosh) then you can't find a cheaper option.

At one point I would have even gone to the stage of saying Macs weren't overpriced. I dunno how your Kiwi dollar is doing, But ours is shot. Apple are putting Macs up here on a monthly basis. Much faster than the AUD is falling. for example a specific 13" MBP is now $1697. 3 months ago was $1297. That's $400 in 3 months. That's more than a 30% price increase. That's not just 1 of them either the whole range has done it.The windows machines have gone up about 5% in the same time. Whats Odd is the iPads have only gone up 10%. 

To end on a happy note. BRING ON ZEN! I need a new CPU, I'm not buying intel!

I cannot recommend Macs to anyone here. I just can't. They weren't overpriced before (could get a 8GB, 128GB model for something like 1.8-1.9K now guess what? 2.4K!!!!! That's seriously why I've been looking at the Surface Pro 4 and XPS 13. You can get an XPS 13 with Broadwell (the 5xxx is broadwell isn't it?) with a 256GB SSD and the same 8GB of RAM!!! I mean sure you're gonna lose some resolution (From 2560*1600 to 1920*1080) but come on! All the reviews I've seen say that the colour accuracy is pretty excellent and both are are IPS which are the more important things about a screen anyway. To match the XPS 13's storage? Its 2.7K.

I mean, I love OSX but not $500 dollars more. Plus, the Surface Pro 4 with a Skylake i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, 256GB and the other goodies like touch screen and the Surface Pen along with it costs a total of $2350. It's STILL cheaper than a MBP FFS. The way I see it, I'm not going to be replacing this laptop anytime soon. I want a premium laptop (or a hybrid, don't care) but you have to pay money for it and right now, the NZ economy in comparison to the USD is not allowing it. 

I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford my gaming rig if prices keep shooting up like this:/. Hell, an AMD FX 9000 something card I saw went up a decent bit and was going for a minimum of $400! 

But yes. I hope Zen launches, creates competition, causes lower prices etc....Damn it. I'm fricking depressed now. I have a morning exam tomorrow AND now the realisation that I might not be able to build my first rig is just dawning on me....