Why do people actually hate OSX so much?

Final Cut Pro X has gained back nearly all the features it had lost. 

And the rest of the industry has since moved on. sorry, but it is not the 'gold standard' it was 10 years ago.

That's the point...

1. OK then?

2. So far, agree..
3. Then just don't update to the latest OSX version? Explain why OSX is worse here, IBM is clearly liking the Macs that they use. - unfortunately Apple only supports the current and 2 revisions back, this is their official policy, so that means you have a legacy application that is 3 years old? yep not supported, so not updating is not an option. IBM is not using Macs, their entire program you are referring to was about bringing productivity applications to iOS, completely different thing. Nope. IBM now uses Macs. Search up that program.
4. Seriously? It is correct.. No, go tell your average end user to update their drivers on Ubuntu, or any Linux system. seem them stare at you blankly. Tell your average Linux server user the same, and it was done yesterday. - Do you even KNOW how seamless updates are on OSX? Even Linus admitted it. 
5. Again, talking about Enterprise and  Business. Am I fricking talking about them? I'm talking about 99% of the population - Lets forget that the consumer market is pennies compared to enterprise, and you should have noticed the theme in my responses, consumer is fine, and while applecare exists they are great, but in the real world they are terrible (go look at what the apple store runs off, what?!?!?! no OSX Server, but *gasp* Linux (well Apache, last I checked)) - Apple's primary market is the general consumer. Its so plain to see.
6. Lolwut? So OSX didn't have the option to use third party programs that could do the same thing back when OSX didn't have that feature? And really? Linux had it before OSX natively, so pre 2006? Where's your refute for the trackpad and how you can bring up definitions or quickly preview things? -Multi-touch devices existed for a long time before apple popularized it. You talk of definitions and Quickly Preview things, is thanks to Finder, not multi-touch, not virtual desktops. With regards to the multiple desktops I miss-typed, they where available on Linux and windows with thrid-party applications (just read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_desktop#X_Window_System_.28Unix_and_Unix-like.29 ). - You COMPLETELY missed my point here.
7. HA! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Funny. But not true. - No, seriously OSX has it's place, it just isn't as good as you think. and it just seams that a lot of your arguments are lacking due to your lack of technical knowledge on the topic. Unless I have miss-understood you seem to think Apple = OSX.  - For the purposes of this discussion, OSX is a product made by Apple so I feel as if it can be used interchangeably 

EDIT: Fixing the damn colours.

Bolded.

IBM will seriously disagree with you. (As will I, having worked in IT)

Are you have issues loading http://www.jamfsoftware.com/blog/mac-ibm-zero-to-30000-in-6-months/ also? I keep going to look at the source of the three articles, but it just doesn't load, but all the other blog posts from that event work fine...

The only one that looks to be related is http://www.jamfsoftware.com/blog/converting-a-windows-only-business-to-apple/ But there are no hard numbers, and they mention other practices (such as a self serve portal) which is already best practice, irrespective of the endpoint.

So after reading through all of these comments, I've seen many arguments for and against. Some of which have been valid, Some of which have been down right dumb and some are just wrong.

My personal stance with OSX is that it doesn't do anything that I use on Linux or windows better than either of these do. 

Before someone comes up and starts making a big deal about the track pad and gestures. I don't want to use a track pad... EVER, regardless of how "good" a trackpad is, a mouse is simply better. Something which OSX has terrible support for. (Don't get me started on the magic mouse) - For my general usage? Mouse support is fine. I can definitely understand where you're coming from though.

Other operating systems in the last decade have come parsecs, OSX has been fumbling along adding cool new features like spotlight, But not improving any of the things that have been there from the start. - That's debatable. 

For example, The dock, As useful as it is (and well integrated for a dock) still takes up some ridiculous amount of space (Not so bad on a 5K iMac) These are computers, With decent resolution screens why take up so much of my precious screen real estate with a dock. I know you are all going to point out you can auto hide it and adjust the size and the scaling of the hovered over icons. It just seems that no one does this. Everytime I have to work on a Mac (It happens an awful lot considering how they "don't have problems") the dock takes up some huge portion of the screen. Very frustrating when you're trying to multi-task while still being able to view them all at the same time. Remember these are computers not tablets/phones.

This has been corrected a little with window snapping finally being added in 10.11 (Also why are they so stuck on OSX why not OS11) - Tbh, never saw an issue with its size but thats because I use autohide and use Mission Control to switch between apps quickly, which is better for me.

Also the not having a maximise button. (Yes theres a full screen mode but it hides anything that is useful. yes it pops up when you hover your mouse but by that point because the top bar is contextualised (Actually a feature I love outside of full screen mode) you never know where the mouse needs to be until you've already hovered over the bar) is just to much of an oversight,then they're just being to stubborn to fix it. - No actually, its kinda stupid but click on the "Fullscreen mode" button with the option key and it becomes a proper maximise button. Stupid place to put it, I know. 

Finder, Oh god what a nightmare (also a little less now that you can snap windows, Yes I know there are tabs) but holy hell. Not remembering what view you want on a folder by folder basis. Seriously Why the hell would I want enormous thumbnails for documents, and why would I want a list of pictures. Things that are so simple yet drive me up the wall. - Fair enough. I love the tabs and the search functionality so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Boot times. (yes they're not that bad when they have NVME SSD's, But I've never understood that even when they have a plain SSD they take longer to boot then a windows machine on HDD. Considering they only support very select hardware you'd think they'd spend some time on optimisation. Again, lol. I never turn my laptop off so I basically never notice start up speeds. I'll give it a try and see how fast it is.

Also anyone had that stupid beach ball come up and never go away, Having to hard reboot. (To be fair this has been a lot better in recent builds, It still occurs though) - When that beachball occurs (rarely) I just swipe to the next desktop and force quit the app causing the issue. Also depends on your Mac. What model is it?

After all this ranty stuff, There are things I really like about OSX.

- Search (even if you're guessing or not sure what your looking for you still get the results your looking for.

- Contextual top bar

- I like the way launcher integrates certain folders (like downloads)

- I like the non hassle installs 

I use OSX on a fairly regular basis.

Much to my dismay, I will admit that I'm in general not a fan. But there are definitely reasons people don't like it. - That's totally fine. It doesn't work for YOU. You're immediately better than the "#LOLZ PCMASTERRACEFTW!!!!" who just instantly start bashing for no good reason.

It really depends how you look at the word evil. I would consider them evil myself. The company has no interest in anything or anyone other than making money. Yes their a business but you only have to look at Tax evasion, Patent trolling (OK some of them were legitimate), and the way the seem to continue to breach GPL just pretend it didn't happen. - Basically every big business is like this. Look at Samsung. 

Now who is being Biased. There are legitimately reasons to "Hate" an inferior product. (I'm probably going to regret that)

That is fair enough. Depends what you're comparing it to.

Comparing it to a Vacuum, You could definitely say that the vacuum sucks more.

Comparing it to a Decent Linux Distro, or even windows. OSX sucks more. - That's your opinion. 

Don't be thinking I love windows, I could go all day about that as well. But there is a reason Windows has the market share that it does.  - Not really, I'm pretty sure its cause Apple messed up with OS 8 and 9. Pretty badly, may I add.

Nice to have this discussion with you. You bought up interesting points. 

Are you have issues loading http://www.jamfsoftware.com/blog/mac-ibm-zero-to-30000-in-6-months/ also? I keep going to look at the source of the three articles, but it just doesn't load, but all the other blog posts from that event work fine...

The only one that looks to be related is http://www.jamfsoftware.com/blog/converting-a-windows-only-business-to-apple/ But there are no hard numbers, and they mention other practices (such as a self serve portal) which is already best practice, irrespective of the endpoint.

I'm personally not having issues loading the site. But there ya go. IBM IS indeed using Macs in the professional environment. To call them what you did is false. 

Bolded.

Nope. IBM now uses Macs. Search up that program. - wasn't aware of this program, However as I said to that guy that interned at IBM from these forums... Big Blue isn't the be all and end all any more. And I can assure you  that the infrastructure is all going to be Linux and BSD based. For a lot of roles they will be able to run an Apple Device you ever seen a non-technical manager do anything more then look at a spreadsheet or open a word document? (read this as all middle management and up could do their job on palm pilot).

Do you even KNOW how seamless updates are on OSX? Even Linus admitted it. Yeah, but Linus (sorry but it's true) doesn't know much about IT. Sure he knows more then your average person. Do you even know what WSUS is? Sorry but your arguments seem to be based on the individual, which I haven't really be arguing with your about. Sure you can deploy OSX Server with the update cache configured, which will work fine, but scales horribly. So then your looking at other options such as a dedicated caching server which is going to be running Linux/BSD which can actually scale. if we do a OSX v Windows for updated across 1 system, it'd be a win for apple (slightly) but as soon as you go to 50+ endpoints your going to get massive benefits from WSUS, and yes, it updates a hole lot smoother then OSX (and if you looking at 1000 clients x 1GB of updates that would be either 1TB of downloads or 1GB of downloads at ~1-2kbps from the OSX server/cloud versus how fast do you want these 100 endpoints to update? slow, leave em on 1 HDD will be just as quick as the apple solution. Fast? load WSUS of your dedicated SAN).
 Apple's primary market is the general consumer. Its so plain to see. Yes I agree, I never said it wasn't. I just aid that it was substandard, and then elaborated that I was referring to enterprise.
 You COMPLETELY missed my point here. Please elaborate then.
 For the purposes of this discussion, OSX is a product made by Apple so I feel as if it can be used interchangeably Well... You just lucky I am not an English teacher because they are completely different things.

I'm personally not having issues loading the site. But there ya go. IBM IS indeed using Macs in the professional environment. To call them what you did is false. 

No, not yet. Knowing how apple works IBM would get Apple to load a custom image straight from the apple store. so that'd reduce your overhead IT requirements by a bit. There are other things that'd reduce the helpdesk work limits also, such as employees calling Apple care directly (because their consumer support is actual good - said this before) etc etc. I'd also like to, you know have some facts about these programs. Lots of people use Apple in a professional environment, doesn't mean they aren't shit. There are a lot of times where linux and windows are shit for the requirements given. I am just say that apple doesn't measure up in the enterprise world, and pointing to one large company which has yet to replace 25% of their systems, with no mention of the infrastructure running behind the screens, in an organisation that has 400,00 FTE and ~800,000 Contractors (that should be called full-time employees, but are not because big blue only cares about reporting earnings per employee and contactors on't count in this figure) also, wonder what is going to happen to their systems? nothing mentioned there either, so assume a 3 year cycle (it is higher then this) and ~100,000 replacement computers a cycle, it'd day 12 Cycles (or 36 years) before they push out 100%, which they have't said they would do, and the 200k figure includes iOS devices, but i'd say there would be more iOS devices getting pushed out as pretty much every employee would be getting a work phone).

1.Nope. IBM now uses Macs. Search up that program. - wasn't aware of this program, However as I said to that guy that interned at IBM from these forums... Big Blue isn't the be all and end all any more. And I can assure you  that the infrastructure is all going to be Linux and BSD based. For a lot of roles they will be able to run an Apple Device you ever seen a non-technical manager do anything more then look at a spreadsheet or open a word document? (read this as all middle management and up could do their job on palm pilot).

2.Do you even KNOW how seamless updates are on OSX? Even Linus admitted it. Yeah, but Linus (sorry but it's true) doesn't know much about IT. Sure he knows more then your average person. Do you even know what WSUS is? Sorry but your arguments seem to be based on the individual, which I haven't really be arguing with your about. Sure you can deploy OSX Server with the update cache configured, which will work fine, but scales horribly. So then your looking at other options such as a dedicated caching server which is going to be running Linux/BSD which can actually scale. if we do a OSX v Windows for updated across 1 system, it'd be a win for apple (slightly) but as soon as you go to 50+ endpoints your going to get massive benefits from WSUS, and yes, it updates a hole lot smoother then OSX (and if you looking at 1000 clients x 1GB of updates that would be either 1TB of downloads or 1GB of downloads at ~1-2kbps from the OSX server/cloud versus how fast do you want these 100 endpoints to update? slow, leave em on 1 HDD will be just as quick as the apple solution. Fast? load WSUS of your dedicated SAN).
3Apple's primary market is the general consumer. Its so plain to see. Yes I agree, I never said it wasn't. I just aid that it was substandard, and then elaborated that I was referring to enterprise.
4You COMPLETELY missed my point here. Please elaborate then.
5. For the purposes of this discussion, OSX is a product made by Apple so I feel as if it can be used interchangeably Well... You just lucky I am not an English teacher because they are completely different things.

1.Fine. Don't know much about the enterprise

2.Again, not familiar with enterprise hardware or software solutions or their demands

3. So we've established that for 99% of the public, OSX is just as good as Windows? We're kidding ourselves here if we think we're anywhere near the majority

4. My point wasn't that Apple made multi touch point devices first. It was that Windows doesn't have these sorts of features built in like OSX does. OSX has tonnes of these little time saver features that I can't live without. 

5.Apple is a company that makes OSX. I can get really specific if I want but you damn well know what I meant. 

I'm glad we're reaching an understanding here. 

No, not yet. Knowing how apple works IBM would get Apple to load a custom image straight from the apple store. so that'd reduce your overhead IT requirements by a bit. There are other things that'd reduce the helpdesk work limits also, such as employees calling Apple care directly (because their consumer support is actual good - said this before) etc etc. I'd also like to, you know have some facts about these programs. Lots of people use Apple in a professional environment, doesn't mean they aren't shit. There are a lot of times where linux and windows are shit for the requirements given. I am just say that apple doesn't measure up in the enterprise world, and pointing to one large company which has yet to replace 25% of their systems, with no mention of the infrastructure running behind the screens, in an organisation that has 400,00 FTE and ~800,000 Contractors (that should be called full-time employees, but are not because big blue only cares about reporting earnings per employee and contactors on't count in this figure) also, wonder what is going to happen to their systems? nothing mentioned there either, so assume a 3 year cycle (it is higher then this) and ~100,000 replacement computers a cycle, it'd day 12 Cycles (or 36 years) before they push out 100%, which they have't said they would do, and the 200k figure includes iOS devices, but i'd say there would be more iOS devices getting pushed out as pretty much every employee would be getting a work phone).

Again, it may be entirely possible to refute your arguments but I don't work in enterprise or IT so I can't make comments without looking like a fool. I don't actually work anywhere though soooo :P . 

1.Fine. Don't know much about the enterprise

2.Again, not familiar with enterprise hardware or software solutions or their demands

3. So we've established that for 99% of the public, OSX is just as good as Windows? We're kidding ourselves here if we think we're anywhere near the majority

4. My point wasn't that Apple made multi touch point devices first. It was that Windows doesn't have these sorts of features built in like OSX does. OSX has tonnes of these little time saver features that I can't live without. 

5.Apple is a company that makes OSX. I can get really specific if I want but you damn well know what I meant. 

I'm glad we're reaching an understanding here. 

I'll leave it there, as I just finished work and have better things to do now... But yeah if you get into IT, and you have large support ratios (gig I was at before this was ~ 2200:1) you need a solid Infrastructure, so you can actually spend time working adding to the business rather then deploying a printer 100 times and not doing anything else that day. OSX, sadly doesn't have it. Linux and Windows do. Apple is just lucky Linux supports everything (and it turns out IBM is actually pretty good with linux/BSD).

Nice to have this discussion with you. You bought up interesting points. 

-snip-

No actually, its kinda stupid but click on the "Fullscreen mode" button with the option key and it becomes a proper maximise button. Stupid place to put it, I know.

Oh man Option + Fullscreen.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!! This is going to make my life much easier.

I am a bit of a screen-estate nazi. I treasure every millimetre of screen real-estate I can.

post-2767-0-38854000-1445847235_thumb.pn

-snip-

That's totally fine. It doesn't work for YOU.

Exactly it doesn't work for me. as well as many others. Just proving that there are reasons people don't like things. Not just people being microshills. 

It's not my computer I have a problem. I'm have a Power Mac G4. Running 10.5 because it's the last Power PC bulid (before they gave up and switched to intel/x86) All it does is emulate PS2 games, Very well I might add. I just spend a lot of time "servicing" other peoples computers. My workflow at this point is great on windows PC's doesn't normally take much man time to fix an issue, Just set it up and let it go. Fixing a mac however that screws my rhythm big time. (Probably because In most cases its something I've not encountered before). 

That's debatable.

So up until 10.9 they hadn't updated anything that was licensed under a newer GPL than 2.0 simply because they wanted to sell OSX. (there's a lot more to it then that but its the basic gist)

All of a sudden OSX is free, Apple make out it was to benefit users. Simple fact is they were using code that was so old, it was slow and insecure. They had to make it free to use code that's current. So what that means is that anything dependent on anything GPL licensed (Most of this software) was out of date. I don't know if you noticed how faster/stable things have been since 10.9, Things got a lot more secure as well.

A few years back maybe '07/'08 some hacker made a speech at a hacker conference called "if you want to hack a mac". With a few simple steps

1. Find some open source software it's using.

2. Check the change log on the project page.

3. Find an bug/exploit that's been fixed in the change log.

4.exploit it.

5.Profit?

They did update it themselves... well try they were so far behind that you could often find things that were fixed a year before in the open source project that they hadn't got around to fixing.

Now it's a totally different thing but still. But they were adding new fancy features to a system that was old and needing updating itself. They seem to be slowly working on this. I.E. photos.

-snip-

Basically every big business is like this. Look at Samsung.

You're 100% correct. It doesn't stop them being "evil" though.

-snip-

Fair enough. I love the tabs and the search functionality so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Tabs are great. the One thing I can honestly say Finder has over Windows Explorer.

-snip-

When that beachball occurs (rarely) I just swipe to the next desktop and force quit the app causing the issue. Also depends on your Mac. What model is it?

Swiping to the next desktop would work a treat with a trackpad. -.- Trackpads...

-snip-

Not really, I'm pretty sure its cause Apple messed up with OS 8 and 9. Pretty badly, may I add.

OS9 was great /s

Up until the last few years OSX really hasn't had enough software to gain market share, a big put back was switching to x86. They lost a lot of software from that. However it did increase the rate of software development for the platform. Probably a good business decision, I'm just still a little sour about it.

(Sorry if this post is all over the place. I was in and out while typing it, I've probably missed some things)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Now who is being Biased. There are legitimately reasons to "Hate" an inferior product. (I'm probably going to regret that)

How the actual fuck am I being biased? I hate all people and all OSes equally. Think before you speak, smart one.

With that, I kindly recommend you go away and learn to think on the edge of a weak cliff and come back when I don't want to beat you with a wet noodle.

And the rest of the industry has since moved on. sorry, but it is not the 'gold standard' it was 10 years ago.

Agreed. Final Cut is ass.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Oh man Option + Fullscreen.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!! This is going to make my life much easier.

I am a bit of a screen-estate nazi. I treasure every millimetre of screen real-estate I can.

attachicon.gifscreen realestate.png

Exactly it doesn't work for me. as well as many others. Just proving that there are reasons people don't like things. Not just people being microshills. 

It's not my computer I have a problem. I'm have a Power Mac G4. Running 10.5 because it's the last Power PC bulid (before they gave up and switched to intel/x86) All it does is emulate PS2 games, Very well I might add. I just spend a lot of time "servicing" other peoples computers. My workflow at this point is great on windows PC's doesn't normally take much man time to fix an issue, Just set it up and let it go. Fixing a mac however that screws my rhythm big time. (Probably because In most cases its something I've not encountered before). - And I would have equal difficulty in fixing an issue in Windows. Cause I'm used to OSX.

So up until 10.9 they hadn't updated anything that was licensed under a newer GPL than 2.0 simply because they wanted to sell OSX. (there's a lot more to it then that but its the basic gist)

All of a sudden OSX is free, Apple make out it was to benefit users. Simple fact is they were using code that was so old, it was slow and insecure. They had to make it free to use code that's current. So what that means is that anything dependent on anything GPL licensed (Most of this software) was out of date. I don't know if you noticed how faster/stable things have been since 10.9, Things got a lot more secure as well. - Idk about that... 10.6 was the fastest OSX version ( and super stable too) I've ever used with only El Capitan being a close second. OSX Lion was an abomination and Apple should feel bad for ever releasing that POS.

A few years back maybe '07/'08 some hacker made a speech at a hacker conference called "if you want to hack a mac". With a few simple steps

1. Find some open source software it's using.

2. Check the change log on the project page.

3. Find an bug/exploit that's been fixed in the change log.

4.exploit it.

5.Profit?

They did update it themselves... well try they were so far behind that you could often find things that were fixed a year before in the open source project that they hadn't got around to fixing.

Now it's a totally different thing but still. But they were adding new fancy features to a system that was old and needing updating itself. They seem to be slowly working on this. I.E. photos.  - Safari has gotten some love, Spotlight got a massive boost and they're finally fixing two apps on a screen issue, I think they've come around to fixing core OS issues now. And they massively improved dual monitor support in 10.9 I think.

You're 100% correct. It doesn't stop them being "evil" though. - Again, Intel is pretty fricking evil for pretty much killing AMD with their anti-competitive practices. Why don't you boycott Intel?

Tabs are great. the One thing I can honestly say Finder has over Windows Explorer. - I also love the tags feature in Finder. Don't know if Windows has that

Swiping to the next desktop would work a treat with a trackpad. -.- Trackpads...  - There are keyboard shortcuts to activate it or you can set up hot corners to switch between desktops with a trackpad. Its in mission control settings. 

OS9 was great /s - Lmao. +1

Up until the last few years OSX really hasn't had enough software to gain market share, a big put back was switching to x86. They lost a lot of software from that. However it did increase the rate of software development for the platform. Probably a good business decision, I'm just still a little sour about it. -REALLY? Genuinely surprised. Pretty much any browser is available, Microsoft Suite, Adobe, Apple's (obviously) virtualisation software, amazing apps like Xcode, Android Studio, FTP clients galore and way more to list here. 

(Sorry if this post is all over the place. I was in and out while typing it, I've probably missed some things)

If there are other things you hate, tell me. Maybe I know of a solution like I did for the Option and full screen thing.  

I'm not trying to convince you but the very least, provide you with more info so you can comment on it better. 

If there are other things you hate, tell me. Maybe I know of a solution like I did for the Option and full screen thing.  

I'm not trying to convince you but the very least, provide you with more info so you can comment on it better. 

Haha I have a few other issues. Some of them are things that you can't really do much about.

like on the optical disc drive models, the eject button is right above the delete key (Seriously who ever designed this :@) It's probably not an issue to people that only use their macs, But when using them on and off you never get used to the keyboard.

This also isn't an issue now we're finally killing off discs (Hallelujah) 

BUT WAIT!, Then that genius must have got his job back when they got rid of optical drives, He was all like "what else can I do to fuck with people"

Then he put the bloody power button there. So now instead of accidentally pressing eject. I PUT THE FREAKING COMPUTER TO SLEEP! 

The amount of times this happens to me is just "TOO DAMN HIGH". (I'm going to try and calm down now)

I really don't like that the keyboards are missing the Home/End Print Screen buttons. 

I know there are short cuts but cmd+shift+3/4 or add a spacebar depending on what your capturing is a bit of a pain to remember (I got there eventually)

fn + </> isn't that big of a deal. then to select a line its shift+fn+</>. The worst thing is under Linux/BSD/Windows the ctrl key and the arrows move the cursor one word at a time. and ctrl + shift + </> highlight one word at a time. This is a pain because the ctrl key is where the fn key is on a mac.

That guy from the eject/power button debacle is back - "Hey lets mess with power users and screw with all the keyboard shortcuts for OSX". (It's funny because I complain but I'm totally the person who would do that xD)

I don't like that when I close a program it doesn't clear it from RAM (10.7 and before and this was more of an issue with older macs that don't have much memory) Having to manually purge inactive memory is pretty absurd to me. (I have a script I found on GitHub on my old G4) They did add an application called macpurge as of 10.7 that does this for you. Sadly no PPC support for 10.7

iTunes (this isn't specific to mac)

The way it handles multiple monitors is awful.

A pop up dialogue seems to appear at random on one of the screens with seemingly no relevance to what you're doing.

For example windows pops the dialogue box up over the application that its relevant to. Linux (at least on my box) Pops up in front of what ever you're currently working on. 

I don't like that by default you can't have a single window span multiple monitors. (you have to disable full screen improvements to do so)

The counter to this is they do multiple work spaces fairly well. Just only on 1 screen.

Also if you drop something on 1 desktop it will randomly appear on a different display (SO FRUSTRATING, Especially when it appears on a monitor behind an open window so you literally have no idea where it is)

This doesn't effect much but as the screen real-estate Nazi I am. There is 1 pixel between the top of a window and the menu bar.... 1 pixel -.- just put there to annoy OCD people like me Argh!

In general the animations take way to long. They really should shorten them all by like 3/4.

There is also some wired glass blurred effect to the menu bar. (especially when in safari) It almost resembles the vista glass effect. It looks awful.

Fortunately This exists and lets you make it solid. 

Some of these things I can fix if I could be bothered, Most Macs I use are not my own, So I wouldn't bother generally.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Haha I have a few other issues. Some of them are things that you can't really do much about.

like on the optical disc drive models, the eject button is right above the delete key (Seriously who ever designed this :@ - I love you) It's probably not an issue to people that only use their macs, But when using them on and off you never get used to the keyboard.

BUT WAIT!, Then that genius must have got his job back when they got rid of optical drives, He was all like "what else can I do to fuck with people" - I love you even more

Then he put the bloody power button there. So now instead of accidentally pressing eject. I PUT THE FREAKING COMPUTER TO SLEEP! 

The amount of times this happens to me is just "TOO DAMN HIGH". (I'm going to try and calm down now) - Happens to me as well, I never cared enough to get pissed off by it thoughXD It happens to me accidently when I go for pressing delete but the power button is right above it. 

I really don't like that the keyboards are missing the Home/End Print Screen buttons. 

I know there are short cuts but cmd+shift+3/4 or add a spacebar depending on what your capturing is a bit of a pain to remember (I got there eventually) - Meh, you'd agree with me here again but that's just maybe cause of getting used to it? I used to forget it all the time but now its stuck in my brain. Can't ever unlearn it lol

fn + </> isn't that big of a deal. then to select a line its shift+fn+</>. The worst thing is under Linux/BSD/Windows the ctrl key and the arrows move the cursor one word at a time. and ctrl + shift + </> highlight one word at a time. This is a pain because the ctrl key is where the fn key is on a mac.

That guy from the eject/power button debacle is back - "Hey lets mess with power users and screw with all the keyboard shortcuts for OSX". (It's funny because I complain but I'm totally the person who would do that xD)  - Ok I seriously love this hypothetical guy and you bringing him back into the discussionXD

I don't like that when I close a program it doesn't clear it from RAM (10.7 and before and this was more of an issue with older macs that don't have much memory) Having to manually purge inactive memory is pretty absurd to me. (I have a script I found on GitHub on my old G4) They did add an application called macpurge as of 10.7 that does this for you. Sadly no PPC support for 10.7 - That's the way modern OSs work though. Unused space is wasted space.

iTunes (this isn't specific to mac) - I don't get the hate on OSX although I do have an iPhone so I don't hate it as much. It sucks ass on Windows though

The way it handles multiple monitors is awful. 10.9 was supposed to vastly improve that experience to make it function like Windows. 

A pop up dialogue seems to appear at random on one of the screens with seemingly no relevance to what you're doing. - Wat.Wat. Wut?? I swear...I'm not messing or being biased but I've never had that problem

For example windows pops the dialogue box up over the application that its relevant to. Linux (at least on my box) Pops up in front of what ever you're currently working on. 

I don't like that by default you can't have a single window span multiple monitors. (you have to disable full screen improvements to do so)

The counter to this is they do multiple work spaces fairly well. Just only on 1 screen.

Also if you drop something on 1 desktop it will randomly appear on a different display (SO FRUSTRATING, Especially when it appears on a monitor behind an open window so you literally have no idea where it is)

This doesn't effect much but as the screen real-estate Nazi I am. There is 1 pixel between the top of a window and the menu bar.... 1 pixel -.- just put there to annoy OCD people like me Argh!

In general the animations take way to long. They really should shorten them all by like 3/4. - They need to let us modify animation speed. Good thing third party apps do exactly that ;)

There is also some wired glass blurred effect to the menu bar. (especially when in safari) It almost resembles the vista glass effect. It looks awful.

Fortunately This exists and lets you make it solid.  - I love that look:(

Some of these things I can fix if I could be bothered, Most Macs I use are not my own, So I wouldn't bother generally.

Its obvious that we have clearly different use cases therefore why we have a difference of opinion.

I never use two monitors nor do I use print all that much lol. I have a few dozen tabs spread out across multiple windows across Chrome and Safari, with occasional Terminal use to do something really quickly if I can't be bothered using the GUI to do so. OneNote, Pages and Safari are all open in one Virtual desktop whereas iTunes, Terminal Chrome and Reminders are open on desktop 2 etc...

I just guess I've never seen why Windows would be all that productive for me when OSX is literally perfect for me cause I'm used to everything with it. 

The few reasons I've even decided on making a gaming rig is well obviously:

1. For gaming

2.This is a forum for the nerds, geeks and tinkerers and I definitely am one (major reason why I'm switching back to Android after using an iphone 6 for two years)

3. I want to see how much Windows has progressed since the Windows Vista days 

4.I just wanna learn about new things in general and having a rig that allows expansion via multiple SSDs will allow me to triple boot OSX, Windows AND Linux as I see fit. 

like on the optical disc drive models, the eject button is right above the delete key (Seriously who ever designed this :@) It's probably not an issue to people that only use their macs, But when using them on and off you never get used to the keyboard.

BUT WAIT!, Then that genius must have got his job back when they got rid of optical drives, He was all like "what else can I do to fuck with people"

The amount of times this happens to me is just "TOO DAMN HIGH". (I'm going to try and calm down now)

I know there are short cuts but cmd+shift+3/4 or add a spacebar depending on what your capturing is a bit of a pain to remember (I got there eventually)

That guy from the eject/power button debacle is back - "Hey lets mess with power users and screw with all the keyboard shortcuts for OSX". (It's funny because I complain but I'm totally the person who would do that xD)

I don't like that when I close a program it doesn't clear it from RAM (10.7 and before and this was more of an issue with older macs that don't have much memory) Having to manually purge inactive memory is pretty absurd to me. (I have a script I found on GitHub on my old G4) They did add an application called macpurge as of 10.7 that does this for you. Sadly no PPC support for 10.7

iTunes (this isn't specific to mac)

The way it handles multiple monitors is awful.

A pop up dialogue seems to appear at random on one of the screens with seemingly no relevance to what you're doing.

In general the animations take way to long. They really should shorten them all by like 3/4.

Fortunately This exists and lets you make it solid. 

I COMPLETELY FORGOT!!!! DOWNLOAD THE APP CALLED SPECTACLE!! It makes window management on so quick and easy...

post-241649-0-73014900-1445907362_thumb.

Also install KeepingYouAwake if you use a Mac frequently and you need to force the screen awake

Use JumpCut to store everything you've recently copied over. Its a little icon in the menu bar that keeps a log of basically everything in your clipboard and then you can press anything on that drop down menu and BOOM! Immediately possible for you to paste something that you had previously copied.

-snip-

Oh man I feel like I need to name this Hypothetical man now, He will probably appear in past and future adventures. (Maybe Kevin?)

Also it's weird to see a mac user using chrome instead of safari, and I forgot what the forum day theme looks like.

Spoiler

Well I like OS X, although my heart goes to Linux. (I use Windows mainly for gaming)

"Maybe" because they aren't used to it.

Most softwares are made for Windows.

Besides, if you're a tweaker, you're offered very limited options.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I like OSX. I used to use OSX until my Mac died and I couldn't afford another Apple computer. Now I use Linux but it's customised to resemble OSX a little. It's a shame it's not available for generic pc's. That said, due to the dominance of DirectX Windows will probably always remain the primary gaming platform. Let's hope Vulkan changes that. I doubt it though.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Mainly how locked down it is, its the exact opposite to Linux, which is my preferred OS. (Plus I feel like they really need to re-image their software, the same old design is getting boring.) I don't hate it, but I don't strive to use it in my day-to-day life.

Lord of Helium.

I love OSX, I would be 100% OSX if I could

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't think there were any specific iterations of OS X I hated besides Yosemite which was a pain in the ass to use on a MacBook Air thanks to annoying finger gestures.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Because it's a shitty BSD distro that Apple tries to keep alive by fueling it with software that only runs on their BSD version?

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

I don't think there were any specific iterations of OS X I hated besides Yosemite which was a pain in the ass to use on a MacBook Air thanks to annoying finger gestures.

what annoying gestures?

I also dislike El Capitan's version of mission control; I don't like how it hides the desktops until you highlight that region.

Because it's a shitty BSD distro that Apple tries to keep alive by fueling it with software that only runs on their BSD version?

Because?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Because?

...they took something open-source and went out of their way to close it off as much as they could.

Do you really need more? You ask me why I dislike it, I answered. I do not hold any gripes to it on a technical level, that's fine, because they didn't even make that themselves.

I also don't really like the way it's marketed as being innovative, while they pretty much just added a bunch of images to something that already existed, but hey, w/e.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."