Bing is finally profitable for Microsoft!

AlTech

Finally, Microsoft's Bing search is profitable. It earned Microsoft $1 Billion (yes with a B) US dollars for the first fiscal quarter of 2016 according to the company's CFO Amy Hood.

Microsoft told it's executives earlier this year that they would try to make a "break even" or in other words "not lose money". This is probably the result of bing being implemented in more Microsoft products such as Windows 10, which currently has a user base of just over 110 million users (20% of the 1 Billion came from windows 10 devices)

And bing achieved all this with a 29% increase in revenue. 

OP = http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-bing-search-business-finally-is-profitable/

Personally, I'm really happy for Microsoft. I own a Windows Phone and whenever I search something I use Bing and I really like it. One of the biggest initial obstacles of going the Microsoft way for me was bing. However that was 2013-2014 and in 2015 I'm happy to use Bing and anything which relies on Bing

Leave a comment below! Which search engine do you use on your phone and which do you use on your desktop/laptop?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

My homepage on my laptop, desktop, netbook & fold PC is http://www.linustechtips.com/

I should really do that, LTT is the first website that I visit.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Finally, Microsoft's Bing search is profitable. It earned Microsoft $1 Billion (yes with a B) US dollars for the first fiscal quarter of 2016 according to the company's CFO Amy Hood.

Microsoft told it's executives earlier this year that they would try to make a "break even" or in other words "not lose money". This is probably the result of bing being implemented in more Microsoft products such as Windows 10, which currently has a user base of just over 110 million users (20% of the 1 Billion came from windows 10 devices)

And bing achieved all this with a 29% increase in revenue.

OP = http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-bing-search-business-finally-is-profitable/

Personally, I'm really happy for Microsoft. I own a Windows Phone and whenever I search something I use Bing and I really like it. One of the biggest initial obstacles of going the Microsoft way for me was bing. However that was 2013-2014 and in 2015 I'm happy to use Bing and anything which relies on Bing

Leave a comment below! Which search engine do you use on your phone and which do you use on your desktop/laptop?

When I was using Bing the other day, I found that Microsoft blocks a lot of results. Like try searching for a windows 10 key on Bing. It's all ads for buying a product key.

Very bad news. This shows that forcing their services down the throat of customers is actually a viable business strategy and will most likely result in them doing it even more.

It was a terrible thing for the consumers when Google did it with Google+ (forcing people who used YouTube to sign in to Google+) and it's a terrible thing for consumers when Microsoft does it with Bing (forcing people who use Windows to use Bing).

Very bad news. This shows that forcing their services down the throat of customers is actually a viable business strategy and will most likely result in them doing it even more.

It was a terrible thing for the consumers when Google did it with Google+ (forcing people who used YouTube to sign in to Google+) and it's a terrible thing for consumers when Microsoft does it with Bing (forcing people who use Windows to use Bing).

Presumably they won't because there has to be someone at Microsoft with common sense, but imagine if Microsoft did something like forcing you to type in www.google.com and not allowing it as the default search engine or homepage on any Windows browser...

peterino55, on 23 Oct 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

When I was using Bing the other day, I found that Microsoft blocks a lot of results. Like try searching for a windows 10 key on Bing. It's all ads for buying a product key.

surely... you're... not... being... real...

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Nobody is "forcing" you to use it. You can always change it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Presumably they won't because there has to be someone at Microsoft with common sense, but imagine if Microsoft did something like forcing you to type in www.google.com and not allowing it as the default search engine or homepage on any Windows browser...

That's what you get with proprietary software. "You must use this the way we tell you to". It just takes time for them to get that way. They do it slowly, so you don't notice.

And this makes me sad. The thought that there are people out there actually using bing. Ugh.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

How are they forcing me to use bing ??? or forcing customers ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Nobody is "forcing" you to use it. You can always change it.

Nope, there is no option to change the search provider in the start menu in Windows, which by default will send your searches to Bing.com.

Some people say that you can change search provider in Microsoft Edge but like I said in this thread, the option is grayed out for me. A simple Google search will show that a lot of people are having the exact same issue as I do.

That's what you get with proprietary software. "You must use this the way we tell you to". It just takes time for them to get that way. They do it slowly, so you don't notice.

And this makes me sad. The thought that there are people out there actually using bing. Ugh.

Most people who use windows phone use bing and Cortana gets all the information from bing!  :)

You see! Bing is everywhere! MUHAHAHAHA :D

1. How are they forcing customers ?

2. Bing isn't that bad, use it for a month and then compare it to google ( I said month so it logarithms learn/adapt ).

3. Why are you disgusted when people use bing ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Nope, there is no option to change the search provider in the start menu in Windows, which by default will send your searches to Bing.com.

Some people say that you can change search provider in Microsoft Edge but like I said in this thread, the option is grayed out for me. A simple Google search will show that a lot of people are having the exact same issue as I do.

xD it's not grayed out you just don't know how to use it. If you clicked "learn more" you may have learned how to use it but who actually clicks those thing ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Navigate to www.google.com before going to add the search provider ;)

Who needs a search engine as their home page?

171368c0712d5a1940fc2aaf84151924.gif

Yo I wanna know what memes showed up!

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

This is good, I like Bing and I have it as my start page. Not because I search for something immediately when getting online but because it shows a good spread of news each day. I also prefer Bing as my search engine because the image search is better imo and I do more image searches than I do for anything else and the standard search is good enough for most things.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

snip

beautiful!

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Most people who use windows phone use bing and Cortana gets all the information from bing!  :)

You see! Bing is everywhere! MUHAHAHAHA :D

1. Yet.

1. How are they forcing customers ?

2. Bing isn't that bad, use it for a month and then compare it to google ( I said month so it logarithms learn/adapt ).

3. Why are you disgusted when people use bing ?

2. Meh.

3. Meh.

I'll admit, it's just an excuse to hate on Microsoft. Also because I don't trust them to not tamper with search results. They might not be forcing people to use bing YET, but it will probably happen at some point. The way companies are beginning to work is "if you want to use our shit, you have to do it the way we say, so we can further profit off of you". Just give it time.

Also because I HATE the bing button on my Windows Phone. It's the most sensitive button on there, and if you so much as look at it, bing will open up and interrupt whatever it was you were doing. And you can't turn that button off.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

First you have to be on google.com. Only then it lets you to change it. Otherwise it stays grey. Have you tried that?

And It's stupid, even tech savvy people are having problems with it, what regular people should do?

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

First you have to be on google.com. Only then it lets you to change it. Otherwise it stays grey. Have you tried that?

And It's stupid, even tech savvy people are having problems with it, what regular people should do?

What regular people should do:

Learn how to use Bing and Edge  while not complaining  :)

-bing is am makes money-

HOW?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

surely... you're... not... being... real...

Well they would definitely block a search if you were trying to find a torrent of windows 10.