Physx on an AMD card not cpu?

MrMDAN47
Go to solution Solved by Atmos,

Physx is a nvidia feature, because they encorperate the capacity to drive it on their gpus, instead of cpus. If you don't have a nvidia gpu, then physx will always default to the cpu, since about 2014 there is no way to change this.

You used to be able to run a physx processor in your system, I.E. a low power nvidia card, and still use an AMD card for your main rendering, but in mid 2014 nvidia changed their drivers to literally abort whenever they detect an instance of catalyst in the background. Thanks nvidia for making people who would have bought your stuff, now not buy it at all.

that's aside the point though. No you cannot hack drivers to run physx on an amd card, it would brick your card, because that's all done in bios, not drivers more or less. the support for physx calc comes in on the actual hardware, because that's how nvidia like doing things. 

Hey LTT, I know this question has been asked a million times already but I wanted to know if there is anything new and I wanted the up to date answer.  So I know that Physx is built to run on nvidia cards only, and when you run it with an AMD card it only runs on the CPU, Thus killing your frames...  

I was wondering if there was any drivers, or software, or a version of Physx, that has come out that allows Physx to run from an AMD card and NOT the CPU.  Something that tricks Physx into thinking that the GPU it is running off of is a compatible one.  I am asking this for games like Borderlands 2, Metro Last Light, and others that don't come to mind instantly.

Oh and by the way when someone else looks at this post I want them to be well informed.  So please say something helpful.

Physx is a nvidia feature, because they encorperate the capacity to drive it on their gpus, instead of cpus. If you don't have a nvidia gpu, then physx will always default to the cpu, since about 2014 there is no way to change this.

You used to be able to run a physx processor in your system, I.E. a low power nvidia card, and still use an AMD card for your main rendering, but in mid 2014 nvidia changed their drivers to literally abort whenever they detect an instance of catalyst in the background. Thanks nvidia for making people who would have bought your stuff, now not buy it at all.

that's aside the point though. No you cannot hack drivers to run physx on an amd card, it would brick your card, because that's all done in bios, not drivers more or less. the support for physx calc comes in on the actual hardware, because that's how nvidia like doing things. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

It is a physical chip (or at least used to be and now may be built into the gpu, not sure)

You also used to be able to buy just a physX card to compliment your GPU waaay back in the day. Sadly at this time there is no way to run hardware accelerated physX with AMD cards.

When in doubt, re-format.

IIRC Nvidia cards have special shit in em that give them the capability to do PhysX shit

It's called coding for what you have. AMD and Nvidia cards may produce the same end result, but do it in different ways. What works on one doesn't necessarily mean it'll work 1:1 with the other.

It's called coding for what you have. AMD and Nvidia cards may produce the same end result, but do it in different ways. What works on one doesn't necessarily mean it'll work 1:1 with the other.

well i wasn't too far off

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Ah..

Back in the days of AGEIA / NovodeX, you could, but when nVidia decided to make it "on the GPU" technology, it has been a "feature" of nVidia cards only.

...So if you are just going to post something like "nope" please go away, those type of replies are just uneducated and barbaric, I want inelegant answers only please.

You might want to re-read that last bit before one of the hundreds of potential jokes start showing up in rapid succession

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You might want to re-read that last bit before one of the hundreds of potential jokes start showing up in rapid succession

FUDGE! thanks.

Thanks for the answer.  That really sucks that it is so deep as BIOS, It would be easier just to get an nvidia card if I have to go that far to get it to work.

FUDGE! thanks.

That's still not quite how I would put it... pretty sure "nope" is actually correct, so not uneducated, and is hardly "barbaric"... I would say something like "unhelpful", but to each their own :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Thanks for the answer.  That really sucks that it is so deep as BIOS, It would be easier just to get an nvidia card if I have to go that far to get it to work.

Virtually no games use physx as a real big feature. Don't bank an entire purchase solely on that. Just get the more powerful  card for your budget, if it nvidia awesome, if its amd, awesome.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Thanks for the answer. That really sucks that it is so deep as BIOS, It would be easier just to get an nvidia card if I have to go that far to get it to work.

It's not BIOS, IIRC it's because PhysX is built for CUDA which is obviously only in Nvidia tech.

Shame they cut being able to use both together, but weren't there a few issues with doing that? Nothing they couldn't fix, probably, but still

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

Virtually no games use physx as a real big feature. Don't bank an entire purchase solely on that. Just get the more powerful  card for your budget, if it nvidia awesome, if its amd, awesome.

True. While I love the various nvidia features out there (like physx) I don't know of any game that requires them - it would be suicidal to make a major game for just one brand of cards; you'd lose half the market.  The very fact that games with physx allow it to be turned off and are able to be run on AMD cards at all are proof of this.  I know in Borderlands, if you turn physx on you can't stand on flapping tarps since they can tear and blow in the wind, where as with it off you can walk on them, but that's the most significant difference ever I'm aware of.  Usually it is included simply for visual effect.

It's not BIOS, IIRC it's because PhysX is built for CUDA which is obviously only in Nvidia tech.

Shame they cut being able to use both together, but weren't there a few issues with doing that? Nothing they couldn't fix, probably, but still

Yes, issues like fewer people buying high end nvidia cards :P

I was wondering if there was any drivers, or software, or a version of Physx, that has come out that allows Physx to run from an AMD card and NOT the CPU.

no!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Yes, issues like fewer people buying high end nvidia cards :P

Well not entirely. If people are running hybrid PhysX and are having issues that are pretty breaking it'll give the tech (And by extension Nvidia) a bad rep

IMO PhysX is pretty pointless, not a feature that should tip the scales on a purchase, so few games actually support it and how good it looks is hit and miss (Planetside when it supported it looked damn good with the sparks)

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

Oh I wasn't going to, if anything I'm going to buy another r9 290 and crossfire them. And deal with the nvidia only stuff I'm locked out of.  I was just saying if it's that hard to try to get Physx to work on AMD then I'll just forget it.

Well thanks everyone for your replies!  I'll go and overclock my 8350 now...