Is the Apple iPad Pro even worth it?

VAkena

If you've had a look at the Apple iPad Pro, do you honestly think it's worth the price? The 32GB model starts at $799 (all prices in US), add in the 'Pencil' for $99 and the Smart Keyboard for $169 and all this amounts to $1, 067 for the base model.

OF COURSE not

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I don't think anyone thinks this. Or anyone on here, at least. For that price, you could buy much more useful stuff, like high(ish) tier convertibles that feature a proper OS that you can do stuff with. 

I don't think anyone thinks this. Or anyone on here, at least. For that price, you could buy much more useful stuff, like high(ish) tier convertibles that feature a proper OS that you can do stuff with. 

Or if you really wanted a portable machine, you could buy a Surface Pro 3 (or 4) and simply boot Mac OS X El Capitan on it. You'll still get better performance than you would've with the iPad Pro.

Depends on how apps make use of it.

The original iPad was once called an oversized iPhone and it was nothing special. It wasn't until app developers transformed the way we interact with content that truly made the iPad unique. Yes, the iPad Pro isn't the most powerful thing in the world but it's not meant to replace your desktop machine or a rendering powerhouse. Apple already has an iMac and Mac Pro for those uses. What Apple (with devs) is trying to do here is rethink how we do things. Will it find success? Maybe. That's why I voted it depends.

Or if you really wanted a portable machine, you could buy a Surface Pro 3 (or 4) and simply boot Mac OS X El Capitan on it. You'll still get better performance than you would've with the iPad Pro.

Also, the ability to use full programs. None of that ported to mobile BS such as Adobe Photoshop.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I think the Surface Series is much better

Is Microsoft still pushing the surface stuff into an identity crisis between a tablet and a laptop? Imo, that's one of the reason why it hasn't taken off. The app language to keep it friendly to touch while also being precise with a mouse actually hinders it. The saying goes, a jack of all trades but a master of none? Until app developers can create a competent experience than it doesn't matter how powerful the hardware is if you can't leverage it.

It depends on what you'd want to use it for. It'll never be a video editing powerhouse, but it may turn out to be a really good option for note taking and other such things, depending on how well apps make use of it.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Is Microsoft still pushing the surface stuff into an identity crisis between a tablet and a laptop? Imo, that's one of the reason why it hasn't taken off. The app language to keep it friendly to touch while also being precise with a mouse actually hinders it. The saying goes, a jack of all trades but a master of none? Until app developers can create a competent experience than it doesn't matter how powerful the hardware is if you can't leverage it.

It's also important to note that in light of the iPad sales decreasing, the Surface line has been growing (yielding large amounts of profit). The point you bring across comes from the original product launch - when no one understood what the product was, what it was meant to be and who it was designed for. In 2015, OEMs are chasing this concept - even Apple. The Surface HAS an identity. 

if it ran os x and not ios, then maybe, but for a 13 inch ios tablet, imho i would say no 

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

I did have an Internship at Microsoft Singapore for a few weeks, and helped work on an advertisement campaign, and they did try seem to promote it in that way (the Jack of all trades)

I think it depends on how heavily integrated into the apple ecosystem you are. If you only have iDevices and need a 2 in 1, then it makes decent sense, although personally I think it's ridiculous because it uses iOS and not OSX, which is the OS needed to challenge the surface pro 4. If it did use OSX, then I'd say it makes a lot more sense, but as it's iOS and is limited more, it is less useful and is now just a tool for apple fanboys.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I would say no. However, as Thorium19 said, if you are invested in the Apple ecosystem deeply already, and you are satisfied with the Apps of iOS, then it could be a choice.

However, if you seek to use full version of programs in terms of features and abilities, and really want a PC where you can run your Chrome, Firefox, and so on, or you are into Windows ecosystem, then the Surface line device is the way to go, especially the Surface Pro 4 or the Surface Book, if you seek the best pen experience available so far (we have to see Apple's, but it doesn't look like it has palm rejection)

It honestly depends on the user, their needs, their existing equiptment, and what software they need

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Decent hardware, but held back by the OS. Really, what are yoing to use a 1000$ tablet for when it has iOS? The Surface Pro has Windows, meaning it can actually use desktop programs.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Decent hardware, but held back by the OS. Really, what are yoing to use a 1000$ tablet for when it has iOS? The Surface Pro has Windows, meaning it can actually use desktop programs.

Depends what you need, if the software for your company, design work, browsing whatever works on iOS you dont need to be bogged down messing around with full windows 

when an iPad is much simpler and many companies have bespoke software

Adobe are also bringing a full iOS suite out too and we already have full office,etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Depends what you need, if the software for your company, design work, browsing whatever works on iOS you dont need to be bogged down messing around with full windows 

when an iPad is much simpler and many companies have bespoke software

Adobe are also bringing a full iOS suite out too and we already have full office,etc

So some apps might actually be ported, but just thinking about the mass of software avaliable on MacOS X and Windows is just insane. Maybe if Apple comes up with a  Bootcamp for iOS?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

So some apps might actually be ported, but just thinking about the mass of software avaliable on MacOS X and Windows is just insane. Maybe if Apple comes up with a  Bootcamp for iOS?

Wont work because its ARM - but you can run parallels and run OSX and Windows on the iPad remotely

but not everyone NEEDS all that stuff, hell the only software on my PC is Office, Adobe suite, and Steam games, an iPad can pretty much do all those tasks

Example: A photographer

Lightroom app - to edit photos

Email - to communicate with clients

sketching - draw out plans for a shoot / storyboard

Office - for invoices, spreadsheets

Does he need all those OSX and windows programs? no, and the iPad Pro is not designed to REPLACE the computer - when he is out and about, he has the iPad pro, when he gets home, he can fire up his Macbook/iMac/PC - and finish the big jobs

Wont work because its ARM - but you can run parallels and run OSX and Windows on the iPad remotely

but not everyone NEEDS all that stuff, hell the only software on my PC is Office, Adobe suite, and Steam games, an iPad can pretty much do all those tasks

Example: A photographer

Lightroom app - to edit photos

Email - to communicate with clients

sketching - draw out plans for a shoot / storyboard

Office - for invoices, spreadsheets

Does he need all those OSX and windows programs? no, and the iPad Pro is not designed to REPLACE the computer - when he is out and about, he has the iPad pro, when he gets home, he can fire up his Macbook/iMac/PC - and finish the big jobs

Okay, let's assume some people will be happy just with that. 

How does the Pro justify the insane price tag against the regular iPads? Those are not known as exactly sluggish as well. In fact, 1500 $ gets you a nice Ultrabook, which is quite portable, thin and just as capable. 

The device itself is really nice, but I just don't see much of a justification for it. 

Spoiler

Okay, let's assume some people will be happy just with that. 

How does the Pro justify the insane price tag against the regular iPads? Those are not known as exactly sluggish as well. In fact, 1500 $ gets you a nice Ultrabook, which is quite portable, thin and just as capable. 

The device itself is really nice, but I just don't see much of a justification for it. 

its hellishly more powerful, it has the pencil, it has a proper keyboard option, it has a bigger and more amazing display

An ultrabook is not quite a replacement, since that would just be a macbook air etc, its a different product catagory