Exploding Corsair PSUs?

BeanMachine

Recently alot of posts and videos of exploding corsair power supplies have been floating around, since I have a corsair PSU and nothing has happened in tis life time yet, I jsut wanted to ask are the rumors really true that corsair shouldnt be trusted?

A mix between the red and the green team

depends... which PSU?

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Corsair CX series.

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @4.3 GHz; Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus; Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate; RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Black; GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB; Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Window; SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and 500GB; HDD: WD Blue 1TB; PSU: EVGA 750W P2

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 29UM57; Headset: HyperX Cloud II; Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Mechanical; Mouse: Zowie EC2-A

It's not corsair, it's just certain models, particularly the CX

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

if its a corsair cx/builder series with a high endish rig, it might

if its with a low end pc, then not.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Recently alot of posts and videos of exploding corsair power supplies have been floating around, since I have a corsair PSU and nothing has happened in tis life time yet, I jsut wanted to ask are the rumors really true that corsair shouldnt be trusted?

Corsair has lots of PSUs that are excellent. The CX are the ones that "explode" (not saying it doesn't happen but it's a bit exaggerated how often it happens) and should be avoided. The RMi, AX/i, HX, etc are very good. Check out the PSU whitelist in my sig for the good ones.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Kinda worried now. Oh well. If my system blows up it'll make for a good video.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I've got a CX600M in my rig, it's served me just fine, though I would like to replace it with something a bit... better? some time down the road.

Preferably something fully modular that I can get cablemod cables for.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

well now im scared i have a CX600 :o

None of their psus are so bad that exploding would be significant worry. Some of their psus are below recommending most of the time like their VS series which really should just be delegated to low power systems but their CX series is okay and many other series are good albeit often overpriced. 

The CX series is probably the origin of this mantra with various incidents of them 'exploding' due to the sheer number of the units sold.

The whole 'exploding' thing seems to be a recent fad like the rush of 'EVGA psus are awesome' because of the G2 series despite their lower end psus being good but not anywhere as great. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Kinda worried now. Oh well. If my system blows up it'll make for a good video.

@TheSLSAMG had a 7770 catch on fire. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Corsair has lots of PSUs that are excellent. The CX are the ones that "explode" (not saying it doesn't happen but it's a bit exaggerated how often it happens) and should be avoided. The RMi, AX/i, HX, etc are very good. Check out the PSU whitelist in my sig for the good ones.

since you have that huge whitelist of PSUs whats the cheapest 650W PSU you would recommend?

since you have that huge whitelist of PSUs whats the cheapest 650W PSU you would recommend?

Well what are you powering, may I ask?

Chances are you don't need 650W.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

They don't literally explode. But there has been a huge amount of complaints about the CX series of PSUs lately, many of them backed up with good data and evidences.

If the PSU is in a system which is not consuming that much power, it should be fine. If the CX PSU you have was bought a long time ago it's likely that it was before the manufacturer started to cheap out on the units, so should be fine too.

I don't like taking chances with PSUs, as I've seen the black smoke, the flames and the melting cables before. Both times I was right there besides the systems, and I was able to pull the cord right away and suffocate the fire. But I cannot even start to imagine what would happen if I wasn't around those times, frankly not everyone has the same guts as Austin Evans to get over loosing a home and looking at the bright side of things while the flames are still taking the place.

@TheSLSAMG had a 7770 catch on fire. :P

I had a friend that had an HDD catch fire during a LAN party. That was interesting. Thankfully he got the window seat and it was winter.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Well what are you powering, may I ask?

Chances are you don't need 650W.

right now a fx8320 @ 4GHz one gigabyte gtx 960 but im getting another one for SLI.

right now a fx8320 @ 4GHz one gigabyte gtx 960 but im getting another one for SLI.

A decent 600w should already be plenty for that. 

What's your current psu?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They don't literally explode. But there has been a huge amount of complaints about the CX series of PSUs lately, many of them backed up with good data and evidences.

If the PSU is in a system which is not consuming that much power, it should be fine. If the CX PSU you have was bought a long time ago it's likely that it was before the manufacturer started to cheap out on the units, so should be fine too.

I don't like taking chances with PSUs, as I've seen the black smoke, the flames and the melting cables before. Both times I was right there besides the systems, and I was able to pull the cord right away and suffocate the fire. But I cannot even start to imagine what would happen if I wasn't around those times, frankly not everyone has the same guts as Austin Evans to get over loosing a home and looking at the bright side of things while the flames are still taking the place.

ok, that sounds bad im getting another PSU before I go into SLI

Ah, OK. Weird combo of parts but anyways.

EVGA's G2/GS of that wattage are good as is the EVGA B2.

What's your current psu?

currently I have a cx600 which is the part thats scaring me

EVGA's G2/GS of that wattage are good as is the EVGA B2.

those are all quite expensive but I guess its worth replacing my cx600 if I want something non explosive

Dude I LIVE BY your PSU whitelist

Seriously I use it all the time

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

Dude I LIVE BY your PSU whitelist

Seriously I use it all the time

It has a cult following at this point :P

those are all quite expensive but I guess its worth replacing my cx600 if I want something non explosive

Antec High Current Gamer, perhaps?

currently I have a cx600 which is the part thats scaring me

It should be fine for a 960 sli.