Better right now for gaming! W8.1 or W10? (maybe 7?!)

peewee

hi guys, im gonna do a format of my system but i want some opinions of u lads!

Vote up 

imo 8.1.

It's newer than 7, so it has some added features, but it doesn't have nearly the lack of privacy of 10.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

hi guys, im gonna do a format of my system but i want some opinions of u lads!

Vote up 

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

It depends....do you value privacy in some measure? If not, go with Win10. If you do, go with Win7.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I would go with the OS your prefer out of 7 and 8.1, then when you are ready, upgrade to 10.

There is basically no difference in performance, you could go with XP x64 edition or Vista if you wanted too!

Personal preference.  I'd go with Windows 7 or 10 because 8.1 looks like shit.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

10 is the way

but if you are scared and think your life isin't allredy on the internet (I mean. who's really private nowadays if you have a facebook account...)  go with 8.1

but 10 is really better

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I really like how 10 looks

even though some games you might need to tweak some stuff to get running, there are lots of performance improvements

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

LINUX!

Ever heard of the Vulcan API?

Even Valve is ditching DX12

Not really much of a difference for now (not all games are compatible with DX12).

But I still go with Windows 10, my second choice is Windows 8.1 (use classic start if you hate the start menu).

Some games run much better in Windows 10.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Windows 10, I had 8.1 and 10 is a definite improvement.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Make sure you do a clean Win 10 install if you upgrade. The first upgrade is obviously not a clean install. You reinstall after you upgrade. 

At the moment all games I've seen compared across operating systems have performed approximately the same from Windows 7–10. Usually if there's a difference in the framerate, it's in the low single digits. Naturally Windows 10 will be preferred for games that take advantage of DirectX 12.

If the question is actually about whether Windows 10 is a safe upgrade for a gamer, my own experience is that it is.

Windows 10 has a slight edge.

LINUX!

Ever heard of the Vulcan API?

Even Valve is ditching DX12

Vulkan will work on windows too.

Doesn't matter, just get windows 10, was free anyway.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

If you run dual graphics cards in sli then 8 but if you dont then 10.  Im still waiting till they remove head from ass so i can start using 10.  Last I heard people are still having problems with sli setups unless they have addressed that recently which I haven't seen yet.   

i7 5820k, Asus Deluxe x99 3.1 board, 2 Strix980tis Sli, Intel 480gb SSD, 4T WD Black, Asus PG278Q, Acer xb271hu, UpDesk!