Origin of the name "Pentium"

I always wondered where Intel got the name Pentium for their CPUs, and I just figured it out! I was on the page of the user @Kirky2k15, whose listed occupation is "Element 115 miner," which happens to be the element with the temporary name Ununpentium, the fifth one(originally; some are named now) with that type of name, and sure enough, the first Pentium was Intel's fifth generation of x86 processors. I don't know why I never thought of it before; I mean, it's kinda obvious, Pentium, penta-, 5. Duh. xD

Edit: Mods, @Godlygamer23 or someone else, is this the correct subforum for something like this? It has some tie-ins to technology since this revolves around CPU naming schemes, but it doesn't itself relate directly to it. Thank you!

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

k

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

Pentium sounds like lithium which is found on the periodic table, the periodic table has square which has 4 sides, sides, what else has sides, Egypt, Egypt is in Africa, what origionanted from Africa, ebola, what sounds like ebola, the river apilachicola river, river sounds like beiber, beiber is from Canada, can a da is 3 words

intel is loominarty comfirnemd /_\

Pentium sounds like lithium which is found on the periodic table, the periodic table has square which has 4 sides, sides, what else has sides, Egypt, Egypt is in Africa, what origionanted from Africa, ebola, what sounds like ebola, the river apilachicola river, river sounds like beiber, beiber is from Canada, can a da is 3 words

intel is loominarty comfirnemd /_\

How long did it take you to come up with that?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

2-3 minutes

Guy, I think you may be approaching @Trik'stari in your conspiracy skillz. :P

The name Pentium is originally derived from the Greek word pente (πέντε), meaning "five" (as the original Pentium processors used Intel's fifth-generation microarchitecture, the P5), and the Latin ending -ium.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

the Pentium would have been the i586, but they went with Pentium because at the time it sounded cooler (I don't think it did.) They weren't that bad until the Pentium 4 came along and ruined the name for them for all eternity. The P4 was so bad that they went back to the Pentium III for the Core architecture. Yes... The first Core Duos were basically souped-up, dual-core Pentium IIIs. So now the Pentium chips have been moved to the low-end consumer side.

the Pentium would have been the i586, but they went with Pentium because at the time it sounded cooler (I don't think it did.) They weren't that bad until the Pentium 4 came along and ruined the name for them for all eternity. The P4 was so bad that they went back to the Pentium III for the Core architecture. Yes... The first Core Duos were basically souped-up, dual-core Pentium IIIs. So now the Pentium chips have been moved to the low-end consumer side.

P4 was actually pretty fast.. as long as you dont touch floating point.

i have benchmarked two P4 machines: one 32bit and one 64bit.

the 64bit is pretty fast inteeer wise, and floating point is powerpc 200MHz slow.

the 32bit is still somewhat decent integer wise, and.. crashes when i try to benchmark floating point...

I always wondered where Intel got the name Pentium for their CPUs, and I just figured it out! I was on the page of the user @Kirky2k15, whose listed occupation is "Element 115 miner," which happens to be the element with the temporary name Ununpentium, the fifth one(originally; some are named now) with that type of name, and sure enough, the first Pentium was Intel's fifth generation of x86 processors. I don't know why I never thought of it before; I mean, it's kinda obvious, Pentium, penta-, 5. Duh. xD

Why were you on my page man, I'm paranoid BTW

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

2nd time I've seen this response to something today? Are people actively turning into snakes?

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

P4 was actually pretty fast.. as long as you dont touch floating point.

i have benchmarked two P4 machines: one 32bit and one 64bit.

the 64bit is pretty fast inteeer wise, and floating point is powerpc 200MHz slow.

the 32bit is still somewhat decent integer wise, and.. crashes when i try to benchmark floating point...

But, back then for the price, it was an absolute and complete turd. People who had Athlon X2s at the time get mad kudos, because back then, it was essentially the godsend masterrace processor. That was the time in history when AMD legitimately had the faster processor, and it should have made them a huge pile of money to build an empire on, but Intel ended up shafting their benchmarking utilities to make the P4 look faster. That's why everyone who had a Netburst P4 from back then got $15 last year. :D

Wendell talked about this.

But, back then for the price, it was an absolute and complete turd. People who had Athlon X2s at the time get mad kudos, because back then, it was essentially the godsend masterrace processor. That was the time in history when AMD legitimately had the faster processor, and it should have made them a huge pile of money to build an empire on, but Intel ended up shafting their benchmarking utilities to make the P4 look faster. That's why everyone who had a Netburst P4 from back then got $15 last year. :D

Wendell talked about this.

i've compared both of them to my athlon 64.

the 64bit's integer performance is mindblowingly faster, the 32bit can *keep up*

the athlon 64's floating point performance... is about 4-5 times that of the 64bit P4

and well.. we kinda use FLOPs for most things today.

i've compared both of them to my athlon 64.

the 64bit's integer performance is mindblowingly faster, the 32bit can *keep up*

the athlon 64's floating point performance... is about 4-5 times that of the 64bit P4

and well.. we kinda use FLOPs for most things today.

This is the pitfall that AMD is ironically in today with Bulldozer. Integer performance is a moot point anywhere except servers.

Why were you on my page man, I'm paranoid BTW

I saw you post something on the forum, I saw your avatar, it looked cool, I went to your page, and I went off on a tangent. It happens a lot.

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

The name Pentium is originally derived from the Greek word pente (πέντε), meaning "five" (as the original Pentium processors used Intel's fifth-generation microarchitecture, the P5), and the Latin ending -ium.

Yeah, that makes sense, but what I was noting was a similarity between an element on the periodic table and the name of a CPU. The fact that they are similar made me realize where Intel got the name Pentium in the first place, which is something I've wondered for a long time, and that realization is what I wanted to share on this forum! :D