What are the diffrences between 1440p vs 1080p in gaming

thaamazingguy

i want to know whisch one of these is better for me i never used a 1440p display before and want to know how it is better or worse than 1080p for gaming for enjoyment in gaming?

exp question; am i going to be able to see more of the enviorment if i buy 1440p or am i going the see the same enviorment but for example the tree is bigger to cover up the extra pixels? 

i want to know whisch one of these is better for me i never used a 1440p display before and want to know how it is better or worse than 1080p for gaming for enjoyment in gaming?

exp question; am i going to be able to see more of the enviorment if i buy 1440p or am i going the see the same enviorment but for example the tree is bigger to cover up the extra pixels?

1440p simply means more pixel. depending on the size of the monitor it can make things sharper. also in higher resolution it can increase the work area. yes the difference is quite noticable in something like a 27 inch screen. if its 24 inches get atleast 1920 x 1200. anything below 23 inches 1080 p is fine.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

im going to use a GTX 780 HoF and at least overclocking it to 1.2Ghz should i go for 1080p(120hz) or 1440p(İps)?

thx for all the help

if you have the option to get a 1440p display, get one, you can either have a larger display with the same ppi as a 1080p display, or you can have a same size display with higher ppi than a 1080p giving you a better image so you don't have to put on 4x msaa and can keep it at 2x msaa and still have higher quality, and the 780 can definitely handle.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

780 should run a single 1440p monitor just fine, especially in gaming.

In 1440p, you have more work space on a monitor. 27 1080p vs 27" 1440p, there is a huge difference in screen real estate.

Also, you generally can use less anti-aliasing when at 1440p

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

The difference is in textures more as a person with 1440p can say that it does  look sharper, but just having a high end IPS screen is where more of difference is. The witcher 2 is a good example of the game looking nicer as close up textures of say a face look much more vivid compared to 1080p and seem just a bit more realistic.

780 should run a single 1440p monitor just fine, especially in gaming.

In 1440p, you have more work space on a monitor. 27 1080p vs 27" 1440p, there is a huge difference in screen real estate.

Also, you generally can use less anti-aliasing when at 1440p

that isn't really true even at 4k you need AA

Higher ppi = sharper images.  27" 1440p = something like 110 ppi, 24" 1080p = about 90 something ppi.  A 27" 1440p is nearly the same pixel density as a 20" 1080p.

Edit:  Exact values: 24" 1080p = 91.8 ppi

27" 1080p = 81.6 ppi

27" 1440p = 108.8 ppi

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

24inch 1200p :D

That's probably somewhere around 95 ppi.

Edit: 94.3 to be exact :)

I would not recommend More than 23 inch for gaming however.

Not at 1080p at least. You could go as high as 40" if it's a 4k display.

Not at 1080p at least. You could go as high as 40" if it's a 4k display.

It's not that handy of you plan on gaming a lot.

For  gaming around 21-24 is best. Then you can quickly see for example the minimap in your game. If the screen is too big you may not notice some things happening on it.

This does happen to me in portrait eyefinity but that's about a 50" screen. This is all dependent on how far from the screen you are. My desk is really deep so I would be able to see a 40" 4k display easily.

It's not that handy of you plan on gaming a lot.

For  gaming around 21-24 is best. Then you can quickly see for example the minimap in your game. If the screen is too big you may not notice some things happening on it.

i dont think that will be too much of a cockblock for me to not see the minimap

i dont think that will be too much of a cockblock for me to not see the minimap

It's an example dude. It's just a known thing. Having a huge screen is not good for gaming. It might be beautiful but if you want to game then a 21-24" screen is better.

It's an example dude. It's just a known thing. Having a huge screen is not good for gaming. It might be beautiful but if you want to game then a 21-24" screen is better.

i use to play ona 32'' or 36'' TV and i was having no problems at all... and pls stop posting on this topic

I guess it would be ok if you make sure your desk is deep, so the monitors is not too close to you.