product id not available (windows 7)

Sharif

I get this error in CMD when i try to to start and i type ""net start sppsvc"""

The Software Protection service is starting.
The Software Protection service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

once i get Software Protection running again, i am sure i wont have problems installing the updates for windows 

can somebody please help please  :mellow:

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Are you running cmd as an admin?

yes i am

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Some options:

1 - Try a system restore to a few days ago...

2 - In my case the problem was simply that permissions for sppsvc.exe had been modified to deny access from NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE. This service is by default run with NETWORK SERVICE and it can't be run with for example Local System account. So I restored permissions for the file and ran the service with NETWORK SERVICE.

3 - run, in an elevated command prompt, "sfc /scannow"

4 - Check c:\windows\softwaredistribution - make sure it has not been renamed. One thing to "reset" the system is this. In services, stop Windows Update and BITS. Keep an eye on them, they are set to auto restart a few times. Then delete the "softwaredistribution" directory under the windows dir. If you cannot delete it, check the services again, they restarted. If both are stopped you can delete it. Once delete reboot. Then go back in and try Windows Updates again.

Some "official" blurb:

The official word that I got from Microsoft support;

"Windows detected that one or more of it's protected system file(s) has been modified (rewritten, replaced or become corrupt) and that when Windows tried to repair the files, it failed. These files can no longer be trusted because they have been modified in some way. Or in other words, the files are Non-Genuine."

Basically something "you" did messed it up. Most of the articles I saw had the user eventually formating and re-installing as even the OS gets marked as not genuin...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Some options:

1 - Try a system restore to a few days ago...

2 - In my case the problem was simply that permissions for sppsvc.exe had been modified to deny access from NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE. This service is by default run with NETWORK SERVICE and it can't be run with for example Local System account. So I restored permissions for the file and ran the service with NETWORK SERVICE.

3 - run, in an elevated command prompt, "sfc /scannow"

4 - Check c:\windows\softwaredistribution - make sure it has not been renamed. One thing to "reset" the system is this. In services, stop Windows Update and BITS. Keep an eye on them, they are set to auto restart a few times. Then delete the "softwaredistribution" directory under the windows dir. If you cannot delete it, check the services again, they restarted. If both are stopped you can delete it. Once delete reboot. Then go back in and try Windows Updates again.

Some "official" blurb:

The official word that I got from Microsoft support;

"Windows detected that one or more of it's protected system file(s) has been modified (rewritten, replaced or become corrupt) and that when Windows tried to repair the files, it failed. These files can no longer be trusted because they have been modified in some way. Or in other words, the files are Non-Genuine."

Basically something "you" did messed it up. Most of the articles I saw had the user eventually formating and re-installing as even the OS gets marked as not genuin...

1- i cant try a system restore coz this problem is being happening for a long time so i need to go a restore way back and has been already deleted by the computer to create space for the new 1s 

2- im not sure what to do there but i know sppsvc.exe which i tried to change its security setting but wont allow access is denied 

3-  i tried sfc scannow cmd is like it could not repair resource protection service or something file is corrupted something like that 

4-  im not sure what to do there to but i went to this directory c:\windows\softwaredistribution and no file was named reset 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

1- i cant try a system restore coz this problem is being happening for a long time so i need to go a restore way back and has been already deleted by the computer to create space for the new 1s 

2- im not sure what to do there but i know sppsvc.exe which i tried to change its security setting but wont allow access is denied 

3-  i tried sfc scannow cmd is like it could not repair resource protection service or something file is corrupted something like that 

4-  im not sure what to do there to but i went to this directory c:\windows\softwaredistribution and no file was named reset 

could please give me step by step detail what to do in ''2'' and ''4'' please 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

could please give me step by step detail what to do in ''2'' and ''4'' please 

should i delete this folder c:\windows\softwaredistribution

the software distribution folder 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Yes, shut down the service Windows Update and Bits.

Then delete that folder "softwaredistribution" and reboot and test.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Yes, shut down the service Windows Update and Bits.

Then delete that folder "softwaredistribution" and reboot and test.

should i disable them or stop it

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

so sorry for being so annoying :(  

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Just stop them - you want them to restart when you reboot.

ok i did that now what do i do

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

oh i see it kind of reset it but still no difference 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

For Option 2 - go into Services, and open that one up. Should be a tab for Log On - see what it is set at - should be NETWORK SERVICE I believe...

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you may be at the mercy of contacting Windows Support...

For Option 2 - go into Services, and open that one up. Should be a tab for Log On - see what it is set at - should be NETWORK SERVICE I believe...

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you may be at the mercy of contacting Windows Support...

it was set at as local system account i changed both of them to network service hopefully it works after i restart my computer 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

i did that but when i logged back in those 2 service didn't start what now 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

ill start them manually and see what happens 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

when i start them manually they show me a error 

post-28149-0-68702100-1376786127.png

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

If you check the other Tab - it will show the services that depend and/or are dependent on this. Write them down, then check their logon accounts. Just make sure you document everything so if it doesn't work out, you can change everything back...

is this normal 

post-28149-0-66643600-1376830136.png

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

That is what mine looks like. Also, my BITS service runs as "Local System Account" with the "Allow service to interact..." not checked...

so what now hmmmm do want to check me computer by using it yourself whats that app again 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

so what now hmmmm do want to check me computer by using it yourself whats that app again 

so sorry i forgot the apps name do u remember what it was or have any  choice u liked or ever used 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

that's huge a 7 hour time difference 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

somebody please reply 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD