PS3 phat or slim?(my head hurts)

simplebob

So, I'm in the market to buy a used ps3 for some rpg's/fighters and their exclusives and what not; But at the same time would love to play some ps2 games on it

I guess I'm kind of scared to buy a phat for the reason of it getting the YLOD or burning out or something, I know my old one did but the backwards compatibility means a lot.

so should I still get the fat? or the slim? maybe the super slim? the choices are confusing

help me brethren 

sony-playstation-3-3ej-800.jpg

ps4.png

Go slim, not super slim because those break and the phat ylod and you cannot play PS2 discs on the PS3

This is the super slim

post-6934-0-10267600-1376635677.jpg

if you can get the fat one for cheap go for it some don't YLOD I have a friend who still has his original ps3 in use from launch day he uses it for his bedroom while the new slim one is downstairs.

Go slim, not super slim because those break and the phat ylod and you cannot play PS2 discs on the PS3

The original 20 and 60 could

my old one could

you can play some ps2 games on certain models of the ps3.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I've had my phat ps3 for years without any issues, just keep it well ventilated...

I would see if you could pick up a fat on craigslist for cheap and rock that route....

If it's just to play some games the phat should be fine and cheapest if you don't mind its rather ugly form factor...  :o

I can play both PS2 and some PS1 games on my PS3....

I do know that newer versions don't have this functionality but not what model it stopped on...

if you can get the fat one for cheap go for it some don't YLOD I have a friend who still has his original ps3 in use from launch day he uses it for his bedroom while the new slim one is downstairs.

I found a couple in my area for under 150 which is fine for me, and they look just fine. i'm just a bit worried

I've had my phat ps3 for years without any issues, just keep it well ventilated...

I would see if you could pick up a fat on craigslist for cheap and rock that route....

If it's just to play some games the phat should be fine and cheapest if you don't mind its rather ugly form factor...  :o

I can play both PS2 and some PS1 games on my PS3....

I do know that newer versions don't have this functionality but not what model it stopped on...

ha yeah I don't care about the looks, just want to play some games

and they took out the BC when the 2nd gen ps3's came out ( 40/80gb )

Not sure if the newer ones support this but I just dropped a 250gb 2.5" drive in mine and it found it formatted it no problem...

Another option for PS2 games is to emulate them on PC...

Not sure if the newer ones support this but I just dropped a 250gb 2.5" drive in mine and it found it formatted it no problem...

Another option for PS2 games is to emulate them on PC...

I have a pc and I do emulate but I want the physical disc to put into a system 

You can put the physical discs in your computer  :rolleyes:

I don't blame you though, sometimes its nice to kick back on the couch and play some classics...

I would go the phat direction just because it's cheaper and you don't really care about any of the benefits of the slims...

I have seen some phat ps3s go for sub $100 on craigslist just keep an eye open.

This is the super slim

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The originals have backwards compatibility  

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Just don't buy a second hand console. If you can find a Slim new go for it otherwise get a superslim. The failure rates on the super slim aren't that much higher than the slim. And both are much lower than the Original. Just be very dubious if you decide to go for second hand. 

Edit: Only the 60GB PS3 could play all PS2 games.

The US version of the Original 80GB had some PS2 support but not all games were supported.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

If you want to play PS2 games off the disc you need to find the 60-80gb phat PS3s I think. Honestly the YLOD rate isn't that bad. I had my phat PS3 from 2007-2011 and it only died because I left it on a carpet on in a corner (I know right, stooopid!). 

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Get fat with a cooler, or reapply thermal paste or get better fan

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Get the slim and a used PS2 with component cables. Honestly, I'd (and do) just emulate my old PS2 games on my PC whenever I want to play them.

You can always try to find a phat PS3 that could play PS2 games, but it'd be really loud without doing some maintenance or mods to it.

get ps3 slim not super slim

ps3 fats has almost 3 times more chance to die compared to slims (i worked on a console repair service)

Edited by Levent

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

This is the super slim

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

u can play PS2 games on the fat PS3 (first gen)

or you could just buy a (thing) that u can install in a ps3 slim or super slim that can make u play ps1 ps2 games

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

u can play PS2 games on the fat PS3 (first gen)

or you could just buy a (thing) that u can install in a ps3 slim or super slim that can make u play ps1 ps2 games

That doesn't work on the slims, iv'e tried

the super slim looks like a piece of crap

i have the slim get that because it looks nice 

dont get a phat its used and older so most likely will breeeeaak every person i know owned a phat and it has broken/died(6 family + friends)

decision made !

get the slim

That doesn't work on the slims, iv'e tried

it does check your PM

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Get the slim.

The 'phat' has a lot of issues that could lead to failure, and most of them also have less storage.

And it's old!