PS3 phat or slim?(my head hurts)

simplebob

If you still plan on getting a backwards compatible PS3 make sure you get a CECHA or CECHB model and TEST BEFORE YOU BUY  (if possible). Also if your comfortable with opening the PS3, replace the thermal compound and if your okay with a doing permanent mod, the X-Flow mod can be seriously effective at avoiding the YLOD.(Just don't cover the holes) And all PS3s have removable hard drives so you could easily swap what ever size it comes with for a 1TB hdd.

How to check model

Pic of X-Flow Mod

CECHA and CECHB models use hardware for PS2 compatibility (they have the Emotion Engine on-board) while the the other backwards capable PS3s use software emulation. 

u can play PS2 games on the fat PS3 (first gen)

or you could just buy a (thing) that u can install in a ps3 slim or super slim that can make u play ps1 ps2 games

Only the 60GB fat and some 80 GB fats can play PS2 games. The 40GB model does not.

Only way to play PS2 games on the Slim and Super Slim is to download the PS2 games from the Playstation Store. There is nothing that you can buy that will make the PS3 Chech-200x models and Upward play PS2 games (From disc *excluding pproducts purchased from the PS Store*)

There is a Nice little table on Sony's website that shows which models are Backward Compatible.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Only the 60GB fat and some 80 GB fats can play PS2 games. The 40GB model does not.

Only way to play PS2 games on the Slim and Super Slim is to download the PS2 games from the Playstation Store. There is nothing that you can buy that will make the PS3 Chech-200x models and Upward play PS2 games (From disc *excluding pproducts purchased from the PS Store*)

There is a Nice little table on Sony's website that shows which models are Backward Compatible.

as i said first gen  fat ps3s

as i said u can play if u install something "in" any of the ps3 models including the super slim

but i think i cant mention it on the forums

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I have the old 60gb one that plays ps2 its currently broken. we sent it to a local store and found our disk drive fixed with duck tape. I think the fat one is the best or the slim not sure on super slim never seen it before

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

From my experience with the PS3 I would say get a early gen phat, I bought a phat 60GB back when it was 500 and so dollars because my PC couldn't play oblivion. Only thing I did to it was stick a bigger HDD in and it had no issues, I got rid of it sadly about 2 years ago because I had no games for it and it was sitting there collecting dust for a year by then, I'm kicking myself for not keeping it because of The Last of Us...

Get the original slim, stay away from the super slim or phat. 

THE PIT VIPER SPECS

4790k @ 4.7ghz  (EVGA CLC 360MM) | 32GB Patriot Viper Extreme @2133 mhz | Asus Z97-DELUXE Cooler Master H500M.| EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3

I recommend going for the slim version.

It has served me well.

I have a fatty 80gb since 08, so its gona be 5 years old this christmas and over the years it ran and still does run flawlessly, dont get all the fuss with YLOD.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M