Competitive COD

Lamb

I was only defending my statement on lag...

lag can always be an issue in an p2p scenario which is why it only really makes sense to have all of the official torments on LAN. I think ghost will be have dedicated servers for xbox, play station and PC which will be a big help. 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

eliminates some issues, not all.

what connection issues remain on LAN?

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

The fact that some lans don't have stable connection. Basicly any lan can loose connection to "out world" and when there aren't lan servers available this means every match delaying untill connection is fixed. I've also heard that switches in different areas of lan party give bit different feel to connection.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The fact that some lans don't have stable connection. Basicly any lan can loose connection to "out world" and when there aren't lan servers available this means every match delaying untill connection is fixed. I've also heard that switches in different areas of lan party give bit different feel to connection.

I just don’t remember there being any connection issues for players at the events I have watched and no complaints of connection lag in game, I am not claiming that what you say is not true just that if there are issues they must be either uncommon and not worth mentioning or negligible in effect.

I just don’t remember there being any connection issues for players at the events I have watched and no complaints of connection lag in game, I am not claiming that what you say is not true just that if there are issues they must be either uncommon and not worth mentioning or negligible in effect.

True. Gladly issues are really rare. Last major event that had major problems was IEM New York 1-2 years ago and that was because of huge storm hitting venue. Lag in lan is imo more because some players aren't used to high grade machines or connection lans provide. There's an epic comment from finnish cs players to question why he played so badly: "Too high fps."

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

True. Gladly issues are really rare. Last major event that had major problems was IEM New York 1-2 years ago and that was because of huge storm hitting venue. Lag in lan is imo more because some players aren't used to high grade machines or connection lans provide. There's an epic comment from finnish cs players to question why he played so badly: "Too high fps."

Wow, never complained about my fps being too high :). But I have heard of really good competitive level CS players who are still using mid ranged-crappy computers from when the game was first released and find it hard to adjust to modern computers with 16:9 displayes.

I also know that in the COD competitive circle there are definitely some teams which destroy on LAN but do not perform as well even on very good residential connections in p2p, the best example of this being Impact.

wow .. i previously said it fixes some issues but far from all .... perhaps there are alot more issues than just latency introduced through internet?

wow .. i previously said it fixes some issues but far from all .... perhaps there are alot more issues than just latency introduced through internet?

Playing on LAN you receive a consistent strong and low latency connection in game (when it is set-up properly). I am not a network guy but please tell me the network problems that you encounter on LAN?

Playing on LAN you receive a consistent strong and low latency connection in game (when it is set-up properly). I am not a network guy but please tell me the network problems that you encounter on LAN?

i am terribly sorry but i am not going to have a discussion with someone who is replying without reading my comments.

i am terribly sorry but i am not going to have a discussion with someone who is replying without reading my comments.

I am terribly sorry but i am not going to have a discussion with someone who is replying without reading my comments.

Your first comment was about how cod competitive cannot happen because the game intrinsically has ”broken hit detection and to many weird latency issues" , this is quite true online. Every game since the first BO has had a lag compensations system which has gotten progressively worse in terms of how much in interferes with connections in every game. But on LAN  where everyone is connected to the same router and everyone has negligible latency these issues go away. 

So I ask again what crappy connection issues that sometimes exist in online cod carry over to LAN.

I am terribly sorry but i am not going to have a discussion with someone who is replying without reading my comments.

Your first comment was about how cod competitive cannot happen because the game intrinsically has ”broken hit detection and to many weird latency issues" , this is quite true online. Every game since the first BO has had a lag compensations system which has gotten progressively worse in terms of how much in interferes with connections in every game. But on LAN  where everyone is connected to the same router and everyone has negligible latency these issues go away. 

So I ask again what crappy connection issues that sometimes exist in online cod carry over to LAN.

i will say it once again it's not just about connection issues, the games are just not suited for the serious bussines, they would have to heavily modify it and have strict rules, the games are just overall broken and to unbalanced, aside from that you say since bo? game has been inaccurate and terrible since mw2 also abit before that but not as bad, this also depends on what platform we are talking about be it pc or consoles.

i will say it once again it's not just about connection issues, the games are just not suited for the serious bussines, they would have to heavily modify it and have strict rules, the games are just overall broken and to unbalanced, aside from that you say since bo? game has been inaccurate and terrible since mw2 also abit before that but not as bad, this also depends on what platform we are talking about be it pc or consoles.

Good thing you mentioned game balancing before then....(hint you didn't), you suggested to other issues but I thought we were still on the topic of the connections in the game, my apologies for my confusion.

As for the actual subject of game balancing, I hardly think that BO2 is a completely broken game (far from it). Sure there are some annoying aspects to the game which can enable you to get the occasional unwarranted kill but they are minimal compared to previous titles. Competitive cod plays in the mlg variant rule set which aims remove aspects of the game which would be unbalanced for competitive play.

As for inaccurate...what exactly about it is inaccurate and what would make it more accurate? Call of Duty is not supposed to be a realistic modern military simulator; it is an arcade style fps in a modern setting, a game does not have to be accurate to work in a competitive setting (take CS for example).

facepalm*

i saw a vid on youtube of the "best cod players in the world" going head to head but... they were on console and took the piss out of the opponents when they killed them about 16-24 i guess

pretty retarded 

@Lamb

Who would have thought a cod thread would have been the most "popular" in a PC focussed E-Sports thread.... :)

Just thought I would share this, one of the members of OpTic Gaming (The pro COD team) was just dropped from the team. The player was OpTic MerK. This is big news. Very disappointing.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

Just thought I would share this, one of the members of OpTic Gaming (The pro COD team) was just dropped from the team. The player was OpTic MerK. This is big news. Very disappointing.

Have been unable to follow the mlgcod streams over the weekend. Why did they drop him?

Have been unable to follow the mlgcod streams over the weekend. Why did they drop him?

Not sure. BigT will be announcing the new player and why in the next couple of days.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

like the worst game evar soooo....yeeea.... i think its massively overrated

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

COD is a game for children IMO. Completely unreallistic, weapon systems don't make any sense (no recoil, no spread etc.), but it's an easy game to play which is important for those 7-12 year olds who create 90% of the community. I personally prefer Battlefield, it is more realistic, guns behave like...guns, but it's not that realistic to be boring. DICE found the right balance between arcade gameplay presented by COD and heavy realism found in ARMA.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

COD is a game for children IMO. Completely unreallistic, weapon systems don't make any sense (no recoil, no spread etc.), but it's an easy game to play which is important for those 7-12 year olds who create 90% of the community. I personally prefer Battlefield, it is more realistic, guns behave like...guns, but it's not that realistic to be boring. DICE found the right balance between arcade gameplay presented by COD and heavy realism found in ARMA.

How is your post relevant to COD eSports players?

Also Its an arcade shooter in a modern military setting, it is not supposed to be realistic. If that is not your sought of game that’s okay but don’t just hate on it and brandish it a kids game when I think you will find that 7-12 year olds are definitely a minority.

How is your post relevant to COD eSports players?

Also Its an arcade shooter in a modern military setting, it is not supposed to be realistic. If that is not your sought of game that’s okay but don’t just hate on it and brandish it a kids game when I think you will find that 7-12 year olds are definitely a minority.

Where did I say that I hate it? I have nothing against those people and that game, and if you want to hear my opinion on COD eSport scene - I don't think they are pros by any means, you can only become a pro in a game that requres some skill, COD does not.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Where did I say that I hate it? I have nothing against those people and that game, and if you want to hear my opinion on COD eSport scene - I don't think they are pros by any means, you can only become a pro in a game that requres some skill, COD does not.

I did not say that you hate the game and the players I said that you hate on the game i.e. you are simply being a hater. Being a hater you have just streamed off a few points about why you don’t like the game (with nothing to really back up those claims). If you think that cod does not require fps skill then you are simply mistaken. If the game required no skill then you could just walk right onto a competitive cod team and play as good as any of the pros, but you can’t and you won’t.

Just because you are a fan of the Battlefield series and you think that it has better games than the cod series does not mean that one game is better or worse than the other

Personally I find cod to be a more enjoyable game than battlefield because it is a faster paced game, yes BF3 is more realistic (ish) but that is not what I want in a modern military shooter. But I would not go into a thread about competitive Battlefield and start spewing off my reasons for preferring call of duty, because that would be silly :) .

I did not say that you hate the game and the players I said that you hate on the game i.e. you are simply being a hater. Being a hater you have just streamed off a few points about why you don’t like the game (with nothing to really back up those claims). If you think that cod does not require fps skill then you are simply mistaken. If the game required no skill then you could just walk right onto a competitive cod team and play as good as any of the pros, but you can’t and you won’t.

Just because you are a fan of the Battlefield series and you think that it has better games than the cod series does not mean that one game is better or worse than the other

Personally I find cod to be a more enjoyable game than battlefield because it is a faster paced game, yes BF3 is more realistic (ish) but that is not what I want in a modern military shooter. But I would not go into a thread about competitive Battlefield and start spewing off my reasons for preferring call of duty, because that would be silly :) .

Well we learned a new thing today- If you don't like a game because it doesn't fit your playstyle you're a hater. In that case YOU are a hater of Battlefield. and when I say that I PREFER one game over another, it doesn't mean it is generally better. It means I find it better, you for example might not and that is completely fine by me. And I streamed that couple of points because I think it is more appropriate than the post above my first post.

But you are right in one point, that game rquires some skill, the same and only skill you need in BF3 Team deathmatch - twitch reflexes.