What's the point of 4K?

DannyDem

So before a bunch of 4K users start bashing me, I'm doing this question for a specific reason and not because I think 4K is bad or anything (that would be ridiculous)

The reason I'm asking this is because there's a bunch of software which can supersample your resolution to 4K similiar resolutions like Nvidia's DSR for example, but today I've seen something diffrent... As you'd probably know the battlefront beta is out and I noticed in the settings you can change the resolution scaling to 200% which pretty much gives a resolution similiar to 4K (and looks really good aswell)

So my question is, If one can do that with a 1080p screen what's the point of paying the extra $$$ for a 4K monitor with software like this? Is the real thing that diffrent?

Actually considered getting a 4K monitor since 4K... well it has a lot of pixels  :P but questions like these are making me think twice...

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

There essentially isn't a point, it just for bragging rights as well as better quality picture. Although you are giving up more performance for the looks.

CPU: I5-7600k(5.1GHz)                                                       RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED(2x8GB @ 3200MHz/CAS-15)              Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO                                                      Storage: 850 EVO 250GB - 2x(1TB WD Blue(Raid 0))                                   PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W B2

Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO                                       GPU: G1 GTX 970                                                                                                  OS: Windows 10

There essentially isn't a point, it just for bragging rights as well as better quality picture. Although you are giving up more performance for the looks.

^This

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

For multimedia creation it works well because you could have a massive workspace. For everything else, I see no point.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Software 4k is way different than hardware 4k

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

So before a bunch of 4K users start bashing me, I'm doing this question for a specific reason and not because I think 4K is bad or anything (that would be ridiculous)

The reason I'm asking this is because there's a bunch of software which can supersample your resolution to 4K similiar resolutions like Nvidia's DSR for example, but today I've seen something diffrent... As you'd probably know the battlefront beta is out and I noticed in the settings you can change the resolution scaling to 200% which pretty much gives a resolution similiar to 4K (and looks really good aswell)

So my question is, If one can do that with a 1080p what's the point of buying the extra $$$ for a 4K with software like this? Is real thing that diffrent?

Actually considered getting a 4K since 4K... well it's a lot of pixels  :P but questions like these are making me think twice...

What's the point in gaming on a pc?

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Big screens that will be pixelated at 1440p

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Adobe Lightroom/Premiere Pro. The amount of stuff you can put on a 32 inch 4k monitor eliminates the 2-3 monitor setup (This only applies to those who like one display setups). 4k games look amazing. Played some NBA2k16 and Bioshock Infinite on 4k at my local microcenter. The clarity makes 1080p look really bad and 1440p look average. 

JWolf Tech Broadcast

For Gaming 4k is not worth it. You loose far too much Performance.

1440p is the perfect spot.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

So my question is, If one can do that with a 1080p screen what's the point of paying the extra $$$ for a 4K monitor with software like this? Is the real thing that diffrent?

Actually considered getting a 4K monitor since 4K... well it has a lot of pixels  :P but questions like these are making me think twice...

DSR and other supersampling methods look nowhere near the quality of 4K, don't let the marketing fool you. They're just glorified anti-aliasing techniques re-packaged under a different name which games have been using for years and years. Yes many anti-aliasing techniques work by rendering things at a higher resolution internally and then downsampling, that doesn't mean "you get 4K on a 1080p screen!!!" they're just re-advertising AA with a new focus on the "higher resolution internally" part because 4K is a nice buzz word now.

Because there's people like me who want the very fucking best.

Budgets are non-existant as is price to performance ratios

I want the fucking best

I will get the fuckin best'

No matter what

Shipping sucks

For Gaming 4k is not worth it. You loose far too much Performance.

1440p is the perfect spot.

Not with SLI titan X's

Shipping sucks

Not with SLI titan X's

Yes because spending $2,000 on graphics cards to run 4k properly, vs spending ~500-750$ on a GPU to run 1440p properly is totally worth it lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Yes because spending $2,000 on graphics cards to run 4k properly, vs spending ~500-750$ on a GPU to run 1440p properly is totally worth it lol

Damn right it is

Future-proofing is real and it's alive

Shipping sucks

A 1080p monitor doesn't suddenly start showing you 3840x2160 frames just because the video card is sending them at that size. It's being sent images that are 3840x2160, but it still only has 1,920 pixels of width and 1,080 pixels of height at the hardware level, so some interpolation has to happen somewhere. The result is that DSR ends up being more like a very powerful AA technique than anything else.

Assuming my understanding is correct (read: someone please correct me if I'm an idiot), each block of 4 pixels at 4K has to translate to one pixel on a 1080p monitor. The monitor can only display one color per pixel—so if the original 4 pixel block had more than one color between them, some quality is probably lost as a result.

Additionally, a 4K monitor allows you to use a physically larger monitor without the DPI/quality sacrifice that comes along with blowing up 1080p to 27"+.

If you have the hardware to drive true 4k, and with the montiors coming out with ultrawides, 4k, 100Hz, ect ect, then 4k gaming is worthwhile IMHO.

I'm in the middle right now with 2 GTX 980's which will run 4k at 60hz with little issues.  Going to a monior like the new Acer/Asus 34in 100hz monitors, should still work as the upgrade of 40Hz is done mainly by the g-sync chip within the monitor.

Stilly there are no ultrawides 34-35 inch monitors with G-sync, IPS with 2k resolution out there.   If there were I'd take that over a 4k montior no question.  I supposed I could get the 4k and downgrade the resolution to 2k, but that is a lot of extra cash to spend just to be able to do so. :(

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i