Thermal Imaging PC

pcman2000

I posted this a while ago on reddit, but I thought I would post it here.

Having recently bought a high res thermal imager for other purposes, I realised that it was actually a great tool for PC building - you can spot what components on your GPU or motherboard are getting hot, which is especially important if you're doing a watercooling build or similar where there may be limited airflow to components like VRMs.

Perhaps Linus should buy once for LinusMediaGroup to use in various reviews (ie. Case, GPU, Fan, Cooler) or when covering some exotic builds.

The specific camera I used is the Opgal Therm-App which is 384x288 resolution and retails for $939. As far as thermal imaging goes that's actually a really, really cheap price for a 384x288 device. Most imagers of that resolution are $3000+.

Enjoy the photos, and let me know if you have any requests to image anything.

FCfeNme.jpg

Front of the BitFenix Prodigy M case. You can see the hotspot from where the graphics card is located.

5zLAWUT.jpg

A overview of the entire setup. As you can see, the portrait monitor gets pretty toasty - this is because in portrait there are no vents at the top (and hot air rises obviously).

fE1JNSa.jpg

Top without dust filter. You can see the graphics card in there.

vl8CYMN.jpg

Back. Again, GPU exhaust. You can see the warm air coming out of the back exhaust fan too.

d78ogc4.jpg

Side panel off, drive cage in the way :P

6aFbcNW.jpg

840 EVO. You can barely read the Samsung branding on it.

DvmZhSN.jpg

Two 2TB WD Green drives. The label appears much hotter than the shiny metal top place because the metal plate has a much lower emissivity than the paper label.

wXjvqav.jpg

The label. You can read it because of the very slight differences in emissivity between black & white surfaces.

pcifeVl.jpg

SATA Connectors.

UzUe1yK.jpg

Inside again. What's that hot spot at the top of the motherboard?

V0TznwI.jpg

Why it's the chipset of course (Z87).

dbxnvZa.jpg

Nice detail of the chipset heatsink. You can actually see the cooler PCB traces (as the copper traces dissapate heat more than the fiberglass PCB).

48sSuhy.jpg

Some voltage regulator is getting hot.

79kguDh.jpg

No idea what this chip is, but it's hot. There's no airflow around here so that's why.

qTHYn0P.jpg

Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X

zHuO1gw.jpg

The PCB is 56.5 degrees C...

5eBl1ku.jpg

92 on the VRMs at the back of the board. Sorry for the bad angle, the case is very small and the camera has a slight telephoto lens attatched.

pO8lE0u.jpg

After running furmark for a few minutes.... Over 100C!

0sqakaI.jpg

RAM staying very cool... why do they need heatsinks again? 

DnvyC7R.jpg

Some shiny objects reflect long wave IR just like they do to visible light.

iTF6qJx.jpg

CPU heatsink fins.

HzS5qRt.jpg

A toasty chip between two PCI(e) slots.

e20flDL.jpg

Another toasty chip near the CPU 8 pin.

hTceBRR.jpg

Hot chip near the 24pin. Also a hot thing in the fan cable... probably a resistor in the low RPM adapter.

I need more SSDs.

Noice.

Yeah @LinusTech Get one of these.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

Thats actually really cool

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

I could swear I saw a proper FLIR camera in one of their vids...

E4, somewhere around 2:20 mark

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

linus should get one of these

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Sick pictures, I wish I could do that with my case.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Also great for laptop reviews... certainly far better than taping a thermocouple to a laptop.

3759fa0a82.jpg

Versus...

IPfKJZq.jpg

9oM5rGZ.jpg

UzfUsl2.jpg

wnT2Gg1.jpg

Does video with sexy graphs too. Here's the inside of my laptop.

I need more SSDs.

Yes, another expensive toy on Linuses tech pile.

But why go with the budged version? Couldnt 10k buy him a 720p version?

Shold be quite nice for in depth cooler and gpu reviews.

"101.6 degrees on the VRM's"

i nearly choked.

Those are rated for 125 °C, so its fine.

nice pictures 

Those are rated for 125 °C, so its fine.

you could boil water for a nice cup of tea :D

would less heat with some additional fans increase vrams lifetime? even if its rated 125°c

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

But why go with the budged version? Couldnt 10k buy him a 720p version?

Unfortunately not - for three reasons.

1. The lenses required for larger sensors get exponentially bigger. Since the lenses for higher res sensors (as they need to resolve more detail) need to be made out of Germanium, they get very expensive, very quickly. The fact that optical grade Germanium cannot be formed like glass and must be cut from crystals increases the price too.
  2. Economies of scale are working against you. Even though thermal imagers are a very niche product, at least there is a fair bit of demand (relatively) for ~320x240 for building inspections, high end car night vision, hunting scopes etc. There is far less demand for 640x480, let along 1024x768 or above sensors, meaning their prices are very expensive.
  3. Many people who demand higher resolutions also demand higher frame rates and sensitivities at the same time. For the higher framerates and sensitivity, a cooled sensor is required, as opposed to the uncooled sensors found in cheaper (<$50k) products. These cooled sensors work on a completely different physics principle to uncooled sensors and are far more expensive both because they are very, very niche products and also because they need to be cooled well below -200°C with a cryogenic cooler (that needs to be refilled with helium occasionally)

A cheaper 640x480 camera is the FLIR T620, which goes for ~$20,000 USD, or the Testo 890 for ~$18,000

FLIR also recently released their T1020, which is a 1024x768 unit. This is one of very few 1024x768 uncooled cameras available, and you can find it for ~$39,000 USD.

For true 720p resolution, the FLIR SC8300 would do. It has 1344×784 resolution (basically 1280x720 surrounded by 32 pixel border). However, this is a cooled camera and as a result retails for a cool $140,000 USD. However, being a cooled camera, it is capable of 130fps capture (uncooled cameras usually are 30fps or less) and a thermal sensitivity of well below 0.02°C (compared to, say, ~0.07°C for the camera I used). That said, you can get a open box one for a "bargain" right now for only $94,500 here.

Oh, and don't forget the lenses for that thing. They'll probably be $10,000+  ;)

I need more SSDs.

And those temps are just what surface is like. Like I just last weekend measured how how my laptops power brick gets. Whole 43C. Insides are hotter. But hey, the pics look great.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Wish I had one of those....

Where my dad works I might be able to get my hands on one though...

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

"101.6 degrees on the VRM's"

i nearly choked.

How my 290 used to be. Then I pointed a fan right at the VRM's, not they only hit around 75c.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

And those temps are just what surface is like. Like I just last weekend measured how how my laptops power brick gets. Whole 43C. Insides are hotter. But hey, the pics look great.

Surface of my Korean Monitor power brick hits 50C+  :(

I need more SSDs.

Awesome pictures, thermal cameras are one of those toys most of us nerds want.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.