RAID with a 2.5 inch HDD and a 3.5 inch HDD

Kevguy

Can I do RAID 0 or 1 with an older (SATA2) 2.5 inch Hitachi HDD with a newer (SATA3) 3.5 inch Seagate HDD? Both drives are 500 GB each.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

i believe you can raid them as long as they're identical size, but if they're different speeds that will most likely cause some odd issues.

that said, can you REALLY not shell over the $100 for two identical drives? (or $50 if you pick up some refurbs from a local shop)

i believe you can raid them as long as they're identical size, but if they're different speeds that will most likely cause some odd issues.

that said, can you REALLY not shell over the $100 for two identical drives? (or $50 if you pick up some refurbs from a local shop)

I am building a PC from leftover parts that I'm scrounging up between myself and my friend. We have and older 500 GB laptop drive and a newer Seagate Barracuda drive. Just wondering how to best incorporate these drives into the build.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

I am building a PC from leftover parts that I'm scrounging up between myself and my friend. We have and older 500 GB laptop drive and a newer Seagate Barracuda drive. Just wondering how to best incorporate these drives into the build.

i'd suggest just using them as seperate drives. or keep one on hand.

Games/Programs and then the other as a backup drive or a documents drive!

See, this is the storage:

128 GB SSD

2.5 inch hitachi HDD 500 GB SATA2

3.5 inch Seagate barracuda HDD 500 GB SATA3

How would you do this?

See, this is the storage:

128 GB SSD

2.5 inch hitachi HDD 500 GB SATA2

3.5 inch Seagate barracuda 500 GB SATA3

How would you do this?

install OS of choice on SSD (guessing it wont be windows if scrapped parts, both because of license costs and YAY experimenting with linux)

actually... if using linux..

/ on ssd

/home on one HDD

/var on the other HDD

install OS of choice on SSD (guessing it wont be windows if scrapped parts, both because of license costs and YAY experimenting with linux)

actually... if using linux..

/ on ssd

/home on one HDD

/var on the other HDD

No Linux, sorry. It will be win 10.....eventually. Starting off with and old copy of win 7.

No Linux, sorry.

then windows, i'm guessing?

C:\ on SSD

one hard drive has the whole "C:\users" symlinked to it (good luck with this one, see it as a challenge)

the other has "C:\program files" symlinked to it (that should be pretty easy to do on a clean install)

then windows, i'm guessing?

C:\ on SSD

one hard drive has the whole "C:\users" symlinked to it (good luck with this one, see it as a challenge)

the other has "C:\program files" symlinked to it (that should be pretty easy to do on a clean install)

That's a bit over my head I think. We were just looking for a way to use up spare computer parts lying around collecting dust but are still good.

Maybe I'll just go with 2 storage drives like K:\ and L:\

Check out his this post and you will see what I'm getting at

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/462127-spare-parts-build/

That's a bit over my head I think. We were just looking for a way to use up spare computer parts lying around collecting dust but are still good.

Maybe I'll just go with 2 storage drives like K:\ and L:\

the thing is if you're using spare parts, thats the perfect time to experiment, and potentially learn something.

but yeah, that'd be the usual thing to do :P

Have the 3.5 drive be the boot drive and use the other drive if you need more storage. Try to use single drive setups if you can it much simpler and there is less points of failure. Use backup instead of raid 1.

Have the 3.5 drive be the boot drive and use the other drive if you need more storage. Try to use single drive setups if you can it much simpler and there is less points of failure. Use backup instead of raid 1.

SSD will be the boot drive.

I just had to buy these parts:

post-181573-0-68687000-1444110109_thumb.

Can I do RAID 0 or 1 with an older (SATA2) 2.5 inch Hitachi HDD with a newer (SATA3) 3.5 inch Seagate HDD? Both drives are 500 GB each.

Hey there Kevguy,

Generally you can put any two or more storage drives in a RAID array. It is recommended to use similar drives with the same firmware, rpm and capacity for RAID arrays. The RAID controller will limit the speed of all drives in the array to the one with the slowest and the capacity of all the drives in the array to the one with the smallest. This means that in your case, although they are with the same capacity, you'd have them work with the speed of the slower of the two. Moreover, differences in the drives' firmware may lead to often drive dropouts of the array and thus cause data loss. 
It is also recommended to use NAS/RAID-class drives for RAID arrays since those drives have some additional features in their firmware and hardware (such as TLER) that enable them to work much safer and smoother in such environments. WD Red is a good example of such a drive: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=s8KWbD

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/