AMD Begins To Sell Radeon R7 DDR4 Memory Modules

HKZeroFive

Advanced Micro Devices has started to sell Radeon DDR4 memory modules. The new DIMMs are not compatible with AMD's existing platforms, but can work with Intel Corp.'s central processing units as well as AMD's upcoming chips due in 2016.

AMD Radeon R7 DDR4 memory modules are available in dual-channel 8GB memory kits rated to run at 2133MHz or 2400MHz with CL15 timings. It is unclear whether the modules feature Intel's XMP [extreme memory profiles] technology, but they definitely support AMD's own memory profiles, reports PC Games Hardware.

AMD_Radeon_Arbeitsspeicher_DDR3-pcgh.png

At present only Intel's "Skylake" and "Haswell-E" desktop processors support DDR4 memory. In the future AMD intends to release code-named "Bristol Ridge" and "Summit Ridge" processors with "Excavator" and "Zen" cores, which will use DDR4. The new chips will feature the new AM4 form-factor. Current-generation AMD microprocessors are compatible with DDR3 memory.

AMD's Radeon R7 DDR4 memory modules are not performance champions, but fans of AMD's Radeon graphics cards and modders make purchase decisions based on design and visual aesthetics, not on performance.

EDIT on above: 6th October 8.39am by Allan ‘Zardon’ Campbell – Editor in Chief. This is not ‘KitGuru’s opinion’ and I am issuing an clarification/apology in regards to this statement. It is incorrect, inflammatory and should never have been published by Anton last night. You can read my update HERE.

KitGuru Says: It is noteworthy that while the Radeon R7 DDR4 memory modules are available in select stores in Germany, they are not listed on AMD's official web-site.

Looks like KitGuru is still salty about AMD not sending them a Fury X sample... Biased much?

KitGuru's handling of the matter was conducted in a professional manner. Let's just hope this sort of bias or behaviour in their articles will never occur again.

Anyway, wasn't quite aware that AMD made DDR4 memory, but I'm liking the aesthetics - suitable for someone looking to make an AMD build. Seems like AMD is prepping themselves for Zen (and Excavator but who cares about that amirite?) so all this seems very exciting.

Quoted Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/memory/anton-shilov/amd-quietly-begins-to-sell-ddr4-memory-modules-for-intel-and-next-gen-platforms/

Article's Source (German): http://www.pcgameshardware.de/RAM-Hardware-154108/News/DDR4-AMD-Radeon-1172631/

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Edit:  I like the look of their memory, but.. eh.  I can't see anyone putting  -that- DDR4 in a Skylake build.  It would seem unnatural.

Definitely with Zen, but that is still a year away.

Call me when they make 32GB kits (2x16GB DIMMS). Skylake supports 32gb on ITX, and i need a rad 32GB kit.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

If it's cheaper than the rest i'd buy that.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Whats up with the german source? Looks good.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I now want DDR4 ram.

And who cares that only intel has DDR4 support.

AMD sees a market, and they joined it!

More like Shitguru amirite?

But I guess this means DDR4 support on future "Zen" CPU's is confirmed(because there would be no other logical reason for AMD to redistribute DDR4 memory), now its just a matter of waiting...

it wont be...

Just like todays versions, AMD DDR3 is more expensive in the US.

funnily enough, it is often cheaper or equally cheap as other RAM brands in the EU and UK

Well fortunately I don't live in America then ;)

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

who is making the sticks? im okay with amd putting the cart before the horse. and i high believe the next cpu in the finalizing stage of manufacturing so it will be out soon.

Am I the only one that thinks that the heatsinks look the same as these, aside from the sticker?

http://www.vortez.net/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=7467

who cares if the heatsink is the same...

Corsair Dominator has been the same for nearly a decade, except the top end kits sometimes can have LEDs in them...

Same for Kingston Savage

Crucial Ballistics

get a Kingston Savage kit....

or Crucial Tactical Tracer

So far, the only 32GB (2x16GB) that i've seen for sale, are the Corsair Vengeance LPX and the GeIL Super Luce kits. Do you know if Kingston or Crucial sells kits with the same density? ITX boards only have 2 DIMM slots, so its important that they are 16GB DIMMS.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

who cares if the heatsink is the same...

Corsair Dominator has been the same for nearly a decade, except the top end kits sometimes can have LEDs in them...

Same for Kingston Savage

Crucial Ballistics

I just could have sworn I have seen that heat spreader before.

This is a sort of irony that will never ever escape me. AMD making RAM of a standard that, if speculation is accurate, they won't be able to utilize for another 18 months. Ho-lee-shit. That's sad. That's just really really sad.

Why does AMD not upgrade to a modern motherboard?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

most likely it for the next gen APU chips since DDR4 could hit crazy speeds like 3200MHz

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

to bad their cpus don't support that.

This is a sort of irony that will never ever escape me. AMD making RAM of a standard that, if speculation is accurate, they won't be able to utilize for another 18 months. Ho-lee-shit. That's sad. That's just really really sad.

it is not AMD that makes it. They only slap a heatsink and sticker onto either micron or hynix modules. Fairly sure it was Micron (Crucial).

Same with AMD SSDs... AMD doesnt make SSDs like intel does. OCZ makes SSD, AMD slap cool heatsink and sticker on it.

However with the AMD SSD, atleast if you read the sticker underneath the SSD, it says clearly that it is a OCZ device, and i applaud AMD and OCZ for being as transparent and honest about it as they are.

"you cant use this ram without liquid cooling it or it will overheat"

-every intel fanboy ever

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

it is not AMD that makes it. They only slap a heatsink and sticker onto either micron or hynix modules. Fairly sure it was Micron (Crucial).

Same with AMD SSDs... AMD doesnt make SSDs like intel does. OCZ makes SSD, AMD slap cool heatsink and sticker on it.

However with the AMD SSD, atleast if you read the sticker underneath the SSD, it says clearly that it is a OCZ device, and i applaud AMD and OCZ for being as transparent and honest about it as they are.

I know this... I have a couple of AMD modules in my PC and they have a sticker saying Patriot on them, so... in my case they're a rebrand of a rebrand. :P

that cooler design of the RAM looks more like my OCZ RAMs

ocz-gold-series.jpg

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I know this... I have a couple of AMD modules in my PC and they have a sticker saying Patriot on them, so... in my case they're a rebrand of a rebrand. :P

wait, my older patriot ram sticks used to have an AMD label on them??? these ones?

http://www.vortez.net/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=7467