Pascal... 10 times faster? your opinion...

So, Pascal gpu's are coming, and it is said that they will be 10 times faster than the current maxwell. With HBM and BALLIN amounts of VRAM (i think 32 gbs was mentionned somewhere). Coming in 2016, these gpu's bring up different questions that i feel we should discuss:

1: do you think, from your experience, or from some info, that they will be that big of a leap (like if everybody will switch automatically to them)

2: do you think that a range of differently powerfull and differently priced cards will come out, or a single immensly powerfull enthusiast gigallion dollars card?

3: should someone that wants to upgrade wait for pascal in 2016, or buy a cheap card now that will do the job, and wait a few years for the pascal cards to be less expensive, or just wait for the first pascal card and buy it?

4: (i had to do it) do you think this architechture will end amd's claim on the gpu market? (There you go, you now have a reason to wage a violent war of the manufacturers! :D )

hoping to get usefull discussions!

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

Waiting for Pascall, Cannonlake and Windows 12 before upgrading

/jk

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

10 times faster on paper, probably.

In games, probably not. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Why does everyone think that Pascal will be 10x faster then Maxwell, Nvidia didn't say that, they said it would be 10x faster at workstation stuff, programs that use the gpu.

Pascal will be probably the usual increase in performance.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

I really can't see either AMD nor Nvidia releasing something so much faster than current GPUs.  Unless is a multi thousand card for professionals and crazy enthusiasts.

It does not benefit them to stop sales of any other models they manufacture, because people will only want to buy the new one.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

D O N ' T    B E L I E V E    M A R K E T T I N G    M A T E R I A L S

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

If either Nvidia or AMD are sitting on a card that is literally 10 times faster than the current stuff, we won't see it for a loooooong time. Why would they sell us something 10x faster right now when they can sell us something 2x faster, then something 3x faster the next year, then something 4x faster the next year, etc?

10 times faster in something maxwell wasnt designed to do.

its all in how you market things ;)

If it can be 10x faster it womt be and pascal will be here for at least 8 years. Cuz they will milk it dry before they max it out. So in that case expect an insane amount of cards with pascal on them. And 32 GB? Not going to happen, only on quadro and titan MAYBE. Not on the normal cards. MAYBE 16gb there. Expect only 8Gb there or 12. I can just smell the rebadge coming in 2018 with just more vram.

I have no signature

10x faster than current gen? Depends on the application. I think they will run into issues with heat that will need to be addressed, and they won't release anything that will eat into their current gen cards. An incremental release, sure, but nothing earth shattering. 

also do you see current gen getting HBM in the future?

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

i think the 10x performance boost is in compute based work.

But whether that 10x performance is true or not, only time will tell.

Sure, it'll be faster, but we'll by how much

Looking for a job

Jayztwocents made a video about this, it's not 10x faster gaming wise, it has 10x the compute power of the older cards

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

10 times faster than a 450.

kek

basically they mean its 10x faster than their old junk, in reality its like 1.5x faster than a 980 at most

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

and also no, amd's making a big comeback in 2016 with cpu's and their gpus are starting to top nvidia's titans at <half price, plus CCC is starting to get a lot more useful for gpu features which is awesome

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

10x faster....yeah!!  I believe it when I see it.  I was one of those who was willing to wait for Pascal if it came out early next year but it looks like it will come out either 3QT or early 2017.   So! I bought myself EVGA b-stock 980 now for cheap and just enjoy it until I feel the need to upgrade again. 

It doesn't matter what the difference will be, there's ten thousands if not hundred thousands of people who will upgrade just for the sake of getting newer components.

Well it's a 28nm jump to 16nm so it has some potential, as that's almost* half the fabrication size which is almost* 4x the density, so it has potential, but I doubt they will load it up too much, and save space for extra transistors and cores for the refresh, if you're looking for a rough estimation on what to expect from it, look at the jump from the GTX 580 to 680, it really wasn't anything too special.

Vegeta told me he think it will be over 9000 times faster.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

also do you see current gen getting HBM in the future?

Current Gen GPUs cannot have HBM.

You basically need to completely redesign the chip for HBM to be integrated.

HBM is MUCH different from GDDRx.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

I don't think as many people will upgrade to pascal, purely because so many went for maxwell and it's too short a time to need to upgrade, as it won't be 10x faster at gaming, only in specific synthetic tests nvidia will have put it through that have a bias towards it. Kepler users like myself will probably upgrade, I know I would like to get the 1060 or whatever they call it, as it should be a significant step up over my 770.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I don't think as many people will upgrade to pascal, purely because so many went for maxwell and it's too short a time to need to upgrade, as it won't be 10x faster at gaming, only in specific synthetic tests nvidia will have put it through that have a bias towards it. Kepler users like myself will probably upgrade, I know I would like to get the 1060 or whatever they call it, as it should be a significant step up over my 770.

Get a R9 390X. It will be faster then 1060 or whatever... have more VRAM, have equal or better compute, and it is a concept that works.

remember pascal is Nvidias first shot at a HBM consumer product. This is their FIRST attempt, and while i do not doubt that they will succeed, there has yet to be a Nvidia product featuring this sort of setup before...

Remember, Nvidia cards has always had narrow busses, super narrow.... Now opening the floodgates to a 4096bit bus with 1-2GB/s speeds is a big step for them

I'm pretty sure they meant 10x faster at compute than Maxwell since it kinda sucked at compute.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //