Amazon Will Ban Sale of Apple TV and Google’s Chromecast

jos

I'll laugh if someone rich guy buys a ton apple tvs and chromecasts from amazon. :P

I'm wondering what they'll do with the left over stock at the end of the month? Save them until Black Friday and then firesale?

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

What is the source of the article?

Are you really questioning Bloomberg's sources? Most likely its a marketplace seller that doesn't want to be identified as the source for fear of Amazon banning them from the marketplace.

Like I said if this was fake Amazon would have released a statement by now

I'm wondering what they'll do with the left over stock at the end of the month? Save them until Black Friday and then firesale?

Good question... I'd pick one up but I'm supposed to be getting my old parts back from my first decent main rig... Might make a little htpc in a 3rd gen PS3 (one of the phat ones) since my second rig is getting a atx board soon and no case is small enough to fit in my tv stand...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Are you really questioning Bloomberg's sources? Most likely its a marketplace seller that doesn't want to be identified as the source for fear of Amazon banning them from the marketplace.

Like I said if this was fake Amazon would have released a statement by now

I'd question any news site unless:

• Everyone else is reporting the same thing from their own sources; or
  • They state their source

1) They don't only sell their brand of products. You can find Wacom tablets, GoPro cameras, Nest cameras and other stuff in Apple's stores for example.

2) Apple's and Google's app stores sell things from other brands but they are still allowed to deny apps on their stores. What Amazon is doing here is pretty much exactly the same as what Apple has done on the app store for years now.

I think it's a dick move by Amazon, but it's no more of a dick move than what Apple has been doing with their app store.

FFS its nothing like apple,  just because you hate apple dont bring that hate to an unrelated topic.

Amazon can choose what they want to sell in their store. The same way a car manufacturer can choose to stop making a car because everyone is buying their competitor's car. Refusing to sell a certain product is NOT anti-competitive.

Check wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-competitive_practices

EDIT: I don't think they should stop selling Apple and Google products, but they are within their rights to.

what MS did with internet explorer isnt listed on your wiki page but that was classed as AC. by its self, refusing to sell a product isnt AC, but if the retailer has a simlar product, and a huge market share then it becomes AC. people keep saying "well they can sell what they like its there store" ....realy ok then lets see them sell guns or drugs then.... they are bound by laws

I'd question any news site unless:

• Everyone else is reporting the same thing from their own sources; or
  • They state their source

what like these

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/2/9439281/amazon-ban-apple-tv-chromecast-why

http://gizmodo.com/amazon-just-banned-the-sale-of-google-chromecast-and-ap-1734050473

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/business/amazon-to-stop-selling-apple-tv-and-chromecast.html

you may want to take that tin foil hat off

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

The last two cite Bloomberg as their source. Bloomberg don't then cite a source. That was my point.

right.....

3449330-tumblr_loq5o7rd4n1qzl8s1o1_400.g

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

The antitrust discussion aside, I think that this is a really dumb move from a business perspective.

Do they really think that if someone wants to buy a Chromecast or an Apple TV and they cannot find it on amazon, that they will buy a FireTV product instead? I think it's much more likely that they will just shop somewhere else then, it's not like there is a lack of online retailers. So instead of making some money by selling those products, they are desperately trying to push their own platform.

Also, the fact that there is an Amazon Video app for iTunes and Android, but not for Android TV and apparently not for the new Apple TV makes me wonder. How difficult is it to make an app for those platforms which use basically the same hardware and software? If their concern really was that those products don't support their streaming service, they would put some effort into bringing support to them.

FFS its nothing like apple,  just because you hate apple dont bring that hate to an unrelated topic.

Yes it is. Apple rules their app store with an iron fist, banning products left and right.

The only difference is that this is hardware instead of software.

Yes it is. Apple rules their app store with an iron fist, banning products left and right.

The only difference is that this is hardware instead of software.

yeah that and amazon sells millions of diferant products in 100s of different categories where as the app store sells apps. if apple started banning apps that competed with there own services then maybe you would have a point,  apps like google maps, google search, chromecast, google chrome, are you seeing a trend here? seriously your hatred towards apple is getting pathetic, its blinding you from making common sense statements. this is nothing like apples app store its not even close.

go home lawlz, your drunk

yeah that and amazon sells millions of diferant products in 100s of different categories where as the app store sells apps.

Amazon is selling millions of different physical products and Apple is selling millions of different software products.

if apple started banning apps that competed with there own services then maybe you would have a point,  apps like google maps, google search, chromecast, google chrome, are you seeing a trend here?

Actually, they have banned products that compete with their own services.

For example they have banned a lot of apps for allowing users to purchase music or because they are competing against Apple's Radio feature.

When Apple launched the Apple Watch they started rejecting apps that mentioned Pebble and Android Wear among other things.

They used to block Google Voice (blocked it for something like a year, along with all third party apps that allowed iOS users to use it).

I have a vague memory of them banning a lot of camera apps that used the volume button as a shutter button, only to announce it as a feature in like iOS 4 or 5 a few months later.

You are still not allowed to use any JS engine other than Nitro on iOS. It was the main reason why Firefox was not on iOS for so long.

Do you not wonder why Amazon does not have an app store on iOS like they do on Android? It's because Apple is not allowing them to release it.

There are tons and tons of examples like this.

seriously your hatred towards apple is getting pathetic, its blinding you from making common sense statements. this is nothing like apples app store its not even close.

go home lawlz, your drunk

I think my comments are full of logic and rationality. Look at all the sources I have linked to back up my statement. Look at how I disproved Arty's claim in the first post I made in the thread.

I was not the one who brought Apple into this. I was not the one making false claims like "the Apple store only sells their own brands".

You on the other hand is calling people haters, and Arty is calling people retarded, for simply pointing out that what Amazon is doing is pretty much exactly the same as what Apple has been doing for years.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really shitty move by Amazon, but it really is no different than Google and Apple blocking apps from their app stores. I have no idea why people are acting like it is okay when Apple/Google/Microsoft does it, but when Amazon does it isn't wrong and should be illegal.

Do you want companies to have control over what they sell? if you say no then Amazon should not be allowed to block sales of the Chromecast or the Apple TV, but at the same time Apple/Google/Microsoft should not be allowed to reject apps on their app stores either.

If you answered yes then Amazon should have the right to block sales if they so desire. It is their store after all. They can choose to sell or not sell whatever they want. If they are banning popular products then in the end they are only hurting themselves, since both Apple and Google will be more than willing to sell you the product directly from their own stores.

A lot of you people on here seem to be onto something that Amazon's lawyers don't know. You guys should probably give them a call to let them know before they make such an expensive mistake. Fucking clowns.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

If Apple can ban Bose and Fitbit in favor of their beats and Apple watch simply cause it's their store, why Amazon shouldn't be able to do the same?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Amazon is selling millions of different physical products and Apple is selling millions of different software products.

Actually, they have banned products that compete with their own services.

For example they have banned a lot of apps for allowing users to purchase music or because they are competing against Apple's Radio feature.

When Apple launched the Apple Watch they started rejecting apps that mentioned Pebble and Android Wear among other things.

They used to block Google Voice (blocked it for something like a year, along with all third party apps that allowed iOS users to use it).

I have a vague memory of them banning a lot of camera apps that used the volume button as a shutter button, only to announce it as a feature in like iOS 4 or 5 a few months later.

You are still not allowed to use any JS engine other than Nitro on iOS. It was the main reason why Firefox was not on iOS for so long.

Do you not wonder why Amazon does not have an app store on iOS like they do on Android? It's because Apple is not allowing them to release it.

There are tons and tons of examples like this.

I think my comments are full of logic and rationality. Look at all the sources I have linked to back up my statement. Look at how I disproved Arty's claim in the first post I made in the thread.

I was not the one who brought Apple into this. I was not the one making false claims like "the Apple store only sells their own brands".

You on the other hand is calling people haters, and Arty is calling people retarded, for simply pointing out that what Amazon is doing is pretty much exactly the same as what Apple has been doing for years.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really shitty move by Amazon, but it really is no different than Google and Apple blocking apps from their app stores. I have no idea why people are acting like it is okay when Apple/Google/Microsoft does it, but when Amazon does it isn't wrong and should be illegal.

Do you want companies to have control over what they sell? if you say no then Amazon should not be allowed to block sales of the Chromecast or the Apple TV, but at the same time Apple/Google/Microsoft should not be allowed to reject apps on their app stores either.

If you answered yes then Amazon should have the right to block sales if they so desire. It is their store after all. They can choose to sell or not sell whatever they want. If they are banning popular products then in the end they are only hurting themselves, since both Apple and Google will be more than willing to sell you the product directly from their own stores.

1 they didnt ban the hmv app they should not have let it through in the first place, thats been a long standing part of the developer agreement, and its not about competition its about piracy

2 they didnt ban the radio app they stopped advertising them, read your own source.

3 again banning people from mentioning and therefore advertising other products not the app itself.

4 the rest is used to and memories.

5 Amazons app store piggybacked of android and the amazon tablets use a version of android for there OS. why on earth would they need an ios app? not to metnion that allowinf a 3rd party app store would leave a massive hole in ios' securetiy. oh and thanks for reminding me, the kindle app is still on ios.

you were wrong on hlaf your sources so logic and reasoning.....meh

no they shouldnt have the right to sell what they want, they should obey the laws that are set out by the powers that be and here is the point your missing, apple are not the market leader in the mobile os market and therefore have that choice. google on the other hand dosnt. it is the market leader and therefore it cant ban apps that compete with products it offers. its not rocket since really. amazon is the largest online retailer in the world by revenue and its by some margin it was recent valued higher than walmart.....thats why they have lost the right to sell what they want

1 they didnt ban the hmv app they should not have let it through in the first place, thats been a long standing part of the developer agreement, and its not about competition its about piracy

What? How did you get to the conclusion that it's about piracy? The App Store Guidelines were even quoted in the article and they said "Apps using IAP to purchase physical goods or goods and services used outside of the application will be rejected". Apple did not want any competitors to iTunes (the music store) on iOS and therefore banned them all. And "they shouldn't have let it though in the first place" is a silly excuse, as if banning something after selling it for a little while is worse than banning it straight away.

2 they didnt ban the radio app they stopped advertising them, read your own source.

Read the source.

"Then we received an email from our marketing agency saying that it was against their policy to advertise competing services."

Now you're trying to argue semantics like "oh they didn't ban the app they banned the advertisements for it". Is it a coincident that they banned it fairly shortly before they launched their own music streaming service in the UK? Maybe, but probably not.

3 again banning people from mentioning and therefore advertising other products not the app itself.

Knowing what smartwatch an app is compatible with is kind of important you know. The effect was that anyone with a Pebble could not see which apps worked with it. This happened just after the Apple Watch was announced as well. Coincident? No way...

Like with the bloom.fm ad, it's not 100% the same as what is happening right here but it is evidence that Apple has crippled competitors in their own app store.

4 the rest is used to and memories.

Oh look now it's not from memory anymore.

5 Amazons app store piggybacked of android and the amazon tablets use a version of android for there OS. why on earth would they need an ios app? not to metnion that allowinf a 3rd party app store would leave a massive hole in ios' securetiy. oh and thanks for reminding me, the kindle app is still on ios.

"Why on Earth would they need an iOS app" is a really lame excuse you know. Imagine if I had used that excuse to try and rationalize Amazon's bad decision to ban the Apple TV and Chromecast.

"Why on Earth would you need to buy the Apple TV and Chromecast on Amazon?". See how little sense that excuse makes?

There are lots of ways Apple could prevent a "massive hole" in iOS's security and still allow third party stores.

no they shouldnt have the right to sell what they want, they should obey the laws that are set out by the powers that be and here is the point your missing, apple are not the market leader in the mobile os market and therefore have that choice. google on the other hand dosnt. it is the market leader and therefore it cant ban apps that compete with products it offers. its not rocket since really. amazon is the largest online retailer in the world by revenue and its by some margin it was recent valued higher than walmart.....thats why they have lost the right to sell what they want

Apple IS the market leader in the mobile OS market. Is Apple not the "largest online retailer of software in the world by revenue"?

So what you are saying is that because Amazon is the largest retailer in the world by revenue (They aren't, Walmart is with 486 billion dollars during 2014 against Amazon's 89 billion dollars in 2014) they should not be allowed to reject products from being sold on their website.

Why do you not hold Apple to the same standard? They are the biggest software retailer both by revenue and profit and yet you give them a free pass to reject anything they want. How come Apple doesn't lose the right to sell whatever they want despite them being the biggest?

-snip-

i had to lol, seriously out loud.  from trying to back track when you get proven wrong by your own source to glossing over the glaring faults like why amazon would need there own app store, in another app store. then to cap it off you miss quote me whilst quoting me! then you try to base it all on revenue alone glossing over market share....googles market share is 75% apples is 18%...its not evean close. amazon has the single biggest market share at 23% of the ONLINE (because you missed it last time) retail space bigger than any other retailer including wallmart.

but hey you just keep on hating........apple those little devils!

oh and dont bother replying.....i have better things to do with my time and i wont see it anyway *updates ignore list....again*

If Apple can ban Bose and Fitbit in favor of their beats and Apple watch simply cause it's their store, why Amazon shouldn't be able to do the same?

I could be wrong, however I think the biggest controversy here is, that Amazon has told it's retailers not to sell them anymore, basically prohibiting them from doing so. To me that sounds like competitive distortion more than anything. It's different to Apple for instance, because Amazon is a retailer network, not everything is being sold by Amazon. 

In the case of of Apple, and it's Apple Store/retail department, everything is being controlled by Apple themselfes. There are no other retailer, that sell their goods. You can compare Amazon to a retail fair and Apple (Stores) like a small shop. Apple sold Bose and Fitbit as a complimentary product, because Apple hadn't anything to offer their customers to that regard, which chaged with the buyout of Beats and their release of the Apple Watch. However Apple is also offering UE products, and not just Beats exclusively.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

i had to lol, seriously out loud.  from trying to back track when you get proven wrong by your own source to glossing over the glaring faults like why amazon would need there own app store, in another app store. then to cap it off you miss quote me whilst quoting me! then you try to base it all on revenue alone glossing over market share....googles market share is 75% apples is 18%...its not evean close. amazon has the single biggest market share at 23% of the ONLINE (because you missed it last time) retail space bigger than any other retailer including wallmart.

oh and dont bother replying.....i have better things to do with my time and i wont see it anyway *updates ignore list....again*

The entire argument boils down to - Amazon doesn't have to sell competitor's products on their own store BUT other companies operate stores through their marketplace and telling them they cannot sell competitor products in their store is anti-competitive due to the market share size of Amazon as a marketplace. 

Meanwhile Apple has a single app store which every app must be licensed through them. So it is an entirely different situation and comparable to any physical store one might walk in to. They own the store and license the products being sold in their store so they have full control over what is sold.

Honestly it takes a strong ignorance and hatred to bring up Apple at all

Please explain to me how I am backtracking. You were the one who said

amazon is the largest online retailer in the world by revenue and its by some margin it was recent valued higher than walmart.....thats why they have lost the right to sell what they want

By the same logic, Apple should lose the right to sell what they want in the app store because they are the biggest software retailer in the world by revenue. Google might be bigger in terms of marketshare, but not revenue. Do you how the situations are exactly the same (except one is hardware and the other is software) and yet you defend Apple and slam Amazon? You either slam neither of them or both. Personally I will call both of them bad,

Oh and great response. Add me to the ignore list when I prove your hypocrisy.

The entire argument boils down to - Amazon doesn't have to sell competitor's products on their own store BUT other companies operate stores through their marketplace and telling them they cannot sell competitor products in their store is anti-competitive due to the market share size of Amazon as a marketplace. 

Meanwhile Apple has a single app store which every app must be licensed through them. So it is an entirely different situation and comparable to any physical store one might walk in to. They own the store and license the products being sold in their store so they have full control over what is sold.

Honestly it takes a strong ignorance and hatred to bring up Apple at all

There are companies that operate through Apple's marketplace as well. For example Apple tells developers what they can and can't sell in their own apps (such as porn, and I believe there is also a limit on how big microtransactions can be but don't quote me on that), just like Amazon is now telling people who are selling things through Amazon what they can and can't sell.