Amazon Will Ban Sale of Apple TV and Google’s Chromecast

jos

I could see amazon not selling them, but also banning 3rd party retailers from selling them is way too far.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

"yeah so X should sell Y's product" - err no. apple and google are not retailers, there primary business is not point of sale and in that market they are nowhere near big enough for it to matter.

post-217715-0-51825000-1443895515_thumb.

post-217715-0-81933300-1443895533.jpg

They make almost all of their money buy sell products.

Hmmm...

Every one saying that this is anti competitive. 

By that logic, why isn't Apple selling ASUS, TOSHIBA, and Acer products in their stores?

You have to remember it is THEIR store, and they can sell what they want.

Following the same logic, Carey Holzman, I, and others would be in jail for not using ASRock, or MSI products.

And by your logic Google could decline to list their competitors on the search results but the last time they actually tried to mess with those listings they still got an antitrust lawsuit against them.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

And by your logic Google could decline to list their competitors on the search results but the last time they actually tried to mess with those listings they still got an antitrust lawsuit against them.

Hey!

They already do that!

And that was in the UK! Not America!

Hey!

They already do that!

And that was in the UK! Not America!

Yes and they're getting sued for it, Amazon by virtue of having European stores are also subject to European investigations and anti-trust laws.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Yes and they're getting sued for it, Amazon by virtue of having European stores are also subject to European investigations and anti-trust laws.

Except they aren't, because Amazon is a MARKETPLACE which allows for this kind of behavior. If the were a RETAILER than this would be anti-competitive.

Also, they are banning the sale of media devices that aren't compatible with APIV, which is a guideline for selling now.

Except they aren't, because Amazon is a MARKETPLACE which allows for this kind of behavior. If the were a RETAILER than this would be anti-competitive.

Also, they are banning the sale of media devices that aren't compatible with APIV, which is a guideline for selling now.

Amazon is a retailer, a marketplace, and also a producer of devices that compete with the apple tv and the chromecast. In fact, they are one of the top 10 retailers in the world and by this action they are abusing their market position in an anti-competitive manner. Whether they do this with a guideline doesn't change anything.

And Apple's and Google's own stores are not comparable or related at all.

"anti-competitive" I literally laughed.

Go tell Microsoft they need to sell Macs on their website then. Go on.

Your retarded

MS STORE

APPLE STORE

Google Store

SELL ONLY THEIR BRAND

AMAZON SELLS EVERYTHING FROM ALL BRANDS.

IF amazon only sold AMAZON stuff then nobody would care but

they are a market place.

please think before you open your retarded mouth. 

You should better laugh at your own inability to differentiate between a company that sells their products themselves as one way of distribution and a company that is, first and foremost, one of the biggest retailers in the world and tries to use their dominance in one sector, retailing, to gain an advantage in another sector by exceptionally limiting their competitors products.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-10-03_14-04-51.png

attachicon.gifbayshore_hero.jpg

They make almost all of their money buy sell products.

yes but they are still not a point of sale retailer.......apple has a few stores but its not where the most of there sales come from. you seam to be missing the point

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

There is certainly no need for amazon to subsidize their competitors shipping, shipping insurance and tracking costs through prime either.

Hmmm...

Every one saying that this is anti competitive. 

By that logic, why isn't Apple selling ASUS, TOSHIBA, and Acer products in their stores?

You have to remember it is THEIR store, and they can sell what they want.

Following the same logic, Carey Holzman, I, and others would be in jail for not using ASRock, or MSI products.

the same rules don't apply to them companies, its like if a supermarket like Tesco (or Wal-Mart?) It's like Tesco not selling any other ice cream products like Cadburys so its "Tesco's own" ice cream gets more sales

Given how difficult they have made it to use their own Amazon Prime legitimately with open source software like Kodi through DRM, it's unsurprising that they are going after Apple and Google. It's laughable that they think this will have an impact, funny that they are limiting their own penetration through trying to restrict the means by which people access their service, and frustrating because they are removing value from a service that was otherwise quite enticing.

Evidently they firmly believe that their value is in the product and not in the £100 pa service that comes along with it.

As for antitrust... ehh if the EU can decide that Microsoft is being anti-competitive for including only their own browser on their OS, then nothing would surprise me at this point.

Some of Amazon's business decisions have been a bit questionable lately but this takes it too far.

The EU will almost certainly take issue with this decision. As an open marketplace they cannot limit what can and cannot be sold if it stands to encourage the purchase of their own products.

Your retarded

MS STORE

APPLE STORE

Google Store

SELL ONLY THEIR BRAND

AMAZON SELLS EVERYTHING FROM ALL BRANDS.

IF amazon only sold AMAZON stuff then nobody would care but

they are a market place.

please think before you open your retarded mouth.

1) They don't only sell their brand of products. You can find Wacom tablets, GoPro cameras, Nest cameras and other stuff in Apple's stores for example.

2) Apple's and Google's app stores sell things from other brands but they are still allowed to deny apps on their stores. What Amazon is doing here is pretty much exactly the same as what Apple has done on the app store for years now.

I think it's a dick move by Amazon, but it's no more of a dick move than what Apple has been doing with their app store.

Amazon can choose what they want to sell in their store. The same way a car manufacturer can choose to stop making a car because everyone is buying their competitor's car. Refusing to sell a certain product is NOT anti-competitive.

Check wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-competitive_practices

EDIT: I don't think they should stop selling Apple and Google products, but they are within their rights to.

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

Some of Amazon's business decisions have been a bit questionable lately but this takes it too far.

The EU will almost certainly take issue with this decision. As an open marketplace they cannot limit what can and cannot be sold if it stands to encourage the purchase of their own products.

Why can't they limit what can be sold on their website? There are already several things you cant buy on Amazon - cars, planes, boats, houses etc.

Why can't they limit what can be sold on their website? There are already several things you cant buy on Amazon - cars, planes, boats, houses etc.

There is no issue with them not selling the items themselves but Amazon is a marketplace. A lot of items actually come from 3rd-party sellers.

Imagine if eBay brought out a smartphone and then said they would no longer allow the sale of other smartphones on eBay. That is anti-competitive and this is the same. Amazon is the largest online marketplace in the world and as such has a requirement to keep things fair.

If Amazon only sold items itself through Amazon then there wouldn't be an issue, as many people have stated its a shops right to stock what they want but when they allowed 3rd-party sellers that all changes and excluding entire categories is fine but you cannot exclude a few items to help promote your own.

The Bloomberg article says

The Seattle-based Web retailer sent an e-mail to its marketplace sellers that it will stop selling the Apple TV and Google’s Chromecast

I'm a marketplace seller. Where's my email?

It then says

No new listings for the products will be allowed

but I just tried, and it would let me.

Has anybody actually seen this supposed email? All news stories refer the the Bloomberg article, which doesn't have the email either.

All I'm saying is I'm a little suspicious.

I'm a marketplace seller. Where's my email?

I assume they would only send the email to sellers actually selling the affected products.

If it wasn't true don't you think Amazon would have released a statement saying that by now?

The article also says: 

Amazon to pull existing Apple, Google inventory on Oct. 29

So I guess you will get your confirmation then.

I assume they would only send the email to sellers actually selling the affected products.

If it wasn't true don't you think Amazon would have released a statement saying that by now?

The article also says:

So I guess you will get your confirmation then.

What is the source of the article?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

that just stupid. There goes Amazon rep.

I'll laugh if someone rich guy buys a ton apple tvs and chromecasts from amazon. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.