Apple now rejecting apps that mention other platforms

r3bify

Source: getpebble.com

Apple is now rejecting app submissions to their App Store that contain references to other platforms in the description and/or metadata.

The following quote is from Steve's post on the GetPebble forums

From Apple

3.1 - Apps or metadata that mentions the name of any other mobile platform will be rejected
3.1 Details
We noticed that your app or its metadata contains irrelevant platform information in the app. Providing future platform compatibility plans, or other platform references, is not appropriate for the App Store.
Specifically, your app and app description declare support for thePebble Smartwatch.
Next Steps
Please remove any instances of this information from your app and its marketing materials, including the Application Description, What's New info, Previews and screenshots.
Since your iTunes Connect Application State is Rejected, a new binary will be required. Make the desired metadata changes when you upload the new binary.
NOTE: Please be sure to make any metadata changes to all App Localizations by selecting each specific localization and making appropriate changes.

I have bolded the important parts. Basically, if you want to have an app on the App Store, you can't reference any other platforms in your apps description, metadata, or even marketing material. How are people supposed to know what platforms you support unless you tell them? 

I could understand if it was a choice that Apple made based on choosing to explicitly not support their platform, however this rejection, ironically, was served when the developer attempted to add Apple Watch support to their app.

Steve again, from the comments:

We tried an appeal and they came back asking us to remove the portion of our app description that refers to the Pebble Smartwatch. The real irony is, we submitted the new version of SeaNav specifically to add new Apple Watch support!

In other news, grass is green. Typical Apple, huh...  :rolleyes:

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

apple is sitting on its ass. waiting for steve jobs to come back to life

doing ullshit stuff like this

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is really fucking arrogant....

Apart from this Pebble "platform", stuff like "Also works on Android!" or "Play with your friends across platforms!" and "Sync's to Windows" are all now excluded.....

You can't even properly describe your app with this kind of bull shit

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Apple needs to die.

I like apple but, this seems really backwards. I have thought they were making strives to a more open system. They let the google apps in etc.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Surely this calls for some sort of anti-monopoly / trust ruling.. They are forcing people that use one of their products to stick with their environment in effect.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

apple is sitting on its ass. waiting for steve jobs to come back to life

doing ullshit stuff like this

This is actually 100% Steve Jobs' style of doing things. People need to realize he didn't make Apple stuff magically good, he made it sell. And honestly Cook is doing a great job of that, just look at the sales of the Apple Watch, which would have been completely unmarketable for any other company.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Surely this calls for some sort of anti-monopoly / trust ruling.. They are forcing people that use one of their products to stick with their environment in effect.

That's what they have been doing for the last 10 years... nobody seemed to care much. Or stop buying from them.

-edit-

Nvidia is doing the same now that I think about it. Sales have never been higher for them.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This is actually 100% Steve Jobs' style of doing things. People need to realize he didn't make Apple stuff magically good, he made it sell. And honestly Cook is doing a great job of that, just look at the sales of the Apple Watch, which would have been completely unmarketable for any other company.

I wasn't serious.  tbh there are a few things going wrong here and there. but this is just dumb. there is a limit to how mad you should go with your companie. this is too far.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

there is a limit to how mad you should go with your companie. this is too far.

Personally I think they reached that limit a loooong time ago ^^

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's time for Apple to die

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

So does that mean that the official Pebble app is no longer valid on Apple Store?

Essentially meaning Pebble is no longer compatible with iOS.

That is the basis of an anti-trust lawsuit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

So if I have an app which says "Available for IOS and Android" it will get rejected from the Apple store?

Good job Apple!

This is so fucking dumb.Seriously? Removing the Pebble app which allows iPhones to communicate with a Pebble?Or did I misread?

Jeez.

So ridiculous.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

That's what they have been doing for the last 10 years... nobody seemed to care much. Or stop buying from them.

-edit-

Nvidia is doing the same now that I think about it. Sales have never been higher for them.

What are nvidia doing? very different situation there. I'm not talking about market share, it's the restriction on their platform.. eg google with using it's other sevices first in search results.. Or microsoft with MIE... You can use an Nvidia card in any pc or any Nvidia co-developed game on an AMD card and so on.

-edit-

How is what Nvidia is doing similar to this?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

What are nvidia doing? very different situation there. I'm not talking about market share, it's the restriction on their platform.. eg google with using it's other sevices first in search results.. Or microsoft with MIE... You can use an Nvidia card in any pc or any Nvidia co-developed game on an AMD card and so on.

I was referring to g-sync in particular, as if you buy a g-sync monitor and plan to use it in the future you'll be forced to buy an nvidia gpu. Another (smaller) example would be new drivers locking out physx if you own an AMD card and are trying to use an nvidia gpu (which somebody at some point bought, too) as a dedicated physics processor. I only mentioned marketshare to say that nobody seems to care much, so it's unlikely they will for Apple or anyone else.

@Nineshadow

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I was referring to g-sync in particular, as if you buy a g-sync monitor and plan to use it in the future you'll be forced to buy an nvidia gpu. Another (smaller) example would be new drivers locking out physx if you own an AMD card and are trying to use an nvidia gpu (which somebody at some point bought, too) as a dedicated physics processor. I only mentioned marketshare to say that nobody seems to care much, so it's unlikely they will for Apple or anyone else.

@Nineshadow

Completely different. G-Sync monitors are alongside feature parity monitors. G-Sync is a Nvidia feature.

It'd be more like if Apple added new functionality to iTunes and stopped Pebble supporting iTunes music control.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

So if I have an app which says "Available for IOS and Android" it will get rejected from the Apple store?

Good job Apple!

This is so fucking dumb.Seriously? Removing the Pebble app which allows iPhones to communicate with a Pebble?Or did I misread? 

Worse than that.. The app to connect to a pebble isn't allowed to reference pebble.

@Nineshadow

You can use a G-sync monitor on AMD card.. you just lose the G-sync features... Totally different situation.

@Nineshadow

No,it's not the same.

What Apple is doing is totally ridiculous. Let's say you own an Nvidia card and Nvidia would do something like Apple did now. What would happen? Well...I guess you couldn't run any game that has ANY mention of AMD at all. ANY mention of AMD.Any AMD content(libraries, technologies,etc).

G-sync is an Nvidia feature that they decided to keep for themselves. You can relate to Apple by why they didn't let other manufacturers make IOS devices.

Not to mention they still work as monitors, even without G-sync, if you have an AMD card.

Well pebble didn't release a WP app because they didn't like MS IIRC

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Worse than that.. The app to connect to a pebble isn't allowed to reference pebble.

Yup, exactly.

Yeah let's put spikes, high voltage and snipers on the perimeters of our walled garden! That will keep folks here....and others not inside out as well mind you but who cares, more moneys!

-------

Current Rig

-------