Budget Mini ITX Gaming Rig (Need quick reply as rebates will expire midnight tonight... Sorry!) :(

alazar14

Hi all, I am going to start off by saying I'm sorry, but I need a response within a few hours as most of the rebates that I am trying to claim will expire at the end of the night (need to order in the next few hours).

My ideas so far are the following

RVZ01 (Mini ITX) Build vs Coolermaster N200 Micro ATX Build

Besides the case cost difference - (RVZ01 More expensive by) $45

PSU Cost Difference - (RVZ01 more expensive by)$30 

and CD/DVD Drive Difference (RVZ01 more expensive by)$20 

The only real difference between both builds will be the MOBO and the CPU. 

If I go with the N200 I plan to use the FX 8350 ($165) with the ASRock Micro ATX DDR3 1066 Motherboards 970M PRO3 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TOBQQTK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_4&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If I go with the RVZ01 I was planning on running something like an Intel i3 4170 ($115) alongside a Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150

Both would be using stock cooler, a 240 GB SSD (Kingston) 8 GB of DDR3 1600 speed Tactical RAM, and a 1 TB WD 7200 3.5. / Windows 8.1

The GPU I will be using for this build is an R7 265X  (Not planning to upgrade beyond $180 GPU at any time in the future). 

The cost for both builds ends up being close enough that what I am really concerned about is the price for performance / best gaming deal. So ultimately it comes down to MOBO and CPU. 

Which do you think I should buy for a mid range gaming PC primarily playing games like Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 3, Battlefield 4, FFXIV, and GTA V. Should I go with the i3 4170 or the FX 8350 build? 

(For a while I was considering the i5 4690k, then realized I would never really use its full potential given that I just don't feel comfortable spending more than $180 on a GPU). 

Thanks! Looking forward to your replies! 

i3 4170. I used to have an FX 6300 and I sold it as fast as I could and upgraded to my current i3. The upgrade path is much better.

go with the i3 as you have a better upgrade path. If you're not upgrading the i3 in the future you're wasting money with a Z97 board

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Sounds like most folks are leaning towards the i3, that is also what I was leaning towards as well. Thanks! 

I would go with the AMD due to GTA V likes 8 cores.

No, no it does not. 

http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1911-gta-v-cpu-benchmark-4790k-3570k-9590-more

http://i.imgur.com/s1Em8AI.jpg

@alazar14 Go with the i3. I have the FX 8320, and the Intel G3258, and my G3258 out performs the 8320 in Guild Wars 2. IPC and single threaded performance means a lot more in MMO's. If you have not purchased that GPU yet, a GTX 950 might be a good deal if you can get one cheap enough, seeing as Witcher 3 is an Nvidia title, and might run a tad smoother. Other than that, good luck on your build.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

No, no it does not. 

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1911-gta-v-cpu-benchmark-4790k-3570k-9590-more

@alazar14 Go with the i3. I have the FX 8320, and the Intel G3258, and my G3258 out performs the 8320 in Guild Wars 2. IPC and single threaded performance means a lot more in MMO's. If you have not purchased that GPU yet, a GTX 950 might be a good deal if you can get one cheap enough, seeing as Witcher 3 is an Nvidia title, and might run a tad smoother. Other than that, good luck on your build.

????

????

You said GTA 5 likes 8 cores. It does not. Beyond 4 cores, GTA 5 just does not care. Telling him to get 8 cores because of GTA 5 is not the best thing to do. It will not help him in that scenario.

for $180 get a 380

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

No, no it does not. 

Wish I could, but I bought that GPU months ago, its just sitting in my old desktop right now waiting to be put in this new build. 

Wish I could, but I bought that GPU months ago, its just sitting in my old desktop right now waiting to be put in this new build. 

what all have you purchased already? and how much do you have left to budget in for this build? I might be able to offer alternative options, and find some extra performance somewhere

what all have you purchased already? and how much do you have left to budget in for this build? I might be able to offer alternative options, and find some extra performance somewhere

I would like to spend no more than $550 total, but that would have to include the OS as well (I don't have a copy of Windows that I can use atm). 

As of right now I am looking at a build that will cost me about $542 (Close to $600 with tax). I chose to buy at amazon and New egg due to cheap or free shipping and or exclusive offers I found on these websites. I compared on PC Part Picker with other sites, and ultimately the cost would have been the same when you factored in shipping. 

Parts are:

i3 4170 - $120 

Windows 8.1 $99

Gigabyte LGA 1150 Intel Z97N IWi-Fi-Bluetooth HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-Z97N-WIFI - $108 (After Rebate)

DVD Drive with additional Sata Cable ($22)

240 GB SSD $70

WD Blue 1TB 7200 - $53

New Case Idea (Money saver): Elite 130 - $35 (After rebate)

New PSU Idea (Money saver): CX 500w $35 (after rebate)

Total so far: 

Already own / Have at home

8 GB Crucial Tactical 

R7 265X 

I am also 100% dead set on Mini ITX. 

I would like to spend no more than $550 total, but that would have to include the OS as well (I don't have a copy of Windows that I can use atm). 

As of right now I am looking at a build that will cost me about $542 (Close to $600 with tax). I chose to buy at amazon and New egg due to cheap or free shipping and or exclusive offers I found on these websites. I compared on PC Part Picker with other sites, and ultimately the cost would have been the same when you factored in shipping. 

Parts are:

i3 4170 - $120 

Windows 8.1 $99

Gigabyte LGA 1150 Intel Z97N IWi-Fi-Bluetooth HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-Z97N-WIFI - $108 (After Rebate)

DVD Drive with additional Sata Cable ($22)

240 GB SSD $70

WD Blue 1TB 7200 - $53

New Case Idea (Money saver): Elite 130 - $35 (After rebate)

New PSU Idea (Money saver): CX 500w $35 (after rebate)

Total so far: 

Already own / Have at home

8 GB Crucial Tactical 

R7 265X 

I am also 100% dead set on Mini ITX. 

Alright, got an option for ya so far. It's slightly over your budget, but will last longer than an i3.

Haswell i5 build ($572 after rebates)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ Trion 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($68.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($102.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $571.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-01 01:07 EDT-0400

It can easily be cooled using the normal stock cooler, so you don't have to worry about heat still, even in an ITX case. This i5 will last quite a while, and won't bottleneck even the $500 GPU's (i know you wont spend $200 on a GPU, but it should ease your mind knowing you can spend well beyond that without this CPU holding you back). 

Good luck on your build by the way, and have fun building it. I really love building ITX machines, just be mindful of the confined space, and take time to breath before you get frustrated.

Alright, got an option for ya so far. It's slightly over your budget, but will last longer than an i3.

Haswell i5 build ($572 after rebates)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ Trion 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($68.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($102.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $571.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-01 01:07 EDT-0400

It can easily be cooled using the normal stock cooler, so you don't have to worry about heat still, even in an ITX case. This i5 will last quite a while, and won't bottleneck even the $500 GPU's (i know you wont spend $200 on a GPU, but it should ease your mind knowing you can spend well beyond that without this CPU holding you back). 

Good luck on your build by the way, and have fun building it. I really love building ITX machines, just be mindful of the confined space, and take time to breath before you get frustrated.

Wow! That's a nice build! Is the i5 significantly better than the I3? Also, is it not preferable to buy a MOBO that supports higher speed ram? 

Thanks!!! 

Wow! That's a nice build! Is the i5 significantly better than the I3? Also, is it not preferable to buy a MOBO that supports higher speed ram? 

Thanks!!! 

In regards to your memory question, not really. These locked (Non-K) CPU's have weaker memory controllers than their unlocked (K) brothers. You won't really be overclocking the memory much at all with these. You can spend the extra on a Z97 board if you want, and try to get that extra little bit of memory speed, but the difference between 1600mhz and 2400mhz in gaming on a dGPU is not significant enough to warrant that kind of purchase. If you want more information in regards to memory speed, and FPS, read this thread on OCN: http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/an-independent-study-does-the-speed-of-ram-directly-affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios

Now, in regards to your i3 vs i5 question, here is a great comparison.

The 4690k in this video was left at stock clock speeds, so you can still expect quite a difference in performance when comparing the i5 i linked above, to the i3. 

Remember, 4 cores/4 threads are better than 2 cores/4 threads. Hyperthreading is great, but it's not exactly magic.