Intel Allegedly Upping Its Core Counts in 'Cannonlake'

HKZeroFive

Why can't it be 2017 already Q.Q

Lol, buy a used sandy bridge quadcore, oc it a bit and pretend it is....

jesus fucking christ

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I'd go for 8 core mainstream processors

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I really hope people don't consider this to be a fact. It could just be an engineer working on the -E SKU's. If Intel brings more cores to the normal consumer platform, they will completely void the point of the enthusiast/workstation platform. 

LGA2012 or whatever will have far more PCIe lanes. That's one big reason to get that over their consumer platform. If they wanted another reason they could bring back triple channel or quad channel RAM as well (don't know what LGA 2011 uses).

intel and their names lol

Sky lake

Cannon lake

Pirate Lake

Arr mate

inb4 Intel Lake

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

LGA2012 or whatever will have far more PCIe lanes. That's one big reason to get that over their consumer platform. If they wanted another reason they could bring back triple channel or quad channel RAM as well (don't know what LGA 2011 uses).

2011 is quad-channel.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

COMING FALL 2020 you had the lakes now you got THE OCEAN MUTHA FUCKERS!  Imagine the power of sky ocean, unicorn ocean, and even the rainbow ocean extreme processors.

I was not prepared for this line.  Coworkers are now looking at me wondering why I am choking on my water while laughing.

Dual cores need to go the way of the dinosaurs damnit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

intel and their names lol

Sky lake

Cannon lake

Pirate Lake

Arr mate

ef630167b3.gif

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

I could see mainstream possibly getting six-cores and a few extra lanes, and then six cores in the enthusiast having far more lanes, eight cores in the **30k category, and ten or twelve extreme editions with quad channel support remaining in enthusiast, or perhaps them upping to six-channel after Skylake-E and mainstream adopting quad channel?  Who knows.  Definitely taking it with a grain of salt.  If Intel did do this--they probably believe core utilization will go up.  Can only hope.

Dual cores need to go the way of the dinosaurs damnit.

You mean, become extinct, then found by a crazy scientist that extracts their essence and opens a park designed around their concept? I am not sure that is the best course of action. Unless it nets us another Chris Pratt movie, then sure, i'm all for it.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

WTF is a Cannonlake?

Is it a lake filled with Cannonballs?

It's the lake in the promotional picture on all of Canon's cameras.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

You mean, become extinct, then found by a crazy scientist that extracts their essence and opens a park designed around their concept? I am not sure that is the best course of action. Unless it nets us another Chris Pratt movie, then sure, i'm all for it.

......Damn you.

......Damn you.

In all seriousness, i do think dual cores still have a purpose, just not in the consumer grade desktop market. I think businesses and hospitals should go with a smaller embedded solution (NUC/Pico size) computers just for the mobility, and to save space. Run low powered dual cores in these things so they can be easily passively cooled and not make any noise, and also be super light to carry around, instead of attaching them to carts in each individual room. Can remote connect to them through tablets or smart phones, and have a local NAS to store the data. I spend a lot of time in hospitals, and often question why they have these semi-bulky boxes on these carts with monitors, taking up space. 

But yeah, aside from mobile, and those super tiny embedded systems, Dual cores for the general consumer should probably just be done away with. At the very least, they should be done like i3's, where they are dual cores, but can handle extra threads with SMT. Celerons, Pentiums, these should be reserved for low power laptops/netbooks, and Atoms for embedded systems/extreme mobile devices. That being said, i have seen low powered quad core Atoms around, so maybe dual core might even be phased out in that market too. 

On the opposite side of the spectrum, i wonder how long until the general consumer will actually be able to take advantage of more than 4 cores/8 threads? Outside of heavy compression, i've personally never felt the need to have more cores, but every other person on this forum seems to get disappointed every time a new Intel product is launched without adding more cores into the mix. Am i missing a memo or something?

WTF is a Cannonlake?

Is it a lake filled with Cannonballs?

Cannonlake is to cannons what Skylake is to skies.

And what Kaby Lake is to …Kabies?  :huh:

Its the E platform. Until AMD makes competition you wont see 4 physical core i3, 6 core i5 and 8 core i7 hyperthreaded, which is what we should have had today but instead they put the transistors on the idling gpu and sold it to you anyway, so you now have the same cpu i5 4 core+ iGPU for example since sandy bridge at the price of what it should have been an i5 6 core without iGPU.

If that makes sense for you.

In all seriousness, i do think dual cores still have a purpose, just not in the consumer grade desktop market. I think businesses and hospitals should go with a smaller embedded solution (NUC/Pico size) computers just for the mobility, and to save space. Run low powered dual cores in these things so they can be easily passively cooled and not make any noise, and also be super light to carry around, instead of attaching them to carts in each individual room. Can remote connect to them through tablets or smart phones, and have a local NAS to store the data. I spend a lot of time in hospitals, and often question why they have these semi-bulky boxes on these carts with monitors, taking up space. 

But yeah, aside from mobile, and those super tiny embedded systems, Dual cores for the general consumer should probably just be done away with. At the very least, they should be done like i3's, where they are dual cores, but can handle extra threads with SMT. Celerons, Pentiums, these should be reserved for low power laptops/netbooks, and Atoms for embedded systems/extreme mobile devices. That being said, i have seen low powered quad core Atoms around, so maybe dual core might even be phased out in that market too. 

On the opposite side of the spectrum, i wonder how long until the general consumer will actually be able to take advantage of more than 4 cores/8 threads? Outside of heavy compression, i've personally never felt the need to have more cores, but every other person on this forum seems to get disappointed every time a new Intel product is launched without adding more cores into the mix. Am i missing a memo or something?

I know, but I would like to see games start using multiple cores.

I know, but I would like to see games start using multiple cores.

I think the entire forum is with you on this one, buddy. I feel MMO's need to start taking advantage of more than 2 cores more than any genre. Most MMO's cater to the lowest hardware requirements in order to have the largest audience (more players means more people to probably purchase subscriptions or in-game store items, means more potential money) but it holds even the strongest hardware back. Now people with highly OC'd i7's lag just as bad as people with low end Pentiums. 

Guild Wars 2 is a great example of this. No matter how much hardware you throw at it, you will always lag at a large boss fight. Even if you lower graphic settings, you will still lag. Seeing as my GPU is hardly touched in the game, it is easy to see its based on the CPU, and the way the game was coded to handle the logic and AI. If they would leverage more cores to handle different tasks, it would be better all around. In GW2, my brothers GTX 970 and 4690k lags just as bad as my G3258 and GTX 770, and even that lags just as bad as my A10 4600m laptop. Here's to hoping the DX12 rumors were true, and we start seeing DX12 MMO's removing the CPU overhead.

Pentium = 2 core, i3 = 3 core, i5 = 4 core, i7 = 6 core.

It would make more sense too.

Yeah, And the extreme edition 8 core.. (also hyperthreading on the i5 and i3 and. but the i3 wont be 3 core. Intel HAS never dont that, most likely 4.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

I was not prepared for this line.  Coworkers are now looking at me wondering why I am choking on my water while laughing.

Mission success!

thumbs-up-you-dirty-mind_o_4662485.jpg

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

6fc.jpg

Here is a sneak peak at the next gen CPU's

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Guys think about Quad Core Pentium OCable. That would kill Athlon X4 series.

Mission success!

-snip-

I scrolled down to this right as my boss walked around behind me.  STOP IT!!!   You are going to get me fired......If these stop being funny!!!!  

Cannonlake is to cannons what Skylake is to skies.

And what Kaby Lake is to …Kabies?  :huh:

I think Intel names their stuff after obscure real-life locations. For example, there's a Cannon Lake in Minnesota and a Devil's Canyon in Oklahoma.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.