Why do people hate on Mac's?

Dathtom

I honestly don't think Apple is even trying to target macs at people like us. Part of a reason a person would want to own a mac is a sense of security. If I go and buy a mac from the Apple Store, and I have issues with it, I can just drive up there and they'll fix it for me within an hour. If you have a laptop from any of the major PC manufacturers you have to deal with sending it back and all that. Apple really isn't charging that much for the computer, they're charging for the experience.

I honestly don't think Apple is even trying to target macs at people like us. Part of a reason a person would want to own a mac is a sense of security. If I go and buy a mac from the Apple Store, and I have issues with it, I can just drive up there and they'll fix it for me within an hour. If you have a laptop from any of the major PC manufacturers you have to deal with sending it back and all that. Apple really isn't charging that much for the computer, they're charging for the experience.
Apple doesn't fix, they replace.

That's even better :P

It's not to say that they don't have any power... Saying something is "underpowered' is relative to the price. If you saw a $400 machine with a GTX 660 Ti you'd say wow that little thing is powerful' date=' but you'd say it was very underpowered if it were a $4000 machine right? At the price Apple charges, you could get the same performance from a laptop in a much lower price bracket. And against the PCs in its own price bracket, it gets severely outperformed. If they halved the price of the MacBook Pros then they might be competitive from a performance standpoint. Example: My laptop has an Intel Core i7-3630QM (2.4GHz), 8GB of DDR3 1600, a GeForce GT 650M, and a 1TB 5400RPM hard drive stock (swapped with an SSD, but that's what it came with). It cost $729 straight from the manufacturer's website with student discount. I have had no issues with build quality etc. It's a great machine. A MacBook Pro 15" has an Intel Core i7-3615QM (2.3GHz), 8GB of DDR3 1600, a GeForce GT 650M, and a 1TB 5400RPM hard drive. Essentially identical specs. The cost? $1800 straight from the manufacturer's website. $1700 with student discount. Considering the performance of other $1800 machines, yes it's underpowered, it's $1800 and performs like an $800 machine. I'll give the MBP one advantage though, it has a better display. My laptop has a 1366x768 TN panel, this doesn't bother me though, I bought it knowing I would use an external monitor when I'm at home, so the display was not a big factor for me. Supposing I did care about the display though... Considering the equivalent specs and better screen compared to my $729 machine, I'd say if the 15" MBP were priced at $1000, I might consider it a reasonable option at the very least.[/quote']

Sorry, correction. I was doing the specs of the MBP from memory, I guess I messed it up. It actually comes with 4GB DDR3 1600 and a 500GB 5400RPM hard drive stock for $1800. To get 8GB and 1TB the upgrades would put the price at $2200.

Also the GT 650M in the MBP has 512MB of GDDR5 whereas mine has 2GB. It would never be able to drive the graphics that would be able to use 2GB of course but on the flip side 512MB is kind of stretching things... To upgrade to 1GB of GDDR5, Apple forces you to upgrade the processor and graphics together for $200.

I used to hate macs, but one day my parents bought a macbook pro for me as a birthday present, as i was needing a laptop.

At first, I just wanted to sell it and get another windows laptop, but as i started using it, I really liked it.

I know actually like macbooks a lot, they are great for school, and my programming tasks and i use it as well to keep my photos and stuff.

I like OSX and macbooks, in fact, i have become a fan of their build quality, and i dont think i would get anything else thats not similar.

Wouldnt use OSX as my main desktop os tho, i like my games and stuff.

I agree that they're nice machines. I know some PC fanboys who insist Apple computers are crap. I don't think so, but they're over $1000 more expensive than an equivalent PC and I don't think they're THAT much nicer. If you didn't spend the money on it though it wouldn't bother you, but for someone weighing the options and budget isn't unlimited, considering an Apple laptop is nearly a joke. It depends on personal preference/situation of course though.

Macbooks I think are alright, because you shouldn't be doing much on laptops anyway. If you got the mac or w/e they are called now I find them pointless compared to anything you can buy. In my class we used mac pros (just checked the names) and they were nice machines, but they are just so damn over priced and I still do not see how OSX is easier to use than windows. Also while using them I always wondered why we just didn't use linux. lol

They are actually pretty great computers. I think people hate on macs because of the specs people look at. To Majority of people: High Price + Low Specs = BAD BUY. But really it goes much farther than that.

I bought mine in 2011 and upgraded to an intel 520 ssd. Couple things i have noticed: 1) The build quality is just amazing. I have to say it rivals thinkpads, and are (to me) much more appealing. This is something i would gladly spend more money on.

2) No os is perfect, but mac does seem to be much more reliable than windows. My gaming computer was out of commission for 6-7 months. so i was using my mac for everything. when i got back to my build and installed windows 8 on it (it was cheap for me). I suddenly remembered all the minor frustrations that windows offers (if you want me to list it message me). I took me countless hours finding work around for the bugs (something i never did on my mac).

3) OSX compensates for the lack of hardware. My MBP does NOT have good specs. i consider it mediocre. But the os is so efficient it made it one of the fastest computers I own (for comparison my gaming computer is an i5 760 @ 3.9Ghz, 16gb of ram, and a gtx 560ti). Battery life was another surprise. It turns out that running osx gives you +3hours over running the same computer in windows 7.

its not a perfect computer but it is well worth the price, despite the mediocre specs.

Usually, the people who hate on Macs are one of the following:

1. Kids who can't afford them

2. Hardcore gamers

3. An adult who has never used one before and is uneducated towards Macs

If you really think about it, most professionals use both Macs and PCs. Yes, when you buy a Mac, you are buying something that is overpriced for the hardware, but you get the Mac operating system and all the apps that go with it.

Also, people who have a Mac usually can't come up with an argument as to why they have one, simply because they like it better. There doesn't have to be a reason.

I personally have a Mac, but I have a special program that lets me run windows programs while inside the Mac OS. And if that doesn't work, I also have a 60GB partition (which I mostly use for gaming) for Windows because you can install Windows on a Mac.

Macbooks I think are alright' date=' because you shouldn't be doing much on laptops anyway. If you got the mac or w/e they are called now I find them pointless compared to anything you can buy. In my class we used mac pros (just checked the names) and they were nice machines, but they are just so damn over priced and I still do not see how OSX is easier to use than windows. Also while using them I always wondered why we just didn't use linux. lol[/quote']

OS X is easier to use to the entry-level consumer, I bet. Take the Finder for example. There are only a few buttons, and none of them are "hidden". The Back/Forward buttons, Layouts, Preview, and Options. You open up Explorer, you've got back and forward buttons, an entire extra bar that has Organize (which has a lot more options), Share, Burn, and New Folder, A button to change the size of the previews, an option to show a previews pane, and a help button. My first thought is, how many of the options in windows do you actually use (like the preview pane)? You can see how (especially for new users) OS X can seem a lot less complex. If you're comparing OS X to Windows 8, it's even more so, because of the fact you need to learn to use two different interfaces in Windows 8, and the way it jumps between them a lot is also confusing. OS X is a more constant experience, so once you know how to use one part, you know the rest.

I personally wouldn't own a Mac because I am too much of a gamer, but I don't see them as overpriced at all. Take the 27in iMac for example. For $2000 you get a sexy all in one that comes with a 1440p $1000 display and a GPU with comparable performance to a desktop 670. You can probably build a computer cheaper but that monitor and form factor makes it a sweet deal.

The macbook airs are also reasonably well priced starting at just $1000. Again I personally wouldn't own one, but I would never fault someone for buying one. I think anyone who judges someone or calls someone a sheep just because of the tech products they like are morons. I hate going on xda developers and seeing my fellow android users calling iPhone and mac owners idiots, sheeple, and technologically inept. It just makes no sense.

KOtech said:
Macs removes the clutter in my opinion. Premium feel along with solid OS creates the best productivity enviroment personally.

You dont get that with ultrabooks. fugly ultrabooks.. in my opinion.

BTW pages > MS WORD, anyday.

Same with Keynote.

:D

Google docs is nice. 

A lot of people don't understand that the design and materials uses for the casing does cost money.

People just look at specs rather than the design. It's like comparing a rig with the same specs in a $300 case and a $30 case.

Also why hate a company that sells their products over the average? Don't like it, don't buy it. Apple are obviously doing something right else they'd go bust.

I own a few Apple products and I don't mind paying the extra, I love the design. If you have the money for it, why not?

It's true that there is a value to quality construction, but I don't think you understand exactly how overpriced Mac laptops are. My $750 laptop has better specs than a $1800 MacBook Pro. A MacBook Pro with equal specs would be $2200, although it does have a better display so in order to compare the value more properly, I'll give my laptop a theoretical $250 display upgrade to bring it up to par with the Mac screen (it's not offered, but that seems to be a reasonable price for that, an overestimate even). So we can say about half of that MacBook Pro cost (~1000) goes toward the CPU, GPU, motherboard, RAM, hard drive, and display, and the other half ($1200 or so) goes toward the casing. I do think the MacBook Pro design is better than my laptop, but not THAT much better. If my laptop had a +$1200 "MacBook Pro Chassis" upgrade, I wouldn't have purchased it, I can tell you that XD. That would be a hefty amount more than my entire laptop.

I'm not bothered if someone else wants to pay that fee for a solid laptop, that amount is worth more to some than others. But I do think you should at least face the fact that you are paying 150% more for a 20% better product, rather than trying to spin it as if the price delta is in line with what you get.