Need help choosing a new monitor

Benny867
Go to solution Solved by liilMatt,

i read somewhere that higher resolution is actually an advantage when playing LoL because then you can zoom out more, thus giving you better viewing area.

just read some reviews on this monitor, and it has actually gotten several complaints on "dead pixels". Dont know i should be alarmed by that.

also what is the point of getting Freesync if it only works with AMD (?) and at 700 USD in my country its a little over my budget.

Is it worth getting 144hz? (its the difference between 60 and 144 that big, and will you notice it)

I personally haven't tried anything above 60hz so i have absolutely no idea if it is any major difference.

but i think my GPU can handle it. i tried (with my old monitor ) turning V-Sync of so i could see just how many FPS i got in different games, and even on max settings, i often got way over 200 fps, so i dont think the GPU performance will be any problem to that. (i know that theres a difference with resolution, thats why i tried it with dual full HD displays and still got over 200 fps on most of my "most played" games.

I didn't read reviews on the one I posted, at school so most stuff is blocked. Also, the monitor I just purchased, the Asus ROG Swift had a lot of bad reviews, like dead pixels, bad screen tearing and other stuff, I said oh well and still got it, but then again I paid an extra $100 to get a 2 year warranty. 

1. Yes it is worth getting 144hz I Love it, I can see the difference CLEARLY.

2. There is a major FPS difference from 1080p and 1440p for me, even when I gamed on 5760x1080 (3 monitors), I had more FPS on the triple setup than I do with my single 1440p gaming. I can let you know what FPS I get on some FPS games I have, what FPS games will you be playing? 

Also I listed the Freesync one because that was like the only one on newegg that I saw quickly in your budget and you said Gsync wasn't NEEDED. If you can spare the extra cash I would get what I have, even though you are spending more money for 144hz 1440p and the Nvidia 3d and of course, Gsync. I personally like the Gsync too, haven't tried the 3D yet though. I tell you what, if is HUGE! It's about 1 1/3 taller than my other monitors, I didn't expect it to be that big. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405&cm_re=Asus_ROG_swift-_-24-236-405-_-Product

First off, where did you hear about the zooming out bit for LOL. I haven't seen that. Also, I don't know if anyone else faced this issue, but I never get above 60 fps on League.

Onward, as my own experiences so I am not just talking out of my ass. I have a 970 G1, an Asus VG248QE (144hz at 1080p) and a Dell P2416D (1440p @ 60hz and ips).

I would say 144hz is a HUGE plus in fps games, so much more exciting and in control. You WILL notice a difference in how you see gaming (switching back and forth between 144fps and 60fps).

Triple Monitor Gaming, I always hated (thought it was cool when I first had the ability). It feels warped, and things feel out of place. It is more to show you can do it. Don't go triple monitor unless for productivity.

In terms of fps though and what I get on each monitor. It all really depends on what settings you like to play on. I like ultra typically. On a game like BF4. I am barely pulling 120-144 fps on med settings. I don't play BF4 on my 1440p monitor, because I feel like I am giving up on low response time and fps. 1440p will likely not help you game, it is an awe factor. I use my 1440p monitor for single player games - Assassin's Creed and Racing games really. Games I don't take seriously. And I use it for movies and shows (due to the ips display).

I maybe, on those games, get 80fps, but more typically I get 50-60 on games like Assassin's Creed Unity. If you would like I can get a basic fps on 1440p on BF4 multiplayer.

​Also, in regard to your last bit. I would not recommend 21:9 due to how most things are formatted for 16:9. Plus, 21:9 is getting pretty expensive, though it sounds like money isn't am object. If that is the case, get something that is 144hz IPS and 2k. But only if you intend on going SLI in the future.

Conclusion. 1440p (16:9) for casual (ips if you can manage), 144hz for serious.

Edit: Didn't realize there were 2 pages, but for the extra input my points still stand.

On LOL I tried triple Monitor Gaming for a time and found it just doesn't help much. You can't see any Lower or any higher than you could before. There just isn't a whole lot to see horizontally.

Glad to hear his input was helpful though :)

Hey 

so I'm looking to buy a new monitor after my old monitor became the bottleneck of my system.

I want at least 2k (2550 x ?) resolution. (the more, the better)

over 60 Hz

preferably widescreen (21:9) 

(G-Sync?)

27 inches or above (up to 35)

fast response time (5ms ish)

and preferably an IPS screen

my GPU is a GTX 970 (no OC)

i play mostly MOBA's (like League of Legends) but some FPS and GPU crushing car games.

i do a lot of multitasking with several pages open at the same time, that's why i want widescreen 21:9 format.

My budget is (max) 600 USD

I'm an avid league player and I heard that league doesn't scale well with 1440p+

I haven't bothered to research it much, but maybe you'd like to know this.

Instead of investing in one new monitor that's really high end, maybe you could grab 2 monitors so you could have a 3 monitor system? Just an idea.

Diamond 5 in League :)

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MX299Q-29-2560x1080-DisplayPort/dp/B00ENCTVDS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1443541734&sr=8-3&keywords=21+9+monitor

Here is one for about $450.

Product model: ASUS MX299Q

Resolution: 2560x1080

Diagonal length: "29"

Dimensions: 21:9

Inputs: DisplayPort, HDMI/MHL, and Dual-link DVI ports

Refresh rate: 60Hz

Response time: 5ms

Panel:AH-IPS

LED Backlit: Yes

G-sync: ??

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-29eb73p

This is the only one I found that fits your requirements. 2560x1080, 75Hz, 21.9 ultrawide, 29 inches, 5ms response time, IPS and within budget. No G-Sync though.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

This one has a response time of 5ms IIRC.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

If you can cough up the extra $25 the Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor is a great monitor that meets all of your criteria.

Processor Intel Core i5-4690K CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 RAM 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Case NZXT Phantom (Black) PSU Corsair CX600M Operating System Windows 10 Monitor BenQ GL2760H Headset Skullcandy PLYR 1 & Sennheiser Momentum

A single 970 might be a little wimpy for 1440p I wish I had a little more power with my SLI 970 on my 1440p screen. This one might work, but it has Free-Sync, not Gsync, and it also isn't 21:9 but the 144hz refresh rate is amazing once you upgrade to it. I'd personally stay away from 1440p until you get another 970. Also the 60+ hz might not help you since you only have a single 970, so you might not hit those higher frame rates too often. Anyway I found this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466&cm_re=1440p_144hz-_-24-236-466-_-Product  Not sure if it's good enough for you but worth a shot.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

This one has a response time of 5ms IIRC.

That was actually one of the better monitors i have seen, only problem is that i cant find a single place in my country that sells those :(

ASUS MX299Q 29" 21:9 2560x1080 AH-IPS DisplayPort HDMI DVI-D Back-lit LED Monitor

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MX299Q-29-2560x1080-DisplayPort/dp/B00ENCTVDS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1443541734&sr=8-3&keywords=21+9+monitor

Here is one for about $450; I'm not sure about what the response times are or whether it has g-sync or not.

thanks! i will definitely take this one into consideration!

Maybe a little too low "res" for my taste but definitely fits into my budget 

I'm an avid league player and I heard that league doesn't scale well with 1440p+

I haven't bothered to research it much, but maybe you'd like to know this.

Instead of investing in one new monitor that's really high end, maybe you could grab 2 monitors so you could have a 3 monitor system? Just an idea.

i read somewhere that higher resolution is actually an advantage when playing LoL because then you can zoom out more, thus giving you better viewing area.

A single 970 might be a little wimpy for 1440p I wish I had a little more power with my SLI 970 on my 1440p screen. This one might work, but it has Free-Sync, not Gsync, and it also isn't 21:9 but the 144hz refresh rate is amazing once you upgrade to it. I'd personally stay away from 1440p until you get another 970. Also the 60+ hz might not help you since you only have a single 970, so you might not hit those higher frame rates too often. Anyway I found this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466&cm_re=1440p_144hz-_-24-236-466-_-Product  Not sure if it's good enough for you but worth a shot.

just read some reviews on this monitor, and it has actually gotten several complaints on "dead pixels". Dont know i should be alarmed by that.

also what is the point of getting Freesync if it only works with AMD (?) and at 700 USD in my country its a little over my budget.

Is it worth getting 144hz? (its the difference between 60 and 144 that big, and will you notice it)

I personally haven't tried anything above 60hz so i have absolutely no idea if it is any major difference.

but i think my GPU can handle it. i tried (with my old monitor ) turning V-Sync of so i could see just how many FPS i got in different games, and even on max settings, i often got way over 200 fps, so i dont think the GPU performance will be any problem to that. (i know that theres a difference with resolution, thats why i tried it with dual full HD displays and still got over 200 fps on most of my "most played" games.

I didn't read reviews on the one I posted, at school so most stuff is blocked. Also, the monitor I just purchased, the Asus ROG Swift had a lot of bad reviews, like dead pixels, bad screen tearing and other stuff, I said oh well and still got it, but then again I paid an extra $100 to get a 2 year warranty. 

2. There is a major FPS difference from 1080p and 1440p for me, even when I gamed on 5760x1080 (3 monitors), I had more FPS on the triple setup than I do with my single 1440p gaming. I can let you know what FPS I get on some FPS games I have, what FPS games will you be playing? 

Also I listed the Freesync one because that was like the only one on newegg that I saw quickly in your budget and you said Gsync wasn't NEEDED. If you can spare the extra cash I would get what I have, even though you are spending more money for 144hz 1440p and the Nvidia 3d and of course, Gsync. I personally like the Gsync too, haven't tried the 3D yet though. I tell you what, if is HUGE! It's about 1 1/3 taller than my other monitors, I didn't expect it to be that big. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405&cm_re=Asus_ROG_swift-_-24-236-405-_-Product

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

when i put Gsync on the list, it was more of a way of asking if it is worth the extra money.

i will play BF4, CS GO and LoL mostly.

when i put Gsync on the list, it was more of a way of asking if it is worth the extra money.

i will play BF4, CS GO and LoL mostly.

Gsync is nice, I had a lot of screen tearing on my PC so I decided to go with it. BF4 on 1440p might be a little push. CSGO easy, a dell inspiron from 2008 could run CS GO. Not sure about LoL I hate LoL. I'll install Metro Last Light real quick and play it and tell you what FPS I get, and remember I have SLI, not a single 970.

Current PC: 

Gsync is nice, I had a lot of screen tearing on my PC so I decided to go with it. BF4 on 1440p might be a little push. CSGO easy, a dell inspiron from 2008 could run CS GO. Not sure about LoL I hate LoL. I'll install Metro Last Light real quick and play it and tell you what FPS I get, and remember I have SLI, not a single 970.

Sure, thanks mate!

That is only a myth; LoL uses HOR+ scaling (like most games) so any display with the same aspect ratio will have the same viewing area, regardess of resolution.

Sure, thanks mate!

Actually might not be too quickly, steam is being weird is my downloads keep pausing :/

Current PC: 

Sure, thanks mate!

OK so I finally got it downloaded, after about 10 minutes I had to rage quit because I suck at that game and it's scary :( Anyway I got around 60 FPS with every MAXED.

Current PC: 

That is only a myth; LoL uses HOR+ scaling (like most games) so any display with the same aspect ratio will have the same viewing area, regardess of resolution

what about having 21:9 instead of 16:9 ratio? does that make any difference on the game?

OK so I finally got it downloaded, after about 10 minutes I had to rage quit because I suck at that game and it's scary :( Anyway I got around 60 FPS with every MAXED.

is that with the 1440p display or the triple HD display?

what about having 21:9 instead of 16:9 ratio? does that make any difference on the game?

No clue. I wouldn't think so, since it will still be the same amount of pixels.

Current PC: 

No clue. I wouldn't think so, since it will still be the same amount of pixels.

but it will be wider. will it just stretch the picture, or will it show more of the "map" only in the with, or will it just "support" 16:9 and be black on the sides?

but it will be wider. will it just stretch the picture, or will it show more of the "map" only in the with, or will it just "support" 16:9 and be black on the sides?

No idea, dude. I've never owned one. I would assume it would use the whole monitor, but the pixels would be more spread out.

Current PC: 

No idea, dude. I've never owned one. I would assume it would use the whole monitor, but the pixels would be more spread out.

yeah, ill research a bit more. but i think i would still go with 21:9 just because it makes multitasking easier. with two almost full-size pages next to each other. and for other games like car games and such its a good advantage (i believe...)