Need help choosing a new monitor

Benny867
Go to solution Solved by liilMatt,

i read somewhere that higher resolution is actually an advantage when playing LoL because then you can zoom out more, thus giving you better viewing area.

just read some reviews on this monitor, and it has actually gotten several complaints on "dead pixels". Dont know i should be alarmed by that.

also what is the point of getting Freesync if it only works with AMD (?) and at 700 USD in my country its a little over my budget.

Is it worth getting 144hz? (its the difference between 60 and 144 that big, and will you notice it)

I personally haven't tried anything above 60hz so i have absolutely no idea if it is any major difference.

but i think my GPU can handle it. i tried (with my old monitor ) turning V-Sync of so i could see just how many FPS i got in different games, and even on max settings, i often got way over 200 fps, so i dont think the GPU performance will be any problem to that. (i know that theres a difference with resolution, thats why i tried it with dual full HD displays and still got over 200 fps on most of my "most played" games.

I didn't read reviews on the one I posted, at school so most stuff is blocked. Also, the monitor I just purchased, the Asus ROG Swift had a lot of bad reviews, like dead pixels, bad screen tearing and other stuff, I said oh well and still got it, but then again I paid an extra $100 to get a 2 year warranty. 

1. Yes it is worth getting 144hz I Love it, I can see the difference CLEARLY.

2. There is a major FPS difference from 1080p and 1440p for me, even when I gamed on 5760x1080 (3 monitors), I had more FPS on the triple setup than I do with my single 1440p gaming. I can let you know what FPS I get on some FPS games I have, what FPS games will you be playing? 

Also I listed the Freesync one because that was like the only one on newegg that I saw quickly in your budget and you said Gsync wasn't NEEDED. If you can spare the extra cash I would get what I have, even though you are spending more money for 144hz 1440p and the Nvidia 3d and of course, Gsync. I personally like the Gsync too, haven't tried the 3D yet though. I tell you what, if is HUGE! It's about 1 1/3 taller than my other monitors, I didn't expect it to be that big. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405&cm_re=Asus_ROG_swift-_-24-236-405-_-Product

First off, where did you hear about the zooming out bit for LOL. I haven't seen that. Also, I don't know if anyone else faced this issue, but I never get above 60 fps on League.

Onward, as my own experiences so I am not just talking out of my ass. I have a 970 G1, an Asus VG248QE (144hz at 1080p) and a Dell P2416D (1440p @ 60hz and ips).

I would say 144hz is a HUGE plus in fps games, so much more exciting and in control. You WILL notice a difference in how you see gaming (switching back and forth between 144fps and 60fps).

Triple Monitor Gaming, I always hated (thought it was cool when I first had the ability). It feels warped, and things feel out of place. It is more to show you can do it. Don't go triple monitor unless for productivity.

In terms of fps though and what I get on each monitor. It all really depends on what settings you like to play on. I like ultra typically. On a game like BF4. I am barely pulling 120-144 fps on med settings. I don't play BF4 on my 1440p monitor, because I feel like I am giving up on low response time and fps. 1440p will likely not help you game, it is an awe factor. I use my 1440p monitor for single player games - Assassin's Creed and Racing games really. Games I don't take seriously. And I use it for movies and shows (due to the ips display).

I maybe, on those games, get 80fps, but more typically I get 50-60 on games like Assassin's Creed Unity. If you would like I can get a basic fps on 1440p on BF4 multiplayer.

​Also, in regard to your last bit. I would not recommend 21:9 due to how most things are formatted for 16:9. Plus, 21:9 is getting pretty expensive, though it sounds like money isn't am object. If that is the case, get something that is 144hz IPS and 2k. But only if you intend on going SLI in the future.

Conclusion. 1440p (16:9) for casual (ips if you can manage), 144hz for serious.

Edit: Didn't realize there were 2 pages, but for the extra input my points still stand.

On LOL I tried triple Monitor Gaming for a time and found it just doesn't help much. You can't see any Lower or any higher than you could before. There just isn't a whole lot to see horizontally.

Glad to hear his input was helpful though :)

That would, yes. Here is 16:9 overlayed on 21.5:9 in LoL:

Z7YrehE.jpg

So it would be an advantage to use 21:9. Good to know.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help!

is that with the 1440p display or the triple HD display?

I was only gaming on the 1440p display. Also I just realized I'm a derp and didn't have SLI enabled xD So that's the FPS you would be getting!

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

I was only gaming on the 1440p display. Also I just realized I'm a derp and didn't have SLI enabled xD So that's the FPS you would be getting!

Thanks mate! good to know that it isn't a complete waste getting a 1440p display (for gaming that is). Although if i have a 21:9 aspect ratio it would be more like 3440x1440p instead of the tradidional 2560x1440 that you get with a 16:9. but even if my games cant gandle 3k(??) i will get max res if i do anything other than gaming. (and if i want to utilize more than 60 hz i can just turn it down to 2550x1080 or something to get all dem 144hz/fps)

Anyways. Thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it!

Thanks mate! good to know that it isn't a complete waste getting a 1440p display (for gaming that is). Although if i have a 21:9 aspect ratio it would be more like 3440x1440p instead of the tradidional 2560x1440 that you get with a 16:9. but even if my games cant gandle 3k(??) i will get max res if i do anything other than gaming. (and if i want to utilize more than 60 hz i can just turn it down to 2550x1080 or something to get all dem 144hz/fps)

Anyways. Thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it!

Yeah no problem, since those frames were pretty good on MAX settings, AA on and stuff, I'd say go for it!

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

Yeah no problem, since those frames were pretty good on MAX settings, AA on and stuff, I'd say go for it!

i will. and again thanks for all your help

i will. and again thanks for all your help

Yeah no problem.

Edit: Make sure you mark as solved.

Current PC: 

i read somewhere that higher resolution is actually an advantage when playing LoL because then you can zoom out more, thus giving you better viewing area.

just read some reviews on this monitor, and it has actually gotten several complaints on "dead pixels". Dont know i should be alarmed by that.

also what is the point of getting Freesync if it only works with AMD (?) and at 700 USD in my country its a little over my budget.

Is it worth getting 144hz? (its the difference between 60 and 144 that big, and will you notice it)

I personally haven't tried anything above 60hz so i have absolutely no idea if it is any major difference.

but i think my GPU can handle it. i tried (with my old monitor ) turning V-Sync of so i could see just how many FPS i got in different games, and even on max settings, i often got way over 200 fps, so i dont think the GPU performance will be any problem to that. (i know that theres a difference with resolution, thats why i tried it with dual full HD displays and still got over 200 fps on most of my "most played" games.

I didn't read reviews on the one I posted, at school so most stuff is blocked. Also, the monitor I just purchased, the Asus ROG Swift had a lot of bad reviews, like dead pixels, bad screen tearing and other stuff, I said oh well and still got it, but then again I paid an extra $100 to get a 2 year warranty. 

1. Yes it is worth getting 144hz I Love it, I can see the difference CLEARLY.

2. There is a major FPS difference from 1080p and 1440p for me, even when I gamed on 5760x1080 (3 monitors), I had more FPS on the triple setup than I do with my single 1440p gaming. I can let you know what FPS I get on some FPS games I have, what FPS games will you be playing? 

Also I listed the Freesync one because that was like the only one on newegg that I saw quickly in your budget and you said Gsync wasn't NEEDED. If you can spare the extra cash I would get what I have, even though you are spending more money for 144hz 1440p and the Nvidia 3d and of course, Gsync. I personally like the Gsync too, haven't tried the 3D yet though. I tell you what, if is HUGE! It's about 1 1/3 taller than my other monitors, I didn't expect it to be that big. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405&cm_re=Asus_ROG_swift-_-24-236-405-_-Product

First off, where did you hear about the zooming out bit for LOL. I haven't seen that. Also, I don't know if anyone else faced this issue, but I never get above 60 fps on League.

Onward, as my own experiences so I am not just talking out of my ass. I have a 970 G1, an Asus VG248QE (144hz at 1080p) and a Dell P2416D (1440p @ 60hz and ips).

I would say 144hz is a HUGE plus in fps games, so much more exciting and in control. You WILL notice a difference in how you see gaming (switching back and forth between 144fps and 60fps).

Triple Monitor Gaming, I always hated (thought it was cool when I first had the ability). It feels warped, and things feel out of place. It is more to show you can do it. Don't go triple monitor unless for productivity.

In terms of fps though and what I get on each monitor. It all really depends on what settings you like to play on. I like ultra typically. On a game like BF4. I am barely pulling 120-144 fps on med settings. I don't play BF4 on my 1440p monitor, because I feel like I am giving up on low response time and fps. 1440p will likely not help you game, it is an awe factor. I use my 1440p monitor for single player games - Assassin's Creed and Racing games really. Games I don't take seriously. And I use it for movies and shows (due to the ips display).

I maybe, on those games, get 80fps, but more typically I get 50-60 on games like Assassin's Creed Unity. If you would like I can get a basic fps on 1440p on BF4 multiplayer.

​Also, in regard to your last bit. I would not recommend 21:9 due to how most things are formatted for 16:9. Plus, 21:9 is getting pretty expensive, though it sounds like money isn't am object. If that is the case, get something that is 144hz IPS and 2k. But only if you intend on going SLI in the future.

Edit: Didn't realize there were 2 pages, but for the extra input my points still stand.

On LOL I tried triple Monitor Gaming for a time and found it just doesn't help much. You can't see any Lower or any higher than you could before. There just isn't a whole lot to see horizontally.

about what you said about not getting over 60 fps in League.

i had the same issue before, but after some researching i found out that since i have a 60hz/fps monitor and V-sync turned on. i will only get max 60 fps, since thats what my monitor is running.

if you either in-game turn of "wait for vertical syn" and/or turn of v-sync for that particular game in nvidia control panel you will get a lot more.

on my 60fps, 1080 monitor, with max settings in LoL i got around 300 fps.

so anyway, its the v-sync that is limiting it for 60 fps. (maybe its because you have one 60hz monitor in your setup (?) it measures how many fps you have on the "worst" monitor (aka the weakest link)

Let me know if that worked out for you.

about what you said about not getting over 60 fps in League.

i had the same issue before, but after some researching i found out that since i have a 60hz/fps monitor and V-sync turned on. i will only get max 60 fps, since thats what my monitor is running.

if you either in-game turn of "wait for vertical syn" and/or turn of v-sync for that particular game in nvidia control panel you will get a lot more.

on my 60fps, 1080 monitor, with max settings in LoL i got around 300 fps.

so anyway, its the v-sync that is limiting it for 60 fps. (maybe its because you have one 60hz monitor in your setup (?) it measures how many fps you have on the "worst" monitor (aka the weakest link)

Let me know if that worked out for you.

Eh, LOL was never a game I played consistently anyway. And yes, since I bought my 1440p (60hz) monitor, I don't play on my 144hz monitor, 60 fps is fine for such a game. Thanks though, I will be sure to try this next time I play.

I remember how much I laughed at my friend, as I talked about how it was maxing me at 60fps, when he told me that was all the performance my 970 could put out lol.