Should It Be Okay to Shoot a Drone over Your Backyard?

Blaze101xx

No its not okay, it could be some kids playing with their new toy, or a photographer doing a landscape of the town with his £1500 drone

If you are allowed to shoot my drone, I am allowed to stab you in the nuts

Honestly, dont be a dick, the pilot will be close by, just be like "excuse me do you mind not flying around my property" 

And if you find it hovering outside your bathroom window?

Admittedly, I've always thought that having windows in your bathroom is kind of stupid.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

And if you find it hovering outside your bathroom window?

Admittedly, I've always thought that having windows in your bathroom is kind of stupid.

I would grab it, and wait for the pilot to knock on my door, and then I would be like "if I catch you around here again I will kick you in the dick end" and I would make him wipe the memory card

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I would grab it, and wait for the pilot to knock on my door, and then I would be like "if I catch you around here again I will kick you in the dick end" and I would make him wipe the memory card

I wouldn't be giving it back at all, I would be calling the police. Especially if my wife/child were the one in the bathroom at the time.

I would still shoot it down on my current property, mainly because it would be more than safe to do so (big property that we rent) with some bird shot. Nearest house to us is half a mile away through the woods.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I wouldn't be giving it back at all, I would be calling the police. Especially if my wife/child were the one in the bathroom at the time.

I would still shoot it down on my current property, mainly because it would be more than safe to do so (big property that we rent) with some bird shot. Nearest house to us is half a mile away through the woods.

If I had children there that the drone could be filming 100% I would hold it and call the police to investigate, absolutely

Shooting it down is the most cuntish thing to do.. 99% of the time I see no reason to destroy somebodies expensive equipment unless it poses some sort of threat

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yes all of this is possible, and scary. None of these are actually new capabilities: we've been able to do this kind of stuff with RC devices for years, decades even.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If the right circumstances were met, I would have no issues shooting down a drone. Like other have said already, if it is just flying by, I'm not going to mess with it. If you are hovering over my sunbathing girlfriend... You're going to lose that drone. 

drone-loads-product-image-2.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

No its not okay, it could be some kids playing with their new toy, or a photographer doing a landscape of the town with his £1500 drone

If you are allowed to shoot my drone, I am allowed to stab you in the nuts

Honestly, dont be a dick, the pilot will be close by, just be like "excuse me do you mind not flying around my property" 

I dont get the drone animosity, I would wave and be like "wow awesome a done", if it was equipped with a camera, and acting suspicious I might capture it and wait for the pilot to come retrieve it and ask him to delete the footage

I can respect your view on this, but personally there are different variables at play for everyone to determine whether or not it should be justified.

The reason for my "roof level" reasoning is I have a single story home which means anything on level with my roof is pretty low to the ground.  I have a clear view of my neighbors so unless I see some one in their back yard playing with a new toy the drone is going to be considered a threat.

While we view these as "toys" they can be dangerous to property and animals.  Those rotors spin pretty fast and on expensive models they could hurt any pets that come in contact with them. 

Personally I'd prefer to "capture it" and then tether it to a cinder block while I wait for the police, but if its between damage to my property or injury of one of my dogs then the water hose is coming out.

Also bare in mind for people who live in the country where the nearest humans live almost a mile away then a drone hovering over your property, especially at roof level, is very suspicious.

Oh and while we are on the subject don't ever fly your drone near a US nuclear plant.  They WILL shoot it down and you WILL go to jail.

SNIP

Sure that all makes sense and I agree

I just think that its going to be rare somebody is really doing it be malicious, people are way too destroy peoples shit

obviously if you have taken all steps possible, or its being a threat, fine, but thats just the same as if someobody broke into your property, I wouldnt immediately shoot them in the head, I would be like "excuse me can I help"

I think if someone is obviously doing it to affect your life then maybe do it as a last resort, but if you turn to a gun as the first method of solving a problem then I'm very fucking happy I don't live near you. But outside of that specific and unlikely scenario I think you're a unreasonalbe prick to do it.

If it's just flying around, whatever.

If you're hovering in my yard, GGNR your drone

Stop being a fuccboi with your drone.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

Since shooting is illegal and you reckon that the drone may be spying on you then why not set up a spot light and if it ever comes to your lawn,point the light at it.

Sure that all makes sense and I agree

I just think that its going to be rare somebody is really doing it be malicious, people are way too destroy peoples shit

obviously if you have taken all steps possible, or its being a threat, fine, but thats just the same as if someobody broke into your property, I wouldnt immediately shoot them in the head, I would be like "excuse me can I help"

To each their own.

If I caught a person on my property  I wouldn't shoot them immediately unless they are trying to steal or injure my dogs then its game over for them.  You don't mess with a man's kids.

If its in your yard & spying on you (hovering, not moving, with a camera on),

can you use a net to catch it, then burn it with fire to melt it into a slab of plastic, then throw it away?

Maybe the issue with using a shotgun is the danger it poses to nearby civilians, obviously you want to use bird/buck-shot not slugs.

A high powered watergun also sounds like a good idea, I've also heard of jammers (jamming devices), anti-drones, etc.

Here's a fun video just for lulz...

Birdshot will do fine most of the time, except against this drone.

Chooser of the Slain

If I see a drone hovering around my backyard, some birdshot will be coming its way. 

Maybe the issue with using a shotgun is the danger it poses to nearby civilians, obviously you want to use buck-shot not slugs.

I'd say birdshot. I bet that would take it down if you hit it right, and it won't go as far. 

I'm pretty sure that you don't own the airspace high up over your house, only the land property. So unless it's like hovering below the height of the roof of your house, no.

"Rawr XD"

Yes, if it sticks around or does anything suspicious. If it just quickly passes by, no. Though for me I'd shoot either way.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'm pretty sure that you don't own the airspace high up over your house, only the land property. So unless it's like hovering below the height of the roof of your house, no.

Actually in the US it used to be when you owned the property you owned everyone on the land "down to hell and up to heaven."

with the advent of air planes the "up to heaven" part has been amended but you do own a fair amount of the space above your property to an extent. 

What about the illegal Drone murdering the US Army does since 911?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

You can shoot at those, however they might very well shoot back...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I would prefer to disable it non-destructively, with something like a signal jammer, and then taking out its battery.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You would have to cite what specific laws the US is breaking.

Also drone strikes didn't occur until sometime after 9/11 as the first drones were recon only. 

Why do round pizzas come in square boxes? These are the burning questions that literally eat at me if I think about them too long.

Because it is simpler, cheaper and easier to make a square box than a round one (a square box can be formed from a single sheet of card ) and also it is easier to store, transport and pack square boxes which will remain in a flat state until needed and are quickly assembled at point of use.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze