Does overclocking your CPU provide any linear performance increases?

Go to solution Solved by ClownFace1511,

4.4 to 4.8 isn't going to do much. Your wasting your money if you are going to pay extra for a chip to get that. Just because you overclock something doesn't mean that every 100mhz you will get an extra 5fps gain for example. Stick with what you have, try pump some more voltage in it and see what you get.

in certain apps which are CPU bound

maybe a few fps

but for most games hardly 1 fps gain

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

depends on the program

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

in certain apps which are CPU bound

maybe a few fps

but for most games hardly 1 fps gain

Im asking because someone told me about this website http://siliconlottery.com/ and I was wondering if its basically just a waste of money to pay extra for a few more hertz

Im asking because someone told me about this website http://siliconlottery.com/ and I was wondering if its basically just a waste of money to pay extra for a few more hertz

it just better to try your luck with OC

who knows you got a good chip without needing to buy one

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

it just better to try your luck with OC

who knows you got a good chip without needing to buy one

Like you said, its a marginal gain. So I guess Ill just try my luck the old fashioned way :P

You get exactly 400Mhz more, that really says it all. Some applications will be able to take advantage of this, others wont. Should you pay extra for a chip guaranteed to do the overclock? Not really, even with no overclock the i7's are doing really good.

Read my above comment

400 million hertz is not just a "few more hertz"

whether its worth your money is up to you

a lot of people like having the option to overclock for fun, for better performance, or just for bragging rights

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4.4 to 4.8 isn't going to do much. Your wasting your money if you are going to pay extra for a chip to get that. Just because you overclock something doesn't mean that every 100mhz you will get an extra 5fps gain for example. Stick with what you have, try pump some more voltage in it and see what you get.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

I've seen improvements in frame rate and stability in several games going from 3.5 to 4.6. All depends on the game.

If anyone asks you never saw me.