zen at 16nm not 14nm? tsmc, not globalfoundries

fade2green514

http://wccftech.com/amd-contracts-tsmc-produce-zen-16nm-woes-14nm-process-troubles-globalfoundries/#ixzz3mgzE7C88

AMD has allegedly decided to delegate the responsibility of producing its hotly anticipated Zen CPU chips to TSMC on its 16nm FinFET process. This development has allegedly unfolded amidst AMD fears of Globalfoundries’ slow 14nm FinFET yield and capacity progress. And while these claims do seem plausible I should still provide a note of caution as this is very much a rumor at this moment in time and as such was tagged accordingly.

sorry mobile won't let me put quotes in.

I don't personally believe it as 16nm is probably for a gpu advancement, not for a cpu architecture. but, I could be wrong.

Well it took some time for Intel to release 14nm.....so i guess AMD doesn't want to wait that long to release Zen before the next gen Intel CPUs come out.

I don't think a couple of nanometers really makes all that much difference. Die shrinks alone don't increase performance, and 2nm difference is going to have negligible impact on power consumption.

I don't think a couple of nanometers really makes all that much difference. Die shrinks alone don't increase performance, and 2nm difference is going to have negligible impact on power consumption.

shouldnt impact performance but sometimes die shrinks do... because, they can sometimes fit more transistors. but, its all dependent on architecture and how the cpu is put together.

either way, cant wait for zen.

Slowpoke Foundries

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

i say they should take their time and make the best they can make

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

For those arguing node sizes... https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/3884-who-will-lead-10nm.html

For all intents and purposes, TSMC 16nm = Samsung/GloFo 14nm in density. Both use 20nm BEOL to make the transition easier at the cost of some lost density. The only real 14nm node currently is Intel's. That said, let's wait to see how the chips turn out.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

i say they should take their time and make the best they can make

If it's too late then lakes in the kaby/lakes in the cannon would take over the entire CPU market.....nobody wants Vishera....

Hopefully they manage to bring a great CPU that can compete on high end. I really want to see prices go down and hopefully bring 8-cores to reasonable price.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |