Western Digital to abandon ‘Green’ brand in favour of ‘Blue’ HDDs

sylarspock

Is the picture in the OP an actual cutout window design that can be bought, because I would buy it....

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Am I the only one here who actually likes the greens, they are cheap and for mass storage they do the job well. I've been using a one as my media NAS storage and It's never let me down at all. 

@Captain_WD

so theyre combining the blues and the greens?  do we now get WD Teal drives? that would be sweet!

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

they should merge Black and Velociraptor... So all black drives has 10400 RPM.... Now that is performance.

fun fact though, although i cannot find it anymore, WD had a HDD with 20.000 RPM speed some 5+ years back... it cost more then my whole gaming rig does today.

Yeh lol you cant find 20K RPM drives anymore because theyve been replaced, its called an SSD ;)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I don't see HDD's needing to be fast anymore. With SSD being fairly cjeap these days you can easily have and SSD and some HDD's. HDD's for storage and SSD's for the OS and some games and stuff. There is no reason really why SSD's would be used to store music files. I suppose this is just the beginning of HDD's being wound down until SSD's take over at some point. I just want to see a really cheap SSD, that as fast as a HDD but the reliability of an SSD. But that's just me.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Actually they have 2tb + blues now already (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771436.pdf) all the way to 6tb 

All the ones above 1tb are 5400 rpm though

Quote,

"For a limited period of time current WD Green HDDs will be sold under WD Blue brand,"

I believe they just rebrand the 2-6TB Green as Blue for now.

Prediction: Greens will come back, as something different. Be it SSDs, Hybrid drives, or whatever.
What did Green have going for it anyway? They were lower performance Blues without that much price difference. - Though at one point Blues were not going above 1TB.

Or is WD gonna be like Seagate and say that SSDs will go nowhere and HDDs will live forever in every PC (I know that make terrytek happy, though I think he likes Seagate)

Once you go Black.

I have had a couple of WD Blacks die prematurely on me (one in the first six months), so I have no brand allegiance on hard drives. I just assume they're all crap and can die at any time, so I keep multiple backups of important data. With that said, I still have one WD Black from about 2006 I'm still running, though it's probably on its last legs and I keep unimportant stuff like movies on it. And then another from 2008 that's still running (I used to buy nothing but WD Black drives). So my experience has been a crapshoot with WD Black.

Looks like 2tb+ are just rebranded greens. I hope to see 7200rpm 2tb+ blues after inventory is liquidated though.

Ah man, that sucks.

honestly, with 4TB SSD programmed in early 2016, I'm not buying any HDD anymore, ever...

Interesting. Personally I have one WD green. It works like a charm ^~^. Nice to see Blue and Green HDD mix. Why not call it yellow from now on ? Mixing reliable storage of green while maintaining the lightning fast speed of 7200 RPM?

Keep an eye on the load/unload cycle count, most green drives park their heads every 8-10 seconds, and that is not good for the health of the drive.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

honestly, with 4TB SSD programmed in early 2016, I'm not buying any HDD anymore, ever...

Agreed. I have more or less transitioned to using my OLD SSDs for storage now, and longer term archival data going into the NAS.

Downloads, music,  video clips, Documents etc are on my OLD Crucial SSDs now. 

With tthe price of SATA Based SSD dropping  $/gb and the introduction of affordable faster NVME SSD(950 Pro), the future is here.

So long as this doesn't push up the prices of WD Reds, I won't mind.

The Green drives have been great in my PC, but now that I have a NAS, I'll only buy Reds.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | RAM: G.Skill 32Gb at 3200Mhz | GPU:  GTX 1080ti